Lionel Messi - v7

Daniele

Don't play this game.
You never had a balanced judgment. You invented excuses all the time, never to admit he was not playing well..
You were trying to argue with silly rationale that it's not him burdening the team, but the others around him that are not making him look like a burden. lol.
That's why I called you flat-earthers.
I hope now you saw the light (that it's not the others, and he can play fine alongside the rest of the team), you now know the earth is round, and after today you will not repeat again that BS excuse...

And if you are referring to me personally, I never took a lot of time to speculate as to whether he is finished, whether it's his unhappiness, whether it's the crowd, or what the possible reason might be.
I just always stick to the fact that he was not playing well in every respect.

I think you are confusing me with another user.
I have never supported any of the arguments you are mentioning (you can see the story of my messages).
Instead, I USED The story of the flat earthers to point out the preconceptions of some haters of this forum.

My judgment - like the one of other users here, many of them unfairly called by u "messi fanboy" in a desprectful acception - have always been balanced.
Messi is definitely not what it was 10 years ago; but it is not true that he has had a series of indecent performances as you say.
I have always argued that apart from the normal physical decline, there have been many conditions that have contributed to lowering his performance (mental issues, lack of
automatisms- lack of a style of play/tactical confusion- in the team that involves EVERY SINGLE player not just him).

serghei

Not necessarily. One theory out of a handful of possible ones. Some were saying and hoping it was due to unhappiness, also lack of crowd during games.

He has from 1 to 2 more seasons besides this one of top football left in him if he is motivated and works hard. Meaning still one of the best players in the game. At 36-37, it's already a pipedream to still play around Messi.

This is pretty much a certainty. In short term, he can still contribute fine based on his recent performances.

Breaking up Messi and Suarez was a good move from the club for both.

soul24rage

With the WC 22 coming up, I'm sure he'll be motivated as ever till then.

Probably in the summer of 2023, I think he will either move to an easier league or just retire altogether.

Andresito

Staff member
Great game.

Although there's something about his motivation..
Whenever he feels like "this is a game where I can score" he's motivated as hell, pressing like never before.
When the game is tight and he isn't getting much space, he kind of stops trying.

Yesterday there were big spaces between Athletic's lines, they didn't park the bus. Messi felt this is a game where he can get some goals, and worked accordingly.

Rarely see Messi pressing like this when we're down. I remember it was the same in a home game, where we were leading comfortably by 2-3 goals and he was pressing at 100 % in the 85th minute.

Let's hope I'm wrong. But despite of how much he's involved in build ups and providing assists, Messi will ALWAYS need his goals to be satisfied.

JohnN

When you are used to playing with a top team and scoring goals for fun, it's hard to handle such a bad spell like the team is going though for some time now. We should still keep going in the same direction thought, meaning, we meet to give all the players responsibilities and not base our whole game around Messi, because good teams can neutralize this tactic.
It's hard to dislike griezmann with his effort and all, but the fact he hides in games and doesn't take initiative is alarming.
Messi, even after the bad giveaway, was eager to take responsibility of holding and progressing the ball in tight spaces. That takes some balls and confidence to do. Every Barca player should play with that confidence.

Daniele

Great game.

Whenever he feels like "this is a game where I can score" he's motivated as hell, pressing like never before.
When the game is tight and he isn't getting much space, he kind of stops trying.

Yesterday there were big spaces between Athletic's lines, they didn't park the bus. Messi felt this is a game where he can get some goals, and worked accordingly.

Rarely see Messi pressing like this when we're down. I remember it was the same in a home game, where we were leading comfortably by 2-3 goals and he was pressing at 100 % in the 85th minute.

Let's hope I'm wrong. But despite of how much he's involved in build ups and providing assists, Messi will ALWAYS need his goals to be satisfied.

When you are used to playing with a top team and scoring goals for fun, it's hard to handle such a bad spell like the team is going though for some time now. We should still keep going in the same direction thought, meaning, we meet to give all the players responsibilities and not base our whole game around Messi, because good teams can neutralize this tactic.
It's hard to dislike griezmann with his effort and all, but the fact he hides in games and doesn't take initiative is alarming.
Messi, even after the bad giveaway, was eager to take responsibility of holding and progressing the ball in tight spaces. That takes some balls and confidence to do. Every Barca player should play with that confidence.

Surely the mind has a lot to do with player performance. I've always supported it; Messi's is above all a mental conditioning. Think about his way of being and how he is conditioned by emotions, the difficulty that an introverted person like him has to manage mental states. In fact, he recently said he wanted to go to a psychologist.

These clues make me think that much more than a physical decline, what affects the player is within the sphere of the mind

JamDav1982

Just wonder if the young players at Barca are going to change his mind to stay.

Already starting to connect very well with Pedri amd improved connections with FDJ as shown in last couple weeks. Always looked good with Fati and last couple games he and Dembele are linking up.

The oldest of that four is 23 and they will be young whipper snappers that will be in peak physical condition for him to play with in next few years.

What is the alternative at PSG? Will Neymar and Mbappe despite their quality play for Messi and work like those four will? Can Di Maria at his age do it? At City KDB is the main man and 30 soon will he play for Messi in same way?

Barca from mid to front are still a very good side and if can tighten up at DM and in CB then they can compete for all the trophies in not to distant future.

Could still be the best mid/attack in La Liga but the issue is probably having at best the 4th defence and within that making mistakes.

Been a tough first part of season but Koeman has and is making a lot of changes that had to be made and providing better platform for Barcas future.. even if he may not be around to get the benefits of it.

Daniele

Just wonder if the young players at Barca are going to change his mind to stay.

Already starting to connect very well with Pedri amd improved connections with FDJ as shown in last couple weeks. Always looked good with Fati and last couple games he and Dembele are linking up.

The oldest of that four is 23 and they will be young whipper snappers that will be in peak physical condition for him to play with in next few years.

What is the alternative at PSG? Will Neymar and Mbappe despite their quality play for Messi and work like those four will? Can Di Maria at his age do it? At City KDB is the main man and 30 soon will he play for Messi in same way?

Barca from mid to front are still a very good side and if can tighten up at DM and in CB then they can compete for all the trophies in not to distant future.

Could still be the best mid/attack in La Liga but the issue is probably having at best the 4th defence and within that making mistakes.

Been a tough first part of season but Koeman has and is making a lot of changes that had to be made and providing better platform for Barcas future.. even if he may not be around to get the benefits of it.

is the question that this article also asks
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...al-successor-made-him-fall-for-football-again

eaman

Great game.

It's not like he didnt have chances in those tight games you are talking about. If he had been on form finishing wise he would have scored in all of those games. He also didnt play too badly all round in most of those

Home of Barca Fans