Ivan Rakitić

El Flaco

Injuries surely played a part. But in the end, Rakitic helped a lot in winning the treble.

Modric's long-term injury during the spring, was the biggest reason why Rakitic actually won the award.

I mean, who else was a serious contester for the prize aside Rakitic?

But Messi and Cristiano have similar roles don't they? Don't people compare them for the same reason? For a long while now, they've been the primary goal scorers of their team (maybe now Messi is more of a playmaker but 2012 Messi was pulling us through solely based on his goal scoring exploits in an overall bad season). The attack of both Madrid and Barcelona goes through both of them in the final third. Attackers have always been considered this way. Messi is different in the sense that he's a playmaker as well. But those type of attackers are literally non-existant, hence, they're always compared to the other attackers present who's primary job is to put the ball in the back of the net.

Comparing Modric and Rakitic is like comparing Vidal to Thiago and saying Thiago is better.
Obviously Thiago is better as a deep lying playmaker. But Vidal's job isn't only playmake, is it?
Messi & Cristiano are attackers on paper, but that's the only common thing between them.

The latter heavliy relies on his brilliant movement off the ball in order to find spaces in the penalty area and produce goals. He doesn't really create chances for himself either. It's not like that Cristiano hasn't been called for "Tap-inaldo" with a reason exactly, although I think it's a childish comment but it describe him well about what kind of player. the Portuguese actually is. And not to say about Cristiano's poor abilities when it comes to technique, passning game, decision making and so on. Messi's exactly opposite from what I previously said.

I know it's off-topic, but if it's acceptable to compare between Messi & Ronaldo, then it's nothing wrong with compare between Modric & Rakitic as well. Otherwise, you're hypocritical.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Modric's long-term injury during the spring, was the biggest reason why Rakitic actually won the award.

I mean, who else was a serious contester for the prize aside Rakitic?

The treble was likely the biggest reason. Even if Modric didn't get injured, Rakitic was part of a treble winning side, and scored in the CL final. Those type of awards are more for recognition of a player, than to actually measuring contributions or abilities.

Stric

Just to go back to the award discussion for a second - yes, Rakitić received the award for best Croatian player of the year the other day, but 2-3 months ago Modrić received the award for best Croatian player of the 14/15 sason, so there's that. :lol: The award(s) is/are a joke. Rakitić was easily the best Croatian player last season, but for some reason they gave the award to Modrić, who spent most of the season injured and won nothing. This award is probably just to make up for that embarrassment. But apart from that, I agree with some of you that Modrić is the better player in general. But that doesn't mean Rakitić didn't do well last season.

dakt

Which time was it so I can make a GIF of the situation (if it's possible of course)?

UnconsciousShamefulHarborporpoise.gif

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Just to go back to the award discussion for a second - yes, Rakitić received the award for best Croatian player of the year the other day, but 2-3 months ago Modrić received the award for best Croatian player of the 14/15 sason, so there's that. :lol: The award(s) is/are a joke. Rakitić was easily the best Croatian player last season, but for some reason they gave the award to Modrić, who spent most of the season injured and won nothing. This award is probably just to make up for that embarrassment. But apart from that, I agree with some of you that Modrić is the better player in general. But that doesn't mean Rakitić didn't do well last season.

What pisses me slightly (in Croatia) is something similar what is happening with La Masia at Barca.
Imo, people in Croatia hail Modric as some kind of the best midfielder who has ever walked on Earth.
When he came to Real, we had to read crappy stories about his haircut, what he ate for breakfast etc.
All news were like "let's all sit down in front of Tv or computer and watch the whole day what the fucking Modric does 24/7 in Real Madrid."
And when Real won a CL with Modric, oh no. You couldn't read anything related to sport anymore. It was all about Modric.
Sport was=Modric.
Football was=Modric.
Champions league was=Modric.
Real Madrid was=a club with Modric and 10 no name players.

On the other hand, Rakitic plays at Barca. With Real, the best club in a history of football.
Raki won a CL in his first season.
But the hype around Rakitic is probably around 30-50% of Modric's Real Madrid hype (in Croatia).

I have a feeling that people never "loved" Rakitic as much as fucking Modric, because Rakitic isn't actually raised in Croatia.
He lived and played in Switzerland and Germany since he was born.
While Modric played in Dinamo and other local clubs.

This somewhat reminds me on Bartra and some players.
Since he is Catalan, he is the next Puyol (or at least, he was supposed to be the next Puyol).
If he was from Czech republic, nobody on Barca forum would ever mention Bartresi as a decent player.

I don't think that Modric is loved/hyped much more ONLY because he is possibly a better player.
Emotions and nationality (in terms that he was raised here) play a huge part also.

For me, it was always:
Raki>scared kid Modric

God Serena

What pisses me slightly (in Croatia) is something similar what is happening with La Masia at Barca.
Imo, people in Croatia hail Modric as some kind of the best midfielder who has ever walked on Earth.
When he came to Real, we had to read crappy stories about his haircut, what he ate for breakfast etc.
All news were like "let's all sit down in front of Tv or computer and watch the whole day what the fucking Modric does 24/7 in Real Madrid."
And when Real won a CL with Modric, oh no. You couldn't read anything related to sport anymore. It was all about Modric.
Sport was=Modric.
Football was=Modric.
Champions league was=Modric.
Real Madrid was=a club with Modric and 10 no name players.

On the other hand, Rakitic plays at Barca. With Real, the best club in a history of football.
Raki won a CL in his first season.
But the hype around Rakitic is probably around 30-50% of Modric's Real Madrid hype (in Croatia).

I have a feeling that people never "loved" Rakitic as much as fucking Modric, because Rakitic isn't actually raised in Croatia.
He lived and played in Switzerland and Germany since he was born.
While Modric played in Dinamo and other local clubs.

This somewhat reminds me on Bartra and some players.
Since he is Catalan, he is the next Puyol (or at least, he was supposed to be the next Puyol).
If he was from Czech republic, nobody on Barca forum would ever mention Bartresi as a decent player.

I don't think that Modric is loved/hyped much more ONLY because he is possibly a better player.
Emotions and nationality (in terms that he was raised here) play a huge part also.

For me, it was always:
Raki>scared kid Modric

Why do you have to bring my beautiful Catalan angel into this? Just admit it: Bartra is an 11/10. I know you want to.

El Flaco

The treble was likely the biggest reason. Even if Modric didn't get injured, Rakitic was part of a treble winning side, and scored in the CL final. Those type of awards are more for recognition of a player, than to actually measuring contributions or abilities.

Win a treble is a team effort, not an indivtual one and shouldn't even be an argument about why Rakitic should win the award.

That being said, the Croatian was rock solid during the spring for us. But then again, he won it mostly because of lack of contesters for the award.

And regarding the recognition, Rakitic already got that years ago.

Stric

BBZ, some of what you wrote is absolutely true. Croatians were never as crazy about Rakitić as they are about Modrić (although I can't say I've heard anyone speak against Raki), and I'm sure it has at least something to do with him not coming through the ranks in the Croatian league etc. Also, Modrić has been the driving force and the best player in the national team for some time now so he gets a lot more recognition.

Home of Barca Fans