Ivan Rakitić

mark1nhu

It hurts me to say that, but I think Raki is not Barça material, despite playing greatly in our treble season (something it doesn't look to be repeated).

God Serena

Whenever teams are involved, whether it's competitive or cooperative, there are always people like Rakitic involved. Someone who joins the team/group who doesn't have any particular skills to justify adding them to the collective, but not bad enough to immediately reject. If you win, or if you succeed it's not really because of him, he was just... part of it. But if you lose or if you fail, and everyone starts looking for weak links in a search for improvement... he sticks out like a sore thumb. You might not say anything about him out loud but in the back of your head you know, if you can find someone, anyone, who can be an improvement, that someone will replace him an instant.

The problem is, this is Barca, and such people do not fit the description of what is commonly called "Barca Quality".

mark1nhu

Whenever teams are involved, whether it's competitive or cooperative, there are always people like Rakitic involved. Someone who joins the team/group who doesn't have any particular skills to justify adding them to the collective, but not bad enough to immediately reject. If you win, or if you succeed it's not really because of him, he was just... part of it. But if you lose or if you fail, and everyone starts looking for weak links in a search for improvement... he sticks out like a sore thumb. You might not say anything about him out loud but in the back of your head you know, if you can find someone, anyone, who can be an improvement, that someone will replace him an instant.

The problem is, this is Barca, and such people do not fit the description of what is commonly called "Barca Quality".

Great point.

That's how I feel about Raki, but usually refrain to say because I don't want to disrespect him.

Galning

What exactly is Barça quality? In the last treble season we had Xavi, Alves, Pedro,... and people kept saying that they were past it and not Barça quality anymore. Nowadays half the forum would chop off their left nut for either of those players.

If Rakitic isn't quality, then we have to sell 70% of the current squad.

JamDav1982

What exactly is Barça quality? In the last treble season we had Xavi, Alves, Pedro,... and people kept saying that they were past it and not Barça quality anymore. Nowadays half the forum would chop off their left nut for either of those players.

If Rakitic isn't quality, then we have to sell 70% of the current squad.

Only one of those three started and Alves was praised that season while Pedro/Xavi were seen as great back up or impact players.

For me starting midfielders need more technical ability than Rakitic has. He is more a Keita type player who should be back up at best.

MSN masked that for a lot of past couple years but time and again when they are off form the team crumbles and not enough support comes from midfield.

The current midfield doesnt control or dominate games nearly enough and Rakitic was never that type player anyway.

Galning

For me starting midfielders need more technical ability than Rakitic has. He is more a Keita type player who should be back up at best.

MSN masked that for a lot of past couple years but time and again when they are off form the team crumbles and not enough support comes from midfield.

The current midfield doesnt control or dominate games nearly enough and Rakitic was never that type player anyway.

I agree but in our current squad he is better than Turan, Suarez, Rafinha & Gomes. At least according to me he is. In a perfect world I would also not have Rakitic as a starter.

JamDav1982

I agree but in our current squad he is better than Turan, Suarez, Rafinha & Gomes. At least according to me he is. In a perfect world I would also not have Rakitic as a starter.

Would agree he is better than all of those players and for that reason he almost certainly wont go but still dont think him as a starter is good enough. Dont even think he is alll that much better than Sergi Roberto.

IPersonally hate when read phrases like 'work horse' or 'defensive ability' to describe what a midfielder brings at expense of technical ability. It all feels backwards and not what Barca is about.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Rakitic should stay even if he isn't the starter. More so for competition and depth.

Unless we receive a really good offer, but before that I'd want to see a replacement.

Worst thing we can do is sell Rakitic and sign yet another dud as his replacement.

serghei

Well, with 2 very good midfield signings, chances are Rakitic could lose the first 11. Is he a player you see as a clear starter, like Busquets is? No. He is one of those good players, that in a top class team is surrounded by even better ones.

He's just a good midfielder without being anything special. Problem is when you try to turn him into a marquee player. He is not that.

Raketa10

If we manage to sign one world class CM and a great RB in the summer that "Rakitic problem" will, be solved. He can rotate with Iniesta for that third midfield spot and he is more than good enough for that.

Endavant

If it's agreed that Rakitic is a back-up option, the next thing to look at is his cost. If his wages are too high, then he needs to be sold regardless. Freeing up any excessive wages is just as important as getting rid of sub-standard players.

Home of Barca Fans