İlkay Gündoğan

Porque

Whose idea was it to to big on Gundy last summer?

Xavi explicit request?

Alemany doing whatever it takes to get over the line?

Laporta/Yuste?

jamrock

Just a good market opportunity, that the club saw and took.

Doubt it was anyone's idea, much as Barca forum loves that kind of things.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I mean if he stays I think he can have a good season so he's not some kind of anchor dragging us down like certain other players. Will be more open to leave next summer I think.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Short term planning if need him out this summer though for 24/25 signings.

Yes, although I'm not a fan of these media campaigns against players, especially those who have performed well or to an acceptable standard when it's the board's fault for not thinking long-term or being able to sort out their problems.

Someone like Gundogan probably joined planning to stay 2-3 years, possibly rejecting other offers. You cannot blame him for wanting to stick around when it's no fault of his own.

Not saying you are, but I see a lot of it on social media and Catalan papers. Same thing with Lewandowski even though I'd really want to see him go to Saudi.

No one pulled a gun to Laporta's head and forced him to sign him. Especially when his lapdog claimed Messi's age was a hindrance to the club moving forward and then you go out and sign a 34 year old for 50m.

Porque

Yes, although I'm not a fan of these media campaigns against players, especially those who have performed well or to an acceptable standard when it's the board's fault for not thinking long-term or being able to sort out their problems.

Someone like Gundogan probably joined planning to stay 2-3 years, possibly rejecting other offers. You cannot blame him for wanting to stick around when it's no fault of his own.

Not saying you are, but I see a lot of it on social media and Catalan papers. Same thing with Lewandowski even though I'd really want to see him go to Saudi.

No one pulled a gun to Laporta's head and forced him to sign him. Especially when his lapdog claimed Messi's age was a hindrance to the club moving forward and then you go out and sign a 34 year old for 50m.

In the end we knew perfectly well the financial tight rope we were walking last year given we had to go through a loophole to get Inigo registered.

As you say, can't be going all out giving Gundy the best deal then trying to force him out a year later. Plus we only offered that deal because a transfer fee is not a factor.

Cake and eat it too. Which with Laporta makes sense he doesn't understand the phrase.

Back to Gundagon and Lewy, big mistake are the renewal clause activations after certain number of games. Can't be doing that on old players. Shouldn't do it on any player really, but when players are at the end of their career, if the agent demands that then it is probably best to walk away. These are not franchise players to pull that.

FCMessi

Good offense, bad defense, FDJ defense.

Single handedly gave up 2 goals during the preseason in less than 90 minutes for all games combined.

JamDav1982

not sure there is such a thing as far far below FDJ on defense.

There is.. Gundogan.. Pedri below him also... Gavi makes more tackles but would be a lot worse as defensive DM also.

FDJ much better defensively than made out.. not a natural defensive DM though clearly.

I will bet if FDJ stays when fit he is the main DM again.. and other folk being worse will not play there.

Messi983

Frenkie and Gavi as more defensive midfielders
Gundo and Pedri as deep lying playmakers
Olmo and Fermin as AMC

That's how I see it if everyone fit to play. But we probably won't have that luxury often, lol. So good that all midfielders can play different roles if needed.

Masetro10

I get a feeling that Flick is about to put Gundo back in the double pivot in that Fabian Ruiz type role Spain used. I doubt he will break up the tried and true Yamal/Olmo/Nico if Nico actually does come in.

xXKonan

Hmmm.
Gündogan has not fully recovered from the knock he sustained against AS Monaco, and for precautionary reasons, he is not included in the squad.
@samuelmarsden

He suffered with headaches and dizziness during Saturday’s training session.

But

Breaking: Gündogan's future at the club is currently uncertain. His departure would free up salary mass to register players and they do not consider him essential.
@xlemus

Gündogan trained well and was fine for the whole week.
@xavi__hdez

Home of Barca Fans