Juan Camilo Zuniga

L

linetty

People on facebook :lol:

By the way, the comment section under FC Barcelona's official account posts is always gold!! :lol: Complete mess.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Deliberately kneeing someone in the spine is far worse than biting someone. It wasn't a foul, it was a deliberate attempt to injure a player. I stand by what I said: he should be banned for at least 8 months. At the very least, players who do shit like this should be banned until the player they injured returns. FIFA needs to be way more harsh when it comes to punishing shit like this.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he didn't go "oh look, there's Neymar. I'm losing and angry therefore I'm gonna go kick him in the spine". But sure, invent your own narrative why not?

He lunged at Neymar in an overly aggressive and tempered way with his knee raised, a dirty and cynical foul and an unacceptable use of physicality. He didn't, however, straight up drive his knee into Neymar's spine with the same deliberate violent intent as Song did to Mandzukic with his elbow.

Besides, Zuniga's challenge wasn't a naturally bone-breaking one. Every foul should be judged on two separate merits, action and reaction. Zuniga himself lunging at Neymar like that was a dirty foul worthy of a red, however it was not even 1/2 to the amount of force dealt by many of Mascherano's tackles, De Jong's ninja-kick, or even Ramos on Messi. It was the reaction part that entire sequence that was unfortunate and led to Neymar's injury: his spine was curved forward right in the moment of contact which caused the impact to be focused entirely on one spot. If it wasn't in that position and he was leaning up for a header or something, then it wouldn't have been much more than a bruise. That's why Zuniga's challenge, while a completely dirty foul, is not an attempt to straight up cause a spinal fracture. In 2/3 other spinal positions, he would've been alright. Unfortunately, he took the hit in the most damaging way possible. I'm half expecting someone to reply to this with "SO you think it's Neymar's fault?!?!!" :lol:.

Now here's a hypothetical counter case: I've seen Mascherano go in for some REALLY vicious and brutal tackles (two footed, high speed, and very deliberate). Yet in match-chats it's always just responded to as "oh jeez, Masch could've gotten booked there". The fact that his tackles haven't injured anyone is purely a matter of circumstance as it's pretty obvious he's capable of doing so and goes in with the force required. Yet say hypothetically earlier this season, one of his brutal, late challenges happened to be on a guy who's ankle was in a bad position to take the hit. That guy suffers a fracture of some sort. And this is before the Suarez-Chiellini incident that suddenly led to ___ month bans being hip and handed out for anything. I'm pretty much 100% sure that none of you would be saying "Let's ban one of our only 3 CB's for 6-8 months because he clearly went in to break a guy's ankle with a horrible challenge". And that's where the hypocrisy lies.

The fact that these ridiculous 8 month suspensions are even being discussed is only due to Neymar's injury. Had the circumstances been different and Neymar been in a position where he could absorb the hit without getting badly hurt, I doubt the thread would even be looked at post-match. Zuniga's stupidly aggressive challenge should be penalized for what it is, a stupidly aggressive challenge. He didn't go in there fully premeditated on injuring Neymar's spine because that itself was more due to the curvature of the spine than the force of the challenge (which wasn't even particularly powerful).

Yeah I'm pretty sure he didn't go "oh look, there's Neymar. I'm losing and angry therefore I'm gonna go kick him in the spine". But sure, invent your own narrative why not?

He lunged at Neymar in an overly aggressive and tempered way with his knee raised, a dirty and cynical foul and an unacceptable use of physicality. He didn't, however, straight up drive his knee into Neymar's spine with the same deliberate violent intent as Song did to Mandzukic with his elbow.

