Lionel Messi - v7

akaranzo

Omg, he scored one goal against big teams?

But we aren't winning them, aren't we?
This would have been the 7th season without CLs and the 3rd without La Liga.

You need to ask some questions then:
1. is it THAT worthy to keep him forever?
2. is he still making the advantage?
3. are his wages worth it?
4. we can't start a new era as long as he is here, so again, is it worth it if we are not winning titles and not improving team/other players who always need to pass to Messi?

Yeah we haven't been winning them because of other lacking aspects, like our barely existent defense. If you've watched our games over the past season you'd know Messi has consistently been the best player on the pitch, but we had to rely on deadwood like Lenglet, Busquets and Pique who concede goals for fun.

To answer your questions:

1. Not forever of course, but he still has 2 years in him where he would be a standout player for us.
2. Absolutely, like I said, if you watch our games he is consistently the best player. He starts almost every attack and finishes most of them too.
3. In our current situation probably not, but he was willing to go down 50% and then ANOTHER 30%. So at that point we could handle it, we have other players whose wages are a much bigger problem considering how little they contribute.
4. We absolutely can, I think playing alongside Messi is a huge learning experience for players like Fati, Pedri, De Jong and Dest for example.

All this being said, I think we can still be competitive without Messi. I thought so last summer too when Messi wanted to leave, I wanted the club to let him go if he wants to leave. It was borderline inhumane how Bartomeu forced him to stay. But it's just sad now because he wants to stay and the reason he can't is some financial bs. He would still be the heart and soul of our team for another 2 seasons easily and could teach the young players a lot.

Joan

Don't agree with you BBZ, but also don't have the energy to argue why not.

All I'll say that if Barca have a chance to win the CL, even a small chance, that dies without Messi.

That chance was close to zero either way. Has Barca won a single, relevant big match last season? Think not.

Shame this is how it ends, but sporting wise, BBZ has a point. There's little we can do with or without Messi.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
That chance was close to zero either way. Has Barca won a single, relevant big match last season? Think not.

Shame this is how it ends, but sporting wise, BBZ has a point. There's little we can do with or without Messi.

He would have a point if we didn't have a chance to win the CL two years ago where Messi carried the team only to be failed by the rest at the last hurdle.

But like I said, not in the mood for any arguments so agree to disagree.

BBZ8800

Don't agree with you BBZ, but also don't have the energy to argue why not.

All I'll say that if Barca have a chance to win the CL, even a small chance, that dies without Messi.

Don, we don't have any chance in a CL.

1. our GK can't save a shot
2. our defense is horrible
3. we have Busi in midfield
4. not a single midfielder can take a decent shot and score
5. we don't have wingers
6. Messi is man-marked by 3 players
7. team can't do anything when Messi is marked due to 10 years of Messipendencia and no one knows how to play without him
8. we don't have any leaders
9. we don't have any captains
10. Ronald Koeman is a coach, who hasn't won a single game against any big team last season
11. we conceded 13 goals in the last 270 minutes of KO matches.
That's a goal each 20 minutes.
Statistically, numbers say that we would concede 9 goals in the next 180 minutes.
Can we score more than that (aka 10 goals) even with 3 Messis on a field? I don't think so.

So, what exactly is the point of keeping 34 years old Messi except sentiments and history?

Laplacian

Unpopular opinion, but Messi was a non factor for a several years in a CL and lately even in El Classicos and bigger La Liga games.

Majority of his goals are coming from matches against midtable and bottom table clubs.

Ronaldinho was fat but it is not as if Messi is deciding titles anymore.
It's cruel, but it is truth.

Yeah, his 40 goals a season were definitely a non-factor in our 2018, 2019 La Liga titles. Definitely a non factor in us qualifying for the UCL in the past two years. He is so redundant.

Your "unpopular opinion" is unpopular because it's shit.

malvolio

so why bother then? we just keeping 6-7 players that are dead and just eat up salary.

laporta asking the captains if they're ready to give it all next season is the cherry on top. lol

Joan

He would have a point if we didn't have a chance to win the CL two years ago where Messi carried the team only to be failed by the rest at the last hurdle.

But like I said, not in the mood for any arguments so agree to disagree.

The point isn't Messi wasn't influential (or at least, it shouldn't be), but that he wouldn't be influential enough on his own for us to win big.

It is a huge loss if we cannot keep certain level without him, though. Like qualify for the CL.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The point isn't Messi wasn't influential (or at least, it shouldn't be), but that he wouldn't be influential enough on his own for us to win big.

It is a huge loss if we cannot keep certain level without him, though. Like qualify for the CL.

We should make top four without him, but I wouldn't be shocked if the team is mentally shot after this and some of the players crumble due to the pressure they'll be under.

Joan

so why bother then? we just keeping 6-7 players that are dead and just eat up salary.

laporta asking the captains if they're ready to give it all next season is the cherry on top. lol

There's noone here happy with Barca keeping Umtiti, Roberto, Coutinho etc. It's just that it's impossible to get rid of them.

Laplacian

We should make top four without him, but I wouldn't be shocked if the team is mentally shot after this and some of the players crumble due to the pressure they'll be under.

I do not think we'll make top 4 without him. We essentially have 0 reliable scorers. I'd say 1 with Griezmann, but he is so hot and cold I wouldn't rely on him. With the negative press on him, I can definitely see him going on a massive drought next year.

Home of Barca Fans