Lionel Messi - v7

FCBfan22

It's his best bet atm. Extending the contract, and going hard for 2 years, then go to US or whatever. Any big title in these years would be sweet to end it on a high. And will participate to rebuild the side which is also a thing he's never really done at Barca.

Actually if he extends, we might build a core midfield with Pedri and FDJ, so we can compete for CL in 2022/2023.

malvolio

Messi gets compared to Messi standards. Stop foaming at the mouth and seeing negative in everything.

I specifically said it's not a bad return for someone who's about to be 34 and has already scored 700+ goals

Who said I'm foaming, you spastic?!

JamDav1982

It's his best bet atm. Extending the contract, and going hard for 2 years, then go to US or whatever. Any big title in these years would be sweet to end it on a high. And will participate to rebuild the side which is also a thing he's never really done at Barca.

There was plenty of motivation to be drawn from our current situation all along, but he was just acting a spoiled child who got his toys taken away from him. Now he's coming around.

He is most likely coming round as light at end of tunnel for him to leave and also realised best served by playing well would be my guess.

Whatever the reason it doesnt matter too much as was excellent but wouldnt be quick to jump to assumption it means he is happy or will stay.

feggydinho

There was plenty of motivation to be drawn from our current situation all along, but he was just acting a spoiled child who got his toys taken away from him. Now he's coming around.

I still think it is best if he leaves after this season, as the team would still be built around him if he remains

serghei

He is most likely coming round as light at end of tunnel for him to leave and also realised best served by playing well would be my guess.

Whatever the reason it doesnt matter too much as was excellent but wouldnt be quick to jump to assumption it means he is happy or will stay.

It's good for us anyway. What would be bad is him staying for money only. If he stays and plays well it's nice, if he goes, we rebuild totally and we look forward to seeing fresh blood forming a new team. Not a bad outcome either.

Pedri and Ansu can be world superstars in 1-2 years. The young players showing real, elite, talent is what's the most encouraging, not Messi recovering some of his form for me.

serghei

I still think it is best if he leaves after this season, as the team would still be built around him if he remains

Even if the team is build around him, when you have breakout players like Ansu Fati and Pedri, we can make it work short term, and any experience gained in the process by these players is only helpful.

Messi improves them as well.

I see a win-win scenario, to the point that I'm not bothered if Messi stays or goes. We should focus more on getting some top players on a free transfer, and let Messi make his decision.

We should even be trying to sign Alaba. Alaba and Wijnaldum would improve us a lot in weak areas for us.

Horatio

You're welcome
Even if the team is build around him, when you have breakout players like Ansu Fati and Pedri, we can make it work short term, and any experience gained in the process by these players is only helpful.

Messi improves them as well.

I see a win-win scenario, to the point that I'm not bothered if Messi stays or goes. We should focus more on getting some top players on a free transfer, and let Messi make his decision.

We should even be trying to sign Alaba. Alaba and Wijnaldum would improve us a lot in weak areas for us.

Honestly, I was about to reply the same. Building towards future and building around Messi a few more seasons dont have to be mutually exclusive for this team. There is enough talent to make both work.

serghei

Wijnaldum would potentially be a great transfer. He would replace Busi, and De Jong could be more retreated into a controlling role, allowing us to manage the pace of the game better. And Wijnaldum being a solid box to box profile, with great work-rate, he would show up in the box even better than De Jong is currently doing.

JamDav1982

Wijnaldum would potentially be a great transfer. He would replace Busi, and De Jong could be more retreated into a controlling role, allowing us to manage the pace of the game better. And Wijnaldum being a solid box to box profile, with great work-rate, he would show up in the box even better than De Jong is currently doing.

Wijnaldum also great in air and strong on ball.. quite a weakness in this Barca side.

He is a clear and obvious signing if wants to leave Liverpool.

Think he would come to sit more at 30 more in Busi role than FDJ.

serghei

Honestly, I was about to reply the same. Building towards future and building around Messi a few more seasons dont have to be mutually exclusive for this team. There is enough talent to make both work.

Pending on some conditions though. Reduced salary by Messi, maybe starting to rest him more and so on. There are things to be improved. You can do both if you hit the mark with transfers and improve the team with high IQ players.

Messi is a high IQ player and will create an imbalance if the manager is not right (another question mark) or the players are not on the same profile with him. If you have a great manager and some very smart players, you can make it work.

Messi's luck is Pedri sees the game in similar colors with him. And Fati as well possibly, although Fati has a selfishness, a positive cockyness that is not really down on Messi's alley so to speak.

JamDav1982

One thing that could make him start to look at staying is the runners in team Barca have compared to others.

Barca have Pedri, FDJ, Dembele, Fati, Griezmann if there who will all run into ground for him.

Will he get that at City? With KDB or PSG with Mbappe/Neymar.

The way Barca are playing it could end up the best structure for him to play in as gets older is this team.

Pedri has that athlete look that Xavi and Iniesta had. Can run all day.

Home of Barca Fans