Ivan Rakitić

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
From what I have seen to far, the Barca defense should be better this year, mainly because of Rakitic. The way he plays the entire field, it's like having an additional DM out there. He's going to take a lot of pressure off the full-time defenders, that will make them look a lot better.

Exactly and he used to play as DM in Sevilla and still plays as DM in Croatia's NT and he adds height to our defense when defending from set pecies as well because he is 184cm and Xavi is only 170cm.

Toecrusher

Very happy with the Rocket! Gives our team so many more options in attack, and adds stability to defence.

Only question mark is his control in tight spaces when truly pressed, but for now its all good!

L

linetty

Rakitic's heat map from yesterdays game

Bv1dtSHCEAAFSDj.jpg

slvtn

I wasn't really impressed with his signing at first, but the solid preseason and that Elche game pretty much convinced me. Definately a win for the team and a fighter.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Rakitic made at least 14 more passes vs Elche (104) than he has made in any Liga match since joining Sevilla in Jan 2011 [via @whoscored]

Rakitic can now unleash his full potential because he is surrounded by world class players.

BerkeleyBernie

Despite the difference in their builds, I noticed the mechanics of Rakitic's passing motion are very similar to Xavi. Almost had to check twice seeing the #4 instead of the #6.

His heat map was more on the right side, which could reflect a few things over last season: 1) Iniesta playing more centrally without Cesc in the way, 2) Messi more mobile, and dropping more often into that area to work with Alves and Rakitic. Both are good developments.

Watching the highlights again, I was impressed with his speed on the Pedro-Messi counterattack. He started far behind the other two, but caught up with them, even while making a smart diagonal run. I'm not even sure Pedro saw him, he came out of nowhere; Pedro already had assessed a 2v3 counter and, with Messi double-marked, was lining up his shot. I bet teammates will keep an eye open for his runs in the future.

BarcaJack

Rakitic goes forward when there is going to be a chance.
Fabregas goes forward regardless of the situations and believes he can create some chances every time.

He's only played one official game, but so far I'm really impressed by him. I've seen some people here saying he isn't world class, but imo it'll be safe to call him that if he performs like this all season, especially in the bigger games.

I was expecting him to be more of the kind of guy to play in smaller games to rest Xavi for the big ones, but now I believe he should be the starter over Xavi.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Despite the difference in their builds, I noticed the mechanics of Rakitic's passing motion are very similar to Xavi. Almost had to check twice seeing the #4 instead of the #6.

His heat map was more on the right side, which could reflect a few things over last season: 1) Iniesta playing more centrally without Cesc in the way, 2) Messi more mobile, and dropping more often into that area to work with Alves and Rakitic. Both are good developments.

Watching the highlights again, I was impressed with his speed on the Pedro-Messi counterattack. He started far behind the other two, but caught up with them, even while making a smart diagonal run. I'm not even sure Pedro saw him, he came out of nowhere; Pedro already had assessed a 2v3 counter and, with Messi double-marked, was lining up his shot. I bet teammates will keep an eye open for his runs in the future.

I got this from allas:

Bv6r-kpCcAADlQ7.jpg:large

Positioning of xavi/cesc were more central than rakitic/iniesta. Think he's spot on about this, it was the biggest change.

Home of Barca Fans