Javier Tebas (LFP President)

jamrock

No doubt. Whole league is basically giving us nothing to hang on to. Had to sell assets to stay afloat and compete. Can't remember a similar situation. We need to win a big title to make all of that struggle seem worth it.

Indeed as laporta said the league title will provide us some stability, something to build off, after the shit hand off the club was given, probably the worst in the history of professional sports.

Winning this will be huge, if they can figure out a way to fineese tebas BS in the summer & spend a bit of money, we'll be on our way to making the CL QF again.

Porque

Thebes is going to try and keep the Neguiera case in the public eye as much as possible.

El Espa?ol published an article with the revealing headline "LaLiga faces economic collapse: DAZN and CVC are considering terminating the contract with Javier Tebas". In response, LaLiga (LFP) issued a statement denying the information contained in the text and threatening to take legal action.

El Espa?ol is reporting that LaLiga's two business partners, the DAZN media platform and the CVC fund, are considering terminating their contracts with the organization due to financial and legal issues. In the case of the first entity, the problem is that investing 470 million euros a year to broadcast five games in a row does not give the expected benefit. DAZN has even had problems in recent months to meet its payment schedule to LFP. According to El Espa?ol, the company had to secure a ?4 billion injection last year from its main shareholder Access Industries to pay off its huge debt.

In total, the platform is expected to pay LaLiga 2.35 billion euros by 2027. According to information provided by El Espa?ol, DAZN had more than 300,000 subscribers in Spain before buying the broadcast rights and 500,000 after. The increase is not as large as expected for such a lucrative deal. According to the portal, if there is no significant increase in revenue in the 2023/2024 season, the company will have difficulties in fulfilling the contract. The article also says that even Thebes was supposed to talk about DAZN's difficulties during the meeting with the TV organ clubs. In turn, a representative of the platform confessed to El Espa?ol that there are no difficulties with the payments and that the termination of the contract is not contemplated, but did not deny that a new payment schedule has been agreed,

In turn, according to El Espa?ol, CVC would have considered the interruption of cooperation because the Sports Law approved in December 2022 does not guarantee the legal certainty of the contract with LaLiga. Yesterday the last hearing was held in the District Court on the precautionary measures requested by Real Madrid, Barcelona and Athletic that oppose the agreement. The aforementioned clubs consider the contract illegal, and the fact that such big brands do not join the contract raises the fund's doubts about further cooperation. The verdict of the court in this case may be announced in the near future. If the claims of these three clubs are confirmed, the imposition of preventive measures may result in the suspension of the entire agreement and the disbursement of funds. On the other hand,

According to El Espa?ol, the CVC is secured by early termination clauses in June 2024. Regardless of the court ruling, the fund can terminate the contract and ask the clubs to return the money with 6% interest. It is not necessary to explain what kind of problems the teams that joined the agreement (38 First and Second Division teams) would find themselves in if this turned out to be true. El Espa?ol contacted CVC about the matter, but CVC declined to comment on the reports.

El Espa?ol also reports that the clubs have invested almost nothing in infrastructure, which was supposed to be one of the conditions of the LaLiga Impulso plan. Five teams did not even present all the documentation required by the LFP. Non-compliance by part of the contract is another concern for the CVC. During one of the conferences, the fund also saw with its own eyes the uncertainty of the clubs due to the court case, and according to some teams, infrastructure spending is too high for their needs.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The legal challenge aside, I don't see why CVC would terminate the contract unless they project the La Liga TV pie will start shrinking so they will not get their money's worth. Either way those participating clubs have to repay all the money they received anyways, so I don't understand why CVC would want to terminate it. As to how clubs are spending the CVC money, I think CVC does have vested interests in clubs spending money to upgrade their infrastructure and facilities as they would help grow those clubs and hopefully grow the La Liga TV pie as a result, but at the end of the day CVC is just counting the money they are getting every year, plus future repayments they will receive so there is really nothing for CVC to lose, right?

DAZN is a different story. If the TV contract is not returning them the profit they want, they will terminate it. It has happened with other rights holders/carriers before.

All in all, this is bad for La Liga and us.

Porque

Thebes as comeback and denied (obv) these allegations and threatened to sue the source. The story is running the rounds today of Tebas response. I posted the above as the original article is paywalled.

