Joan Laporta

BJJ

I think we're heading towards a mixed ownership model where a 49% stake is going to be sold to outside investors. The club have been asking socis about this last few months in various surveys too.

These visits of his to Saudi and Qatar are not to hunt for sponsorship deals that's for sure. It's to prepare for what the future likely holds.

I guess he'll drop the news in 2024 or 2025 and cite the high costs of redeveloping the stadium and how the club will cease to be an elite club if stake not sold.
I agree. Laporta is preparing the soil and planting the seeds for this. Realistically this may be the only way to keep the club competitive at the highest level. The Americans only look at the clubs from a business perspective while the Arabs look at the sporting side, business side and sportwashing aspect too. For the Arabs it's part of their wider strategy to attract investment and tourism too.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

The draconian and catastrophic member structure of this club will mean the gap between Barca and EPL clubs, who are financially doped up to their eyeballs, will only get wider and wider. It's as self constrictive as Bilbao's signing Basque only players. But the members will never want to relinquish their power and it's catch 22 for Laporta when essentially he needs to stay on their good side.

Pretty much every EPL club from Brighton to Burnley will have a higher net spend than Barca this season. Meanwhile, a few high profile free transfers of players in their 30s is the best Barca can hope for, and they couldn't even obtain the best of that bunch (Messi).

Madrid, are in a far different situation and none of it makes sense. They spend as much as the EPL clubs as if COVID never happened. Potentially, they could be lining up with a 300m midfield, and a 300m front 3 ( if they get Mbappe ) next season, all these players bought a year before COVID, at the earliest.

It's clear, this is going to be a long, long drawn out season. With the gap getting wider in Europe, and Madrid clearly playing by different rules and almost certainly being financially doped domestically, I hope fans are tempering their ambitions for next season.

BJJ

The draconian and catastrophic member structure of this club will mean the gap between Barca and EPL clubs, who are financially doped up to their eyeballs, will only get wider and wider. It's as self constrictive as Bilbao's signing Basque only players. But the members will never want to relinquish their power and it's catch 22 for Laporta when essentially he needs to stay on their good side.

Pretty much every EPL club from Brighton to Burnley will have a higher net spend than Barca this season. Meanwhile, a few high profile free transfers of players in their 30s is the best Barca can hope for, and they couldn't even obtain the best of that bunch (Messi).

Madrid, are in a far different situation and none of it makes sense. They spend as much as the EPL clubs as if COVID never happened. Potentially, they could be lining up with a 300m midfield, and a 300m front 3 ( if they get Mbappe ) next season, all these players bought a year before COVID, at the earliest.

It's clear, this is going to be a long, long drawn out season. With the gap getting wider in Europe, and Madrid clearly playing by different rules and almost certainly being financially doped domestically, I hope fans are tempering their ambitions for next season.
You've absolutely nailed it. Another problem is Xavi. Any normal club would have gone for a proper, experienced manager who makes the most of his resources and players. As usual we hire a Barca DNA, legend with no big time experience. It's hurting the club but U til it gets worse we will have to put up with Xavi.

NKMaribor

Post 19/20 net spending - meaning Covid and post Covid years, is -20M ( including Endrick transfer ). Prior to that since 09/10 epic window, net spent is roughly 200M.

What exactly does not make any sense?

As for co-ownership from the East. I would pay top dollar to see Qataris holding "Mes Que Club" slogan. Such a nice fit for Barca these days.

Last edited:

Porque

But don't you think our model would work in the EPL?

The whole issue right now is us paying wages at our financial limit on long contracts which was catastrophic when Covid hit. Transfer fee's are never really a problem if they (a) amortize with respectable wages and (b) the players retain re-sale value thanks to a combination of age, quality, non-suffurcative wage, potential and perfection. We failed immensely on (b) that unwanted players earned wages too good to leave, yet not good enough to stay.

The benefits of our model historically has been that we do not need to be run as a company and thus filter most revenue to the sports section, not needing to record profit margins. EPL would allow that to flourish thanks to huge revenue streams in global rights and a more lax FFP (look what Chelsea can do despite missing out on Europe. Imagine the fallout of that in Spain).

If we look at LaLiga outside of Barca/Madrid, there is no incentive nor benefit to pumping in millions of petro-dollars. Neither the political advantages.

The Qatari's found that out early with Malaga, Carlos Sim has put zero into Oviedo and probably bought them purely for the initial media pump off of the meme.

So I think while we suffer right now due to the sporting structures, LaLiga imposed austerity and FFP rather than our model. Of course if the financial hole we have digged is as deep as it looks then we may need external investment/ownership. But that won't be the end of the problems unless LaLiga makes a monumental change, or somehow a Super League manages to escape the geo-political redtape.

El Gato

Villarato!
I think we're heading towards a mixed ownership model where a 49% stake is going to be sold to outside investors. The club have been asking socis about this last few months in various surveys too.

These visits of his to Saudi and Qatar are not to hunt for sponsorship deals that's for sure. It's to prepare for what the future likely holds.

I guess he'll drop the news in 2024 or 2025 and cite the high costs of redeveloping the stadium and how the club will cease to be an elite club if stake not sold.
Chiringuito picked this up too

Andresito

Staff member
Qatari businessmen have offered Laporta to open a Barcelona franchise in the Qatari League, like the City Group model. If it happens, it could mean a big economic injection. @JoanPoquiEraso

L3v1s

Barça have managed to lower salary costs to €528m for the next season. When Laporta arrived, this amount was €708m. @QueThiJugues

Of the €528m, about €51m correspond to Lenglet, Dest, Umtiti, Collado and Maia. @QueThiJugues
Umtiti went from being Puyol's replacement to being remembered as one of the most hated players in recent times. Knowing how many leeches we've had in the last 5-6 years makes my blood boil honestly. This amigo state of mind in the club messed me up more than the bad results if I'm honest.

Porque

These numbers are for the whole institution?

According to Capology (I know their numbers have been disputed but here me out) our wage bill has been lower than Madrid's since the start of 21/22 season.

jamrock

These numbers are for the whole institution?

According to Capology (I know their numbers have been disputed but here me out) our wage bill has been lower than Madrid's since the start of 21/22 season.
Yea it is all teams, that's how they measure it for whatever reason.

Home of Barca Fans