İlkay Gündoğan

suckabov

Lemon curry?
I hope Gundogan doesn't leave BVB. They really have a special project going on over there.

They will continue that regardless of Gündogan/Lewandowdki etc though. Klopp is building something for the future and trying to turn BVB into a top club. I guess he's willing to lose players until they are there. Much like Wenger, somehow. (He actually talked about that after the Lewandowski saga, said they wanted to make BVB a club that players want to join and not leave, but that would take some time still and it was completely natural that in the mean time their top players considered other alternatives).

Anyway, I'd be happy for BVB if he renewed too but happier if we signed him.

He has said twice that he's a Barcelona fan. That doesn't mean anything (Isco, Özil), but if we went for him... who knows.

Last edited:

suckabov

Lemon curry?
The thing with Özil was that at the end Pep didn't want him. If we had went all out for him, there's a good chance he would have chosen us over RM. Same for Gündogan. It all depends on whether we will, though.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The thing with Özil was that at the end Pep didn't want him. If we had went all out for him, there's a good chance he would have chosen us over RM. Same for Gündogan. It all depends on whether we will, though.

Turning Mesut away was a bad idea by Pep, IMO...But I do agree that at the end of the day even a fan of the club can be tempted by the money of the capital club, Özil wasn't the first and certainly won't be the last. Gündoğan is an outstanding talent, IMO, but back issues are often a chronic issue so it'll be important to know how he recovers

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Turning Mesut away was a bad idea by Pep, IMO...But I do agree that at the end of the day even a fan of the club can be tempted by the money of the capital club, Özil wasn't the first and certainly won't be the last. Gündoğan is an outstanding talent, IMO, but back issues are often a chronic issue so it'll be important to know how he recovers

I don't even think money was the deciding factor in the Özil saga - if Pep had wanted him, would he still have chosen Real? That's speculation but I don't think so. Same for Gündogan. What comes as a convenient bonus in this case is that Gündogan is good friends with Sahin (and Özil too), so there's a chance that their bad experiences at Real might be a factor in his decision. There are some rumours regarding his alleged talks with Barca, saying that his father/uncle already communicated that he'd prefer not to go to Real because of Sahin. Even if false, it does seem logical that he'd consider those examples.

I agree however, we will see how he does in the second half of the season. He'll make a decision about his renewal in the coming weeks apparently, so I guess any negotiations (should he refuse to renew) will be made at the end of the season. We will have a better idea then. If he gets back to his old play, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't join the race - he's too good to let Real have him and we could use him.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I don't even think money was the deciding factor in the Özil saga - if Pep had wanted him, would he still have chosen Real? That's speculation but I don't think so. Same for Gündogan.

Well what I meant was that while Mesut was turned down by Pep (If we follow the rumours at the time) and he was then shopped to RM, it wasn't likely he'd turn away the move or money just because it wasn't Barcelona...Plus, in Mesut's case, nothing like sticking it to the club you grew up wanting to play for and were rejected by, to then go to their enemy...No one knows for certain how much Ilkay dreams of playing for the club like say Alexis to even reject more money to play here

I agree however, we will see how he does in the second half of the season. He'll make a decision about his renewal in the coming weeks apparently, so I guess any negotiations (should he refuse to renew) will be made at the end of the season. We will have a better idea then. If he gets back to his old play, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't join the race - he's too good to let Real have him and we could use him.

Definitely too good, plus I think he could add a much needed dimension to our midfield play...the way Xavi used to do with greater frequency, that deep lying playmaker ability

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Gundogan is suspected to suffer from chronic back condition that is not curable. Too bad. :( These damn injuries. Hope all footballers stay from these.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What's the name of the condition?

Spondylolisthesis. Pure speculation at this point.

That's because Gündogan suffers from spondylolisthesis. I hope I use the correct terms but simply put it's an anatomic instability of the upper spine where certain vertebrae don't work as they should. It can come with symptoms of pinched nerves in the spine cannel, resulting in (reversible) paralysis and/or inflammation. Both have happened to him and are the reason why he has been so long off. He still suffered from significant pain a week ago (he told the media).
Spondylolisthesis is a condition that can't be cured, surgery is only recommended in very rare occasions as you can end up having even more problems than before. Plus, a career as a professional football player is instantly off the table. All you can do is try to prevent any severe relapse through special training and pray. There are actually voices speculating he may not be able to continue his career as with this condition is simply impossible to make any predictions for how long he'll be relapse-free.

Home of Barca Fans