João Cancelo

xXKonan

If we get Cancelo I can't imagine any other Valencia players we would be interested in that is with the first team.

Gaya? we have Digne so that wouldn't be possible. Alves? We bought Cillessen so that's out of the question unless Jasper wants to leave after this season. Munir still technically ours and I haven't read anything that said Valencia were wanting to buy him at the end of his loan yet..

Unless Mendes loads the team up with more of his players that might interest Robert. I think Cancelo will likely be the last Valencia player we buy for awhile.

Messi983

So he's the same as Vidal, just great!

He's 5 years younger and has played RB for most of his career not just around 6 months before he joined us like Vidal did. So I see this as an advantage for Cancelo but if I'd have to choose between him and Vidal I'd select Aleix because he's already here and I like him better than Cancelo.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Cancelo is not slow. He's faster than Sergi Roberto for example. For sure.

Attacking-wise he is a World Class talent, but defensively? lol

Even in the very, very few games he's doing very well defensively, he suddenly has a moment where he zones out completely out of the blue

xXKonan

Cancelo is not slow. He's faster than Sergi Roberto for example. For sure.

Attacking-wise he is a World Class talent, but defensively? lol

Even in the very, very few games he's doing very well defensively, he suddenly has a moment where he zones out completely out of the blue
I think that's why we are going for him. it's because of his attacking talent.

They are wanting a RB who's attacking talent is good enough to outweigh the defensive issues Cancelo may have. Alves gets a lot of stick by some people but they forget he was actually a complete RB but due his advancing age their were times he couldn't get back in time to defend when he was caught up field due to the lack of pace.

gasgas

this is the guy that they expect to defend against Marcelo in classicos :lol:
or Carrasco vs Atleti
or Douglas Costa vs Bayern
or Lucas Moura vs PSG

They are forgetting that a RB is to defend, especially in big games

We are not the old Barca where we would have 98% possession and the opponent creates 2 chances a game

This Barca doesn't even control a midfield, gets attacked a lot and you wanna put a defensive mess there

Poor thinking

as Bojan said, we need another transfer ban

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
this is the guy that they expect to defend against Marcelo in classicos :lol:
or Carrasco vs Atleti
or Douglas Costa vs Bayern
or Lucas Moura vs PSG

They are forgetting that a RB is to defend, especially in big games

We are not the old Barca where we would have 98% possession and the opponent creates 2 chances a game

This Barca doesn't even control a midfield, gets attacked a lot and you wanna put a defensive mess there

Poor thinking

as Bojan said, we need another transfer ban

Well said. :goodpost:

A goalkeeper's No.1 job is to make saves and block shots, not showcasing his wonderful ball distribution skills; a RB's No.1 job is to defend. FC Barcelona is not that different from everyone else.

Also, we seem to place too much emphasis on superficial stuff like "knowing our game", "suiting our style" and "La Liga experience" which in my opinion are not that important at all. Our game changes over time and La Liga experience means little in my opinion (just look at Umtiti for example). You learn and adapt.

Last edited:

gasgas

Well said. :goodpost:

A goalkeeper's No.1 job is to make saves and block shots, not showcasing his wonderful ball distribution skills; a RB's No.1 job is to defend. FC Barcelona is not that different from everyone else.

Also, we seem to place too much emphasis on superficial stuff like "knowing our game", "suiting our style" and "La Liga experience" which in my opinion are not that important at all. Our game changes over time and La Liga experience means little in my opinion (just look at Umtiti for example). You learn and adapt.
for all 'suiting our style' Cesc had, he was a failure here

Umtiti and Digne from Ligue 1 are playing miles better than Gomes, Denis, Paco, Vidal who supposedly have "La liga experience"

there's also the "Barca DNA" :lol: that players like Cesc have, which I don't wanna talk about for now :rofl1:

serghei

Marcelo is also a big joke in defence. One of the worst defenders in the game from all top teams. That doesn't mean he ain't probably one of the best if not the best LB in the world, attacking LB that is.

Alba is pretty well rounded. We can work with Cancelo if he is very very good in attack, but only if he is extremely good, that is Marcelo level good or close to that. When we are talking about great in attack, there is not only speed and dribbling, there is also passing ability, link-up ability. If Cancelo can't pass the ball forward in short spaces, and enter into combinations in short spaces, than his offensive potential will become very limited, in a team like Barcelona, regardless of his speed.

Last edited:

xXKonan

We don't need another transfer ban. :rolleyes:

What we need to be is smarter in the transfer market and also give our youth a chance before thinking of spending a lot of money. However I consider getting Umtiti and Marlon (when we make his move permanent) some of the best pieces of business we done this summer (25 for Umtiti and 4-5 for Marlon).

gasgas

Marcelo is also a big joke in defence. One of the worst defenders in the game from all top teams. That doesn't mean he ain't probably one of the best if not the best LB in the world, attacking LB that is.

Alba is pretty well rounded. We can work with Cancelo if he is very very good in attack, but only if he is extremely good, that is Marcelo level good or close to that. When we are talking about great in attack, there is not only speed and dribbling, there is also passing ability, link-up ability. If Cancelo can't pass the ball forward in short spaces, and enter into combinations in short spaces, than his offensive potential will become very limited, in a team like Barcelona, regardless of his speed.
Marcelo is quite good defensively. His only problem is that he focuses too much on attack and ignores his defensive duties but when he is called to defend, he is quite reliable

xXKonan

Cancelo has age on his side when it comes to improving as a player, but 30 million though....

as I said before I don't think it's anything fishy it's just Robert really seems to love this guy a lot and with his good relations with Mendes and Valencia it's perhaps the easiest transfer he will have to make. (assuming the rumors are true).

Home of Barca Fans