Let's talk about Xavi's replacement (2024)

Xavi replacement v3

• Total voters

Givenchy

I would really like to see Flick given the interim role NOW with a view to perma role in the summer depending how he does. Probably not realistic as he'll want reassurances but he's unemployed.. if/when Xavi fucks up the first leg vs Napoli, goodwill needs to be thrown out the window, get rid and sell Kounde in the summer to pay his settlement if you must.

Laporta sitting on his arse twiddling his thumbs isn't going to cut it.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Our players can speak English, and if they cannot then what the fuck do they teach kids in school in Spain?

Hiring a manager on the condition he can speak Spanish fluently is stupid in 2024.

Daisymorr

Our players can speak English, and if they cannot then what the fuck do they teach kids in school in Spain?

Hiring a manager on the condition he can speak Spanish fluently is stupid in 2024.
I agree with you but I am stating a fact on the last number of managers we have had - all speak spanish.
So, would Barca consider a manager who doesn't? Nagelsmann/Tuchel/Flick might all be out of the running if they done speak Spanish or catalan. Handling the media is not easy, even for the ones who did speak Spanish.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I agree with you but I am stating a fact on the last number of managers we have had - all speak spanish.
So, would Barca consider a manager who doesn't? Nagelsmann/Tuchel/Flick might all be out of the running if they done speak Spanish or catalan. Handling the media is not easy, even for the ones who did speak Spanish.

To be honest most of those hirings were made by a different board who were quite clueless. This one might not be that much better football-wise, but Laporta reportedly wanted Nagelsmann when he was running for the election, and hired Rijkaard who spoke some Spanish, but was hardly fluent during his previous term.

I think he's open to different type of managers.

Handling the media might ironically be easier for someone that isn't as fluent in Spanish and won't have to hear and read all the garbage in the press.

malvolio

It's not as if this is any different at Madrid. What non-spanish speakers have they hired?

Daisymorr

It's not as if this is any different at Madrid. What non-spanish speakers have they hired?
This is my point - are both of these clubs only interested in hiring managers who speak spanish.
This narrows down the search - ruling out non spanish speaking coaches.
I am merely asking the hypothetical question..

delancey

To be honest most of those hirings were made by a different board who were quite clueless. This one might not be that much better football-wise, but Laporta reportedly wanted Nagelsmann when he was running for the election, and hired Rijkaard who spoke some Spanish, but was hardly fluent during his previous term.

I think he's open to different type of managers.

Handling the media might ironically be easier for someone that isn't as fluent in Spanish and won't have to hear and read all the garbage in the press.
It’s also a matter of respect. We’ve seen how differently the Catalan press has treated Xavi compared to Koeman, for example. One was a Catalan club legend; the other was a mere legend. Having that Catalan DNA will garner way more respect amongst the Catalonian press. If it hadn’t, Xavi would have been long gone by now.

In fact, it’s quite delusional of Xavi to complain about the press and how they’ve treated him, when Xavi has been treated very well (relatively speaking).

malvolio

This is my point - are both of these clubs only interested in hiring managers who speak spanish.
This narrows down the search - ruling out non spanish speaking coaches.
I am merely asking the hypothetical question..
This happens in all of La Liga. It's also a culture thing. Spaniards, South Americans, Latins in general are more laid back and have a different approach to life.
And is not as if clubs in Spain buy lots of Spanish non speakers. Why have a coach speak English when the bulk of the squad speaks Spanish?
If you think about it even PSG's squad had lots of Spanish speakers and that was the main language in the locker room.

ceco322

Obviously the best managers at the moment in this situation and the criteria that are set as managing a big team with young players, no budget, with huge pressure and being a free agent since June or having a very small release clause as well to understand the language are: Conte, De Zerbi, Tuchel, Flick, Pimienta, Alguacil, Fonseca, Conceição.
For the future, we will see how good they will be: Arteta, Mascherano, Motta, Bronkhorst, Fabregas, Alonso, Marquez.
Scalloni and Klopp are of course also good options for the future.

khaled_a_d

Iirc Gundogan said earlier this season that he doesn't advise Pedri & Gavi that much because they don't speak English while he doesn't speak Spanish. Xavi's English isn't that good either and that is while he had to spend 6 years in Qatar and dealing with people in English exclusively, Iniesta learned some English late, Messi was there since he was 13 and only started learning it in 2019 and the list goes on. Heck, few years ago Pique criticised the Spanish prime minister because he didn't speak English.

And tbh, in most top leagues there is clear preference for someone who speaks the language, if not then someone who is in the process of learning. Bayern did that (Pep answered some questions in German since his first day at Bayern) Italian clubs too, most Spanish clubs etc.

Ancelotti, Capello (first stint for both), Queiroz & Luxemburgo. Although much easier for Portuguese and Italian native speakers to learn Spanish. But overall Real are actually one of the clubs that is more open to it.

malvolio

Ancelotti, Capello (first stint for both), Queiroz & Luxemburgo. Although much easier for Portuguese and Italian native speakers to learn Spanish. But overall Real are actually one of the clubs that is more open to it.
Yes they've had more flexibility when it came to appointments. But all those mentioned learned the language quickly, if they didn't have a grasp of it already. Plus evidently the cultural differences weren't as big for them.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I would really like to see Flick given the interim role NOW with a view to perma role in the summer depending how he does. Probably not realistic as he'll want reassurances but he's unemployed.. if/when Xavi fucks up the first leg vs Napoli, goodwill needs to be thrown out the window, get rid and sell Kounde in the summer to pay his settlement if you must.

Laporta sitting on his arse twiddling his thumbs isn't going to cut it.

Laporta had already said he wont fire Xavi, he doesnt want to 'destroy' his relationsship with Xavi

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Compared to any Catalan or Spanish coaches at Barca, Xavi might be the best English speaker. His command of the language even currently is better than that of Pep

Nevertheless, this is a Catalan club in a Spanish league - if you lack either of those languages then relying on English is as foolish as hiring Neville to coach Los Che when he couldn’t utter a word of Spanish

Flick, hopefully will adapt quickly but language will be a problem in and outside of the locker room or pitch. Surely, he will find solutions should he be the selected coach

In any event, the biggest problem on the pitch is poor preparation and that is far more likely down to tactics & training then it is language

Porque

If you look at Serie B then you will see that Cesc is doing great. He's their first team coach, but officially listed as assistant manager since he doesn't have his UEFA pro license yet.

Anyways, with Flick wanting a number 2 who can also speak Spanish, I wonder if we could try and get Cesc as his assistant, like Arteta being Guardiola assistant previously.

Just an idea.

Temptation

Just use a translator for media duties.

Most of the squad speaks English.

Bobby Robson had Jose Mourinho as his translator at Barca and did alright.

Home of Barca Fans