Joan Laporta

serghei

Pascual had to go even earlier. The team underachieved in CL when you look at the players they had these last 2-3 years.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What the fuck are you talking about? This proyect is a loser one. 1CL in the last 6 years losing by trainer's decisions. Palmersson was earning more than 1M and winning nothing, in Spain we have no competition is like Bundesliga in football.

Winning the CL is not that easy, we have been very close.

So what exactly is his vision of these changes in the handball section, other than saving money?

Porque

Rosselistas are the vermin of the aqueducts of Barcelona. Coming to the surface and feeding the press when opportune strikes.

Imagine witch-hunting Laporta after the decisions of the handball section, while letting the football section burn sporting wise and corruption wise in broad daylight.

Laporta has enough backbone to get past these cockroaches. But if they do somehow manage to get him out in two years time for one of their vessels, then the club is already dead.

Prodi

Winning the CL is not that easy, we have been very close.

So what exactly is his vision of these changes in the handball section, other than saving money?

Its money and sports wise. We are 1,3billion in debt or more. We are no singing anybody (not free) in football or any other section. This club is in ruins for atleast five more years. Pascual was earning two salaries, one for coaching and other for sporting director. And Barrufet was doing the same job as sporting director. What the fuck was that?

We are firing those responsible for handball, hockey and futbol sala sections and give them to Xavier O'Callaghan.

It really seems that you have not realized in what situation the club is in. We have to fire people like Pique, Busquets, Alba, Roberto, Griezmann and the reasons are economic. This year we will have more than 300 million losses and these people are receiving, thanks to Bartomeu more than 20 million a year each. There will be cuts in all sections.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Its money and sports wise. We are 1,3billion in debt or more. We are no singing anybody (not free) in football or any other section. This club is in ruins for atleast five more years. Pascual was earning two salaries, one for coaching and other for sporting director. And Barrufet was doing the same job as sporting director. What the fuck was that?

We are firing those responsible for handball, hockey and futbol sala sections and give them to Xavier O'Callaghan.

It really seems that you have not realized in what situation the club is in. We have to fire people like Pique, Busquets, Alba, Roberto, Griezmann and the reasons are economic. This year we will have more than 300 million losses and these people are receiving, thanks to Bartomeu more than 20 million a year each. There will be cuts in all sections.

I am well aware of the financial situation the club is in, and I understand the needs for austerity. However, savings made in the other sections are peanuts compared to what we can potentially save from the men's football section, where we should be making the biggest cuts. No disagreement there. My question, why touching and crippling other sections that have been very successful, such as handball, hockey and futsal (to a lesser extent)? Why rock the boat? Money-wise the savings produced will not be much if we can get rid of some football players that are earning too much.

khaled_a_d

I am well aware of the financial situation the club is in, and I understand the needs for austerity. However, savings made in the other sections are peanuts compared to what we can potentially save from the men's football section, where we should be making the biggest cuts. No disagreement there. My question, why touching and crippling other sections that have been very successful, such as handball, hockey and futsal (to a lesser extent)? Why rock the boat? Money-wise the savings produced will not be much if we can get rid of some football players that are earning too much.

Each section should cover for itself.
If we are spending beyond their means, there is no reason to continue that. Peanuts or not

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Each section should cover for itself.
If we are spending beyond their means, there is no reason to continue that. Peanuts or not

That is a philosophical question then. We have always been a multi-sport club, actually the most successful multi-sport club in Europe overall based on the number of trophies. However in several sections we are not even breaking even, I believe. For example we have been losing money in the basketball section for years, but we still aspire to be one of the best in not just Spain but Europe.

If the club were to adopt your thinking then I guess we will probably get rid of all other non-football sections. Not sure if the club and the socis are willing to go that far. I wouldn't.

Prodi

Because other sections are not profitable, for example basketball causes losses of 40 million each year. The first priority is that the men's football team is successful since it is the one that gives benefits for all sections. Only the first team is profitable (not now of course because of covid), even the female team wininning the CL causes losses.
All resources should go for the first team, even if it's peanuts.

A few days ago Oriol Domenech said that squads like handball had tripled positions, oversized squads. The plan was to reduce the professional players in each section and supply the rest of the places with homegrown players. For example, in basketball we have 14 professional players when you can only have 12 for a game. The objective is to replace those two with homegrown players.

serghei

That is a philosophical question then. We have always been a multi-sport club, actually the most successful multi-sport club in Europe overall based on the number of trophies. However in several sections we are not even breaking even, I believe. For example we have been losing money in the basketball section for years, but we still aspire to be one of the best in not just Spain but Europe.

If the club were to adopt your thinking then I guess we will probably get rid of all other non-football sections. Not sure if the club and the socis are willing to go that far. I wouldn't.

