Ivan Rakitić

dakt

I got this from allas:

Bv6r-kpCcAADlQ7.jpg:large

Positioning of xavi/cesc were more central than rakitic/iniesta. Think he's spot on about this, it was the biggest change.

Offense and defense lines look much closer. Are these pics correct in these terms?
Looks much more suitable for tiki-taka.

Der Kaiser

I got this from allas:

Positioning of xavi/cesc were more central than rakitic/iniesta. Think he's spot on about this, it was the biggest change.

It looks like Messi has a lot more room to get the ball in deeper positions like that... it´s almost like a 5-2-1-2 with two wide strikers and Messi as a No. 10.

barcanuck

I got this from allas:

This is intresting, shows Cesc and Xavi just getting in each others way while Messi is walking alone up front.

blaugrana1987

This is intresting, shows Cesc and Xavi just getting in each others way while Messi is walking alone up front.
Haha exactly my thoughts! Rakitić is definitely upgrade, the guy can play every position from penalty spot to penalty spot. Also, having two strikers/wingers like Neymarez will benefit Messi tremendously. Just so much space to exploit that we should give out free lube instead of water bottles for opposite teams.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

One has to be careful about drawing specific conclusions from these average position markers. Also, if I recall, while Levante sat back, they also counterattacked quite a bit more than Elche, which means Barça would have spent less time in their half (moving the average positions further back). Heat maps are a bit more revealing, because they show the range of a player's movement, as well as their main area of influence.

Rakitic's heat map this game seems to be more like pre-Cesc Xavi's: weighted toward the right side of the midfield to help with the Messi-Alves attack.

barcanuck

One has to be careful about drawing specific conclusions from these average position markers. Also, if I recall, while Levante sat back, they also counterattacked quite a bit more than Elche, which means Barça would have spent less time in their half (moving the average positions further back). Heat maps are a bit more revealing, because they show the range of a player's movement, as well as their main area of influence.

Rakitic's heat map this game seems to be more like pre-Cesc Xavi's: weighted toward the right side of the midfield to help with the Messi-Alves attack.

I know professor I was being sarcastic ;)

Yugi

Haha exactly my thoughts! Rakitić is definitely upgrade, the guy can play every position from penalty spot to penalty spot. Also, having two strikers/wingers like Neymarez will benefit Messi tremendously. Just so much space to exploit that we should give out free lube instead of water bottles for opposite teams.

:lol:

Egert

Estonian Culé
Rakitic: "Luis Enrique asks me to shoot from outside area? Of course, he knows me, it's part of my game. When I have the chance, I do it."

BerkeleyBernie

Rakitic: "Luis Enrique asks me to shoot from outside area? Of course, he knows me, it's part of my game. When I have the chance, I do it."

Could play an important role this season. Imagine if all Alves crosses against buses last season had been blistering Rakitic outside shots instead. For my money, a much better chance of going in, or getting loose balls in the box to knock in.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Rakitic: "Comparisons with Schuster? It's an honour to be compared with such a great player, but I'm here to play my own game." #fcblive

Rakitic: "Douglas? Don't know him well but sure the club have done their job. We'll welcome him with open arms and hope he can help us soon"

Rakitic: "I'm having a great time playing with the best players in the world and I try to return the believe the coach has in." #fcblive

Rakitic: "Xavi is an idol. We all know what kind of player and person he is. I'm learning a lot from him." #fcblive

Rakitic: "Messi is the best player in the world and maybe the best ever. I'm grateful I can play with him." #fcblive

Rakitic: "Alonso and Di Maria leave Madrid? You have to respect their decision and wish them well. Alonso will have a great time in Germany"

Rakitic: "Munir didn't surprise me. I saw from the first day that he's very talented, he's a good guy and a hard worker." #fcblive

Rakitic: "Define Barcelona's squad? Impressive, brillant... Think that answers your question (laughs)" #fcblive

Rakitic: "Deulofeu at Sevilla? He'll have a great time there. Their style suits him, he'll get better." #fcblive

Rakitic: "Covering Alves when he attacks? It's important I keep an eye on things when my full back goes forward. We all have to work hard."

Home of Barca Fans