The legal challenge aside, I don't see why CVC would terminate the contract unless they project the La Liga TV pie will start shrinking so they will not get their money's worth. Either way those participating clubs have to repay all the money they received anyways, so I don't understand why CVC would want to terminate it. As to how clubs are spending the CVC money, I think CVC does have vested interests in clubs spending money to upgrade their infrastructure and facilities as they would help grow those clubs and hopefully grow the La Liga TV pie as a result, but at the end of the day CVC is just counting the money they are getting every year, plus future repayments they will receive so there is really nothing for CVC to lose, right?

DAZN is a different story. If the TV contract is not returning them the profit they want, they will terminate it. It has happened with other rights holders/carriers before.

I'd imagine there are lots of clauses involved in the CVC deal. One must be related to corruption and the event of Barcelona, Madrid joining SuperLeague. With this Barca scandal brewing I imagine they would get itchy feet if Barca were relegated and devalued their investment.

You are right on Dazn. They have shown before that they will break/reduce contracts if they are not hitting the numbers (iirc the Canelo deal but it may be something else).

If that quote of a 2024 break clause, return money +6% interest then that is just scandalous.

Doesn't surprise me at all that they are not getting the subs expected through Spains LaLiga rights. The whole Dazn endeavour seems to be absolutely burning VC money. And I wouldn't also be surprised at them not seeing the return of LaLiga and may look at returning the property.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Thebes as comeback and denied (obv) these allegations and threatened to sue the source. The story is running the rounds today of Tebas response. I posted the above as the original article is paywalled.

I'd imagine there are lots of clauses involved in the CVC deal. One must be related to corruption and the event of Barcelona, Madrid joining SuperLeague. With this Barca scandal brewing I imagine they would get itchy feet if Barca were relegated and devalued their investment.

You are right on Dazn. They have shown before that they will break/reduce contracts if they are not hitting the numbers (iirc the Canelo deal but it may be something else).

If that quote of a 2024 break clause, return money +6% interest then that is just scandalous.

Doesn't surprise me at all that they are not getting the subs expected through Spains LaLiga rights. The whole Dazn endeavour seems to be absolutely burning VC money. And I wouldn't also be surprised at them not seeing the return of LaLiga and may look at returning the property.

I understand CVC might not like all the uncertainties currently brewing in La Liga, to your point, the legal challenge, the ESL and the potential that we might be relegated (small chance I think, and we should be able to get back to the Primera in a year unless it is a long-term ban), however other than the legal challenge which might indeed be a game-changer (I don't quite understand the argument of the legal case), other risks shouldn't impact the league long-term (I don't think the ESL will ever come into fruition). Since CVC is actively looking for this sort of deals (they are trying to pitch to Bundesliga for the same ideas and has just bought 20% of WTA for 150m USD), I don't really see them giving up on La Liga.

khaled_a_d

Opportunity cost. They might feel they can get better return of their money somewhere else.

Birdy

every event that pushes towards Tebas' failure and eventual resignation/ousting from LL is good for us

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
every event that pushes towards Tebas' failure and eventual resignation/ousting from LL is good for us

No way, as if all of La Liga's and our problems were caused by Tebas and him leaving will automatically solve everything. No, anything bad for the league is bad for us and vice versa, regardless of who is in charge.

ajnotkeith

Not surprising sponsors are pulling out.

Product worse than it's ever been and most games are terrible to watch. Play is constantly disrupted by diving/fouling/cards, teams for the most part are defensive and don't score much, there is hardly any notable players outside of Atletico/Barca/Madrid (even in other supposedly inferior leagues like Calcio, they have great and interesting players at top6/mid table teams), teams can't improve their squads and make interesting signings because of restrictive spending rules, etc...

It is a vicious cycle. As long as EPL continues to be this end to end pressing attacking style of play league it is going to draw infinitely more funding as it is entertaining to watch. Most of their clubs will be owned by rich billionaires/oil money soon so after that, any new prospective sugar daddy chairmen will be looking to buy teams in other countries - LaLiga could be one of the best positioned, with teams like Sociedad or Rayo really benefitting from such investment, but unfortunately the direction of the league probably means it will be left behind.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Hope it happens.

Don't give a fuck if one or two clubs go into administration because of it. That's what you get for backing an idiot like Tebas and signing such a stupid deal.

FinBarcelonafan

Hope it happens.

Don't give a fuck if one or two clubs go into administration because of it. That's what you get for backing an idiot like Tebas and signing such a stupid deal.

True.

If this is the only way to get rid of Tebas, so be it. He must go.

Home of Barca Fans