Let's talk about Xavi's replacement (2024)

Xavi replacement v3

• Total voters

malvolio

Who do you want?
I've expressed my opinion some pages back.

Alonso or Arteta as top candidates that we can't get.
Young managers that have already showed some promise - Amorim and wouldn't say no to Nagelsmann(the only Jerman that I would consider)
A wild card like Motta or Will Still

soul24rage

If someone we are somehow able to get Klopp in summer 2025, I wouldn't mind having an interim coach for 1 year (if that is even possible)

If not, then I would get either Tuchel or Flick on a 1-2 year deal and get Motta afterwards

Joan

I've expressed my opinion some pages back.

Alonso or Arteta as top candidates that we can't get.
Young managers that have already showed some promise - Amorim and wouldn't say no to Nagelsmann(the only Jerman that I would consider)
A wild card like Motta or Will Still
I would prefer Nagelsmann over Flick, too. But don't know if he's realistic since he's tied with the German NT. Might also consider staying if they meet their targets for the Euro.

Bayern, like Barca, suffers from the big club mentality, the pressure is insane, there's plenty of inner club politics involved. That's something that cannot be helped. Only certain type of managers can survive. It's no surprise to me that neither Nagelsmann nor Tuchel succeeded there fully. Flick has a specific background but his stint remains too short to draw conclusions.

That said, don't think any of the coaches mentioned afterwards bring enough to the table to make a calculated bet on them. Plenty to go before being considered for such roles.

malvolio

I would prefer Nagelsmann over Flick, too. But don't know if he's realistic since he's tied with the German NT. Might also consider staying if they meet their targets for the Euro.

Bayern, like Barca, suffers from the big club mentality, the pressure is insane, there's plenty of inner club politics involved. That's something that cannot be helped. Only certain type of managers can survive. It's no surprise to me that neither Nagelsmann nor Tuchel succeeded there fully. Flick has a specific background but his stint remains too short to draw conclusions.

That said, don't think any of the coaches mentioned afterwards bring enough to the table to make a calculated bet on them. Plenty to go before being considered for such roles.
There is no calculated bet on the market. There are only three certified winners with big clubs - Pep, Klopp and Ancelotti(although I wouldn't task him with a rebuild at Barca).

So it's not like there are proven options that will work for sure. We either take a shot with someone up and coming, that has some achievements. Or a total joker like Motta, Still, Cesc etc.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Nagelsmann has been somewhat vindicated after how Tuchel has done at Bayern.

I feel like if we're going to go for a German manager and it's not going to be Jurgen Klopp, it gotta be Nagelsmann. Despite his age he has a lot of experience and seem to be someone willing to adapt his style and try out new things which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't tbh. Will probably help with the development of our younger players as well considering he was used to it at Hoffenheim and Leipzig.

Also has experience at an elite club in Bayern and surely will or you'd think he'd learn from whatever mistakes there.

Daisymorr

We need someone who can:

1. Work with & improve up and coming players (we cant afford to buy ready made stars)
  2. Motivate the team & make them believe in themselves.
  3. Handle the crazy media that comes with Barca.
Klopp ticks all of these. He made Liverpool believe in themselves and it won them everything, as well as being very unlucky not to win 2 more League.
Okay, yes Klopp is most likely out of the question but we need to find the next Klopp. Whoever that might be - I dont know myself.
We need a very special character to come in and make the Team believe we can topple Madrid.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

If they are hell bent on an 'experienced' manager then we better get set for mediocrity, because there are no great experiences managers available.

The play is obvious, we have to roll the dice with a high risk manager who has the POTENTIAL to be the next Klopp . There are plenty of managers around with high potential. Big Ange, Slot, Amorim, Motta etc.

The scouting of the manager seems to be on the same basis as the scouting of players when the lever money was available. All high potential, young candidates were rejected in favour of experienced, safe mediocrity.

Let's face it, it looks like our new manager is going to be the managerial equivalent of Raphinha and Ferran.
:banghead:

Joan

Glad Xavi fulfilled all of the criteria above. Especially ones regarding experience.

What a bunch of jokers if there’s any truth to it.

Last edited:

Daisymorr

Do you think the manager needs to speak Spanish?

Might seem like its not important but it could be a criteria that the board have. Its been a long time since we had a non-Spanish speaker. Might rule out German or English candidates who dont speak the language of the league.
1708114990624.png

Joan

There is no calculated bet on the market. There are only three certified winners with big clubs - Pep, Klopp and Ancelotti(although I wouldn't task him with a rebuild at Barca).

So it's not like there are proven options that will work for sure. We either take a shot with someone up and coming, that has some achievements. Or a total joker like Motta, Still, Cesc etc.
There might be no safe bets as I think there are only two managers on the market (Pep and Klopp) who I have hard time seeing fail. Ancelotti is a different, although very successful story on his own. Not so sure he’d manage to win in our current predicament.

But on the other hand, if there were no calculated bets to be made, we could just roll a dice. Out of all the options available, Nagelsmann makes the most sense to me. Although young, he’s got a solid background and versatile experiences. Think the rest of the jokers (in bold) are just too much risk with too little to show for.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If they are hell bent on an 'experienced' manager then we better get set for mediocrity, because there are no great experiences managers available.

The play is obvious, we have to roll the dice with a high risk manager who has the POTENTIAL to be the next Klopp . There are plenty of managers around with high potential. Big Ange, Slot, Amorim, Motta etc.

The scouting of the manager seems to be on the same basis as the scouting of players when the lever money was available. All high potential, young candidates were rejected in favour of experienced, safe mediocrity.

Let's face it, it looks like our new manager is going to be the managerial equivalent of Raphinha and Ferran.
:banghead:

Deco already ruled Amorim out due to his inexperience in an interview. Doubt they'll consider Slot, Motta.

Don't think Ange is realistic. Even if he wants to come which is no guarantee, you'll have a headache to deal with in Levy who will probably demand 50m to let him go.

Home of Barca Fans