True tbh. You can't be looking only at financial numbers. Barca are the biggest club in handball and handball is a top 3 team sport in most European countries like France, Germany, Balkans, Central Europe like Poland, Czerch Republic etc. Even Portugal and Brazil are strong in the sport.

But the club was badly run in handball. It's a bit like in football really. Team of stars but we kept losing in Europe in the big games in the last 4-5 years to teams under our level.

Everyone says Barca are the big favorites this year in the CL for the last 4-5 years :lol:. Yet each time they fuck it up. Sometimes after leading by 5-6 goals. Maybe Laporta has in mind a change of approach, to a model based less on superstars on each position and more on dedication, hard work, and a platform where you pay more for performance on the court/field, than just name and popularity of the sportsmen.

In some ways this road is forced on us by our financial situation.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Because other sections are not profitable, for example basketball causes losses of 40 million each year. The first priority is that the men's football team is successful since it is the one that gives benefits for all sections. Only the first team is profitable (not now of course because of covid), even the female team wininning the CL causes losses.
All resources should go for the first team, even if it's peanuts.

A few days ago Oriol Domenech said that squads like handball had tripled positions, oversized squads. The plan was to reduce the professional players in each section and supply the rest of the places with homegrown players. For example, in basketball we have 14 professional players when you can only have 12 for a game. The objective is to replace those two with homegrown players.

I am all for trimming the fat like players not needed and oversize squads and promoting homegrown players etc., no problems there whatsoever. However, I must ask, what is the vision of Laporta and the club for the other sections in this time of financial crisis? Are we going to pull money and resources and be willing to let those sections go to a free fall, until our football section makes money again? If our expectations are just basically assembling a team to compete in those sports and not worry or be concerned about the result, where we stand etc. domestically and in Europe, then yes, I suppose that is one vision.

I for one just don't think pulling money and resources from the other sections will really help the football section that much.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
True tbh. You can't be looking only at financial numbers. Barca are the biggest club in handball and handball is a top 3 team sport in most European countries like France, Germany, Balkans, Central Europe like Poland, Czerch Republic etc. Even Portugal and Brazil are strong in the sport.

But the club was badly run in handball. It's a bit like in football really. Team of stars but we kept losing in Europe in the big games in the last 4-5 years to teams under our level.

Everyone says Barca are the big favorites this year in the CL for the last 4-5 years :lol:. Yet each time they fuck it up. Sometimes after leading by 5-6 goals. Maybe Laporta has in mind a change of approach, to a model based less on superstars on each position and more on dedication, hard work, and a platform where you pay more for performance on the court/field, than just name and popularity of the sportsmen.

In some ways this road is forced on us by our financial situation.

Yeah, ideally those other sections like handball etc. should be run like a stand-alone club within Barca and be responsible for their own finances, I mean, how do the other handball, basketball clubs for example in Europe that are not affiliated with a football club survive and manage? They must be making money somehow. If each section is run like that, then we don't have to worry about the performance of the football section adversely impacting them.

Oh well.

serghei

Yeah, ideally those other sections like handball etc. should be run like a stand-alone club within Barca and be responsible for their own finances, I mean, how do the other handball, basketball clubs for example in Europe that are not affiliated with a football club survive and manage? They must be making money somehow. If each section is run like that, then we don't have to worry about the performance of the football section adversely impacting them.

Oh well.

Well... handball in other countries is bigger than in Spain at club level. So, if you do that at Barcelona, you kind of banish it from the elite. I think the club should still finance the handball club to aspire and be the best, but be more ruthless in terms of demanding results.

Prodi

I am all for trimming the fat like players not needed and oversize squads and promoting homegrown players etc., no problems there whatsoever. However, I must ask, what is the vision of Laporta and the club for the other sections in this time of financial crisis? Are we going to pull money and resources and be willing to let those sections go to a free fall, until our football section makes money again? If our expectations are just basically assembling a team to compete in those sports and not worry or be concerned about the result, where we stand etc. domestically and in Europe, then yes, I suppose that is one vision.

I for one just don't think pulling money and resources from the other sections will really help the football section that much.

Easy, he will do the same as in 2003. All sections will see their budget reduced and with that budget they will have to compete and go as far as they can. For the club to function and be financially healthy the first team must be competitive and all efforts will go there. Section fans have for years enjoyed oversized budgets and squads where they have win nothing.
Once the club recovers thanks to the first football team, these budgets will increase.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Easy, he will do the same as in 2003. All sections will see their budget reduced and with that budget they will have to compete and go as far as they can. For the club to function and be financially healthy the first team must be competitive and all efforts will go there. Section fans have for years enjoyed oversized budgets and squads where they have win nothing.

We have won a lot domestically, just not enough in Europe (we have won the futsal CL last year and roller hockey European championship in 2018).

Oh well, I guess we will just have to be prepared for a period of not being a favorite in Europe then. I hope domestically we can still be No.1, especially for women's football, handball and roller hockey.

Home of Barca Fans