Besides, Zuniga's challenge wasn't a naturally bone-breaking one. Every foul should be judged on two separate merits, action and reaction. Zuniga himself lunging at Neymar like that was a dirty foul worthy of a red, however it was not even 1/2 to the amount of force dealt by many of Mascherano's tackles, De Jong's ninja-kick, or even Ramos on Messi. It was the reaction part that entire sequence that was unfortunate and led to Neymar's injury: his spine was curved forward right in the moment of contact which caused the impact to be focused entirely on one spot. If it wasn't in that position and he was leaning up for a header or something, then it wouldn't have been much more than a bruise. That's why Zuniga's challenge, while a completely dirty foul, is not an attempt to straight up cause a spinal fracture. In 2/3 other spinal positions, he would've been alright. Unfortunately, he took the hit in the most damaging way possible. I'm half expecting someone to reply to this with "SO you think it's Neymar's fault?!?!!" :lol:.

Now here's a hypothetical counter case: I've seen Mascherano go in for some REALLY vicious and brutal tackles (two footed, high speed, and very deliberate). Yet in match-chats it's always just responded to as "oh jeez, Masch could've gotten booked there". The fact that his tackles haven't injured anyone is purely a matter of circumstance as it's pretty obvious he's capable of doing so and goes in with the force required. Yet say hypothetically earlier this season, one of his brutal, late challenges happened to be on a guy who's ankle was in a bad position to take the hit. That guy suffers a fracture of some sort. And this is before the Suarez-Chiellini incident that suddenly led to ___ month bans being hip and handed out for anything. I'm pretty much 100% sure that none of you would be saying "Let's ban one of our only 3 CB's for 6-8 months because he clearly went in to break a guy's ankle with a horrible challenge". And that's where the hypocrisy lies.

The fact that these ridiculous 8 month suspensions are even being discussed is only due to Neymar's injury. Had the circumstances been different and Neymar been in a position where he could absorb the hit without getting badly hurt, I doubt the thread would even be looked at post-match. Zuniga's stupidly aggressive challenge should be penalized for what it is, a stupidly aggressive challenge. He didn't go in there fully premeditated on injuring Neymar's spine because that itself was more due to the curvature of the spine than the force of the challenge (which wasn't even particularly powerful).

Dirty and cynical foul? Lol, he was nowhere near the ball. He was clearly trying to hurt Neymar, and not even trying to get the ball. I see no difference between what he did and Song on Mandzukic except that he disguised the intent a bit better.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Dirty and cynical foul? Lol, he was nowhere near the ball. He was clearly trying to hurt Neymar, and not even trying to get the ball.

Way to read 2 lines out of the whole post, not gonna bother explaining to someone who only sees things as black and white.

L

linetty

Dirty and cynical foul? Lol, he was nowhere near the ball. He was clearly trying to hurt Neymar, and not even trying to get the ball. I see no difference between what he did and Song on Mandzukic except that he disguised the intent a bit better.
bplzlk.gif

Clear intention to hurt Neyboy.

Lomar1o

intentional or not this player should be punished for what he did. now i don't know the law but i believe if one breaks it then there will be punishment. are you telling me that if i unintentionally injure, kill or commit some other sort of a crime i'll get away with it because it wasn't my intention? zuniga should at least be fined. but taking into account his tackle on hulk he should be banned too. can't believe people are protecting him. it doesn't matter whether he meant it or not, he did something very bad and should take the responsibility

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
And I'm not gonna bother arguing with someone who thinks what he did wasn't an intentional attempt to hurt Neymar.

Name one place where I said it was unintentional or an accident. I said the injury itself was a matter of circumstance (not that I expect you to understand the difference between the two). But yeah, let's hand out season long bans for the kind of rough play that happens every other match.

Name one place where I said it was unintentional or an accident. I said the injury itself was a matter of circumstance (not that I expect you to understand the difference between the two). But yeah, let's hand out season long bans for the kind of rough play that happens every other match.

So players knee other players in the spine every other match? Oh god my sides :rofl1:

It's certainly not the "reckless challenge" and "rough play" you're making it out to be. As far as I'm concerned, it wasn't even a "challenge" because that would imply that he was at least making some attempt to get the ball, which he wasn't. It was a deliberate (and very dangerous) attempt to injure a player, plain and simple. As far as I'm concerned, it was not a foul, it was assault.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans