Joan Laporta

serghei

Still, Nike better make sure we are happy. How long does that contract run until? Since 2027 the new stadium comes up... not good to lose a client like Barca on the way up with new 105k seats stadium coming up.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Still, Nike better make sure we are happy. How long does that contract run until? Since 2027 the new stadium comes up... not good to lose a client like Barca on the way up with new 105k seats stadium coming up.

Until 2028 and it's unclear whether there's an exit clause in 2026.

Why would Nike make sure we're happy? They've dialed back significantly on sponsoring football teams and instead started focusing on other sports and athletes in general instead. We lost all the leverage we had when Laporta started badmouthing them publicly and tried to negotiate with Puma which led to a legal challenge from them which they won. You cannot bully a company that's bigger than you and one that doesn't need you.

I doubt it happens, but if Nike really wanted to they could tell the club to go and kick rocks until our contract ends or we're able to break away from it.

Windhook

True, Nike invest more in individual athletes, including footballers. They are no.1 in player sponsorship, attire, in football terms - boots.

serghei

We don't have any leverage if they don't want to sponsor football teams anymore. Issue is closed if that is their position. If they do though, they can't afford to lose us. We've been with Nike for a long long time, while Madrid been with Adidas.

Under no circumstances should we extend with Nike on a less than comparable deal with what Madrid has with Adidas. Normally we should have a deal that is only slightly under theirs.

JamDav1982

If course they can afford to lose Barca.

They will weigh it up and only pay what see as value.. and fact Barca are in weak position to negotiate as shouting from roof tops about how need them to get to 1:1 helps them.

serghei

They can't afford to lose Barca IF they care about sponsoring the biggest football teams. Doubt they go and sign with Madrid considering they are likely very pleased with Adidas.

It's all about what they want to do and invest in. If they value investing in football club sponsorships, Barca is their biggest most relevant client.

DonAK

We'll see.

Hopefully Laporta doesn't do a Bartomeu and sign an extension for much lower than what Real Madrid are getting right now just to solve some FFP issues in the short-term, but that will be painful in the future. Far from a certainty he will he run again in 2026 with his health issues and the pressure he's already under locally. This deal will probably go a long in way in showing his intention in that regard.

JamDav1982

They can't afford to lose Barca IF they care about sponsoring the biggest football teams. Doubt they go and sign with Madrid considering they are likely very pleased with Adidas.

It's all about what they want to do and invest in. If they value investing in football club sponsorships, Barca is their biggest most relevant client.

They can afford it.. hence why will have a price they see as value.

Barca being their biggest client is not really all that relevant as they wont just pay what Barca demands and it would be factored in.

Porque

The problem with this club is that Laporta is going to want to sign a kit deal before his mandate is over.

Bear for Barcelona is to activate the 2-year termination clause and put the leverage back in our hands.

Closer we get to expiring, fully into Camp Nou, the more competitive we will be for Puma to bid and Nike to retain.

JamDav1982

We'll see.

Hopefully Laporta doesn't do a Bartomeu and sign an extension for much lower than what Real Madrid are getting right now just to solve some FFP issues in the short-term, but that will be painful in the future. Far from a certainty he will he run again in 2026 with his health issues and the pressure he's already under locally. This deal will probably go a long in way in showing his intention in that regard.

Barca never signed a lower deal than Real due to short term FFP.

The same thing happened was true at the time with Barca getting a lot less than likes of Real due to long term deal.

The socios most likely have to approve any deal anyway to anything that is seen as too short term they can reject in theory.. but it would be put to them in same way levers was.

DonAK

Barca never signed a lower deal than Real due to short term FFP.

The same thing happened was true at the time with Barca getting a lot less than likes of Real due to long term deal.

Eh, didn't mean that. Guess my post might sound like that.
I meant that I hope Laporta doesn't do a Bartomeu by signing a deal that gives us short-term relief that costs us in the future. Wasn't comparing sponsorship agreements signed back then.

JamDav1982

Eh, didn't mean that. Guess my post might sound like that.
I meant that I hope Laporta doesn't do a Bartomeu by signing a deal that gives us short-term relief that costs us in the future. Wasn't comparing sponsorship agreements signed back then.

When did Barca do that?

Barca were at that point also on a deal making a lot less than likes of Real due to long term deal signed under Laporta.

Home of Barca Fans