Joan Laporta

JamDav1982

Anyone inheriting the financial situation had an extremely difficult task. I think the big issue with Laporta is it’s quite clear there was no sporting strategy as you said and it still appears that way with the profiles missing in the squad.
All it took was a big banner in Madrid and a reminder of the previous success and it was enough for him to get elected.

It’s not too late for him to turn the situation around, however you’re only as strong as the people around you and in tenure number two he hasn’t found that yet.

Just about anyone qualified that works with him has walked away this time.. a lot did last time also.

I think if he gets to 2026 he will chuck it before goes very sour.

Doesnt look healthy and stressed to the eye balls.

JamDav1982

I felt like there was no good option, other than Laporta. Everyone else were total losers.

Because folk like to make out Font etc had no plan when they favour Laporta.

Laporta presented zero plan whatsoever and campaigned on past emotions and Messi.

Reason being his 2015 campaign was a complete disaster and he just seemed out his depth when trying to propose his future plans.

FinBarcelonafan

Because folk like to make out Font etc had no plan when they favour Laporta.

Laporta presented zero plan whatsoever and campaigned on past emotions and Messi.

Reason being his 2015 campaign was a complete disaster and he just seemed out his depth when trying to propose his future plans.

I don't trust that Font guy one bit. Total wannabe important person.

JamDav1982

I don't trust that Font guy one bit. Total wannabe important person.

Based on what?

He at least proposed ideas and a structure.. Barca cant have next campaign someone elected who wings it like Laporta did.

That would be same narrative no matter who was up against Laporta and folk double down on it when Laporta worse than they expected.

Other clubs find them.

jamrock

Laporta constantly lies, but some people will blindly idolize him just because of his personality schtick which doesn’t work anymore.

Been three years in a row of lies and the situation seem just as messy.

But obviously next year will be different!
So basically he said, nothing you claim he did, so who's the real liar is the question? Or were you just misinformed and speaking from a place of more emotions than fact.

FinBarcelonafan

Based on what?

He at least proposed ideas and a structure.. Barca cant have next campaign someone elected who wings it like Laporta did.

That would be same narrative no matter who was up against Laporta and folk double down on it when Laporta worse than they expected.

Other clubs find them.

I don't know, seeing him talk, the interviews he makes.. the negativity. His aura is just bad.

Not a good vibe.

ajnotkeith

Anyone inheriting the financial situation had an extremely difficult task. I think the big issue with Laporta is it’s quite clear there was no sporting strategy as you said and it still appears that way with the profiles missing in the squad.
All it took was a big banner in Madrid and a reminder of the previous success and it was enough for him to get elected.

It’s not too late for him to turn the situation around, however you’re only as strong as the people around you and in tenure number two he hasn’t found that yet.
He never had a clear plan on the sporting side it seems like and wants to just wing it year by year, keep kicking can down the road with short-term strategies but no long term plan for how we will achieve parity with Madrid or become the top club in Spain again. I do sympathise with how difficult it was when he first came in and it would be difficult to convince the fans we needed time to rebuild and couldn't sign top players at that moment, particularly with how dire things looked after Messi left, but leaders have to make those sorts of tough decisions, and we'd have been better off without the likes of Lewa for example. We could have been trying to sign top young players now.

That said, exactly as you mentioned, it's not too late at all as nothing catastrophic has happened yet and we're still in a decent position to be able to turn things around if a clear and long-term plan is implemented. We have a good squad and a lot of talented young players, finances should resolve within the next couple years etc, and if he wants to save the club, this is the most pivotal time yet. The decisions we make in these few years as we return to being able to spend are going to be vital in any long-term success we have.

So far the recruitment and sporting strategy has seemed poorly coordinated and I don't feel Flick has been hired with a long term project in mind either.

JamDav1982

Two years after the levers pulled and still struggling to register players without selling both players and assets.

The amount of money they have wasted on FFP with their transfers and through failures in Europe is huge.

They missed their own projected budget this season.

About only good thing at moment is the players they inherited in first team and in La Masia.

ajnotkeith

Bernal will have to play a lot this season it seems

Then I see a lot Gavi-Pedri/gundo as a double pivot in Flick's system
After seeing Bernal in the friendlies he looks like he might be a good player many years down the line but for now it doesn't look like he's physically and mentally fast enough to play at the top level. A lot of slow movements and dithering on the ball.

He probably needs some years to adapt to his body and work physically, also to speed up his game, but certainly we can't compete for anything starting him I don't think. He's raw and obviously it isn't his fault as he's so young, we are accustomed to seeing such young players play as starters these days but still most of them will need time to grow.

JamDav1982

I don't know, seeing him talk, the interviews he makes.. the negativity. His aura is just bad.

Not a good vibe.

Well thats about it... while folk lapped up Laporta with no plan and making statements about how scared Real are of him and he being the one to keep Messi etc.

Real mocked him... Some Barca fans lapped it up and he got elected.

Two years later Real probably want to put that banner up again.

JamDav1982

After seeing Bernal in the friendlies he looks like he might be a good player many years down the line but for now it doesn't look like he's physically and mentally fast enough to play at the top level. A lot of slow movements and dithering on the ball.

He probably needs some years to adapt to his body and work physically, also to speed up his game, but certainly we can't compete for anything starting him I don't think. He's raw and obviously it isn't his fault as he's so young, we are accustomed to seeing such young players play as starters these days but still most of them will need time to grow.

There is zero chance FDJ is not starting in double pivot when fit.

Pedri/Gavi double would be absolutely awful.

JamDav1982

Pedri and Gavi have rarely looked great together for Spain or Barca so far.

It would get destroyed if played them both deeper.

Gavi would be all over the shop and Pedri is not exactly someone who can balance it.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

If Olmo is the only signing and they have to go through a struggle to register even him then only a successful season can save Laporta.

He won’t survive until 2026 otherwise IMO.

Fair or not, this is what he signed up for and his constant lies and big statements doesn’t help either.

But guys like Font and other clowns won’t do much either.

Home of Barca Fans