Jeremy Mathieu

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
Personal Life:

"Mathieu is married and enjoys smoking cigarettes while off the pitch." Thanks wikipedia seems like a swell guy.

drcoturd

I must admit I am not very happy of Mathieu's signing. Both him and Vermaelen were too old, over priced and - imho - weak for Barcelona and for a team who needed to buy a defender from 2011, at best. Benatia has been a way better deal for only 6million more than Mathieu and he's even 4 years younger. Same for Vermaelen who's also injured.

I think that Vermaelen-Benatia would have been a great pair, but the best would have been spending the whole sum to get Mats Hummels, imho the best/youngest defender in Europe. I also understand that there may be doubts about Piqué's condition that led to the choice of getting 2 defenders instead of one, but with almost 40millions we should have got something better. I hope Mathieu will metaforically slap me across the face with his great performances, though, it would make me very happy to be proven wrong :)

Egert

Estonian Culé
Barcelona centre back Jeremy Mathieu will start for FRA in their friendly against SER tonight. Kick-off in 40 minutes. #fcblive

I

instinct

He has injured his right ankle. Doubtful for the match against Athletic.

barcanuck

Yeah but Pique Bartra is two right sided CB's. Mathieu also bosses headers which would of come in handy. Damn FIFA virus and damn France for calling up a 30+ year old WTF.

serghei

It doesnt mean that partnership will change or work.

I dont think they looked a natural pairing last season and would be surprised if Lucho went with it on Saturday.

Lucho likes Mascherano very much as a CB it seems, so Bartra might be no4 after Pique, Mascherano and Mathieu (not sure where Vermaelen fits in the equation), but the idea is many things that went wrong in the past might work better in the present, due to the multiple changes in the team. I guess we'll wait and see if Pique-Bartra will work or not. They are similar, true, in the sense that Bartra doesn't seem to complement Pique very well, but both can have good performances.

Home of Barca Fans