Lionel Messi - v7

snowy

he meant to say 8. subtle attempt at confusing people.

ahaaa! Detective, so MessiG has got a lil'bit of loco Loki mischief in him. Will give it a watch next but lately, been running the Lucifer's marathon.

Every1's getting irritated since I've been mimicking and hamming up his accent and demeanor :lol:

I've already got the suits. All I need now is buy a club and learn to play the piano

Laplacian

Would you play for free if you were Messi while Griezmann earns 25 mil in the same time? Come on man, be honest.

The club took a chance on him when he was a 12 year old midget and paid for his medication. Flew him all the way to Barcelona and funded his training. He's been here since he was 13. More than 20 years. The guy has been associated with the club longer than he's lived in Argentina.

The club is now in a precedented financial crisis that will place a dent on its competitivity for quite a long time. If he truly loved the club and saw it as his home, then yes I believe he would have sacrificed his wages significantly to help us. Unfortunately, I don't think the club is worth that much for him. The guy can earn 40million euros in endorsements annually, it's not like he's starving for money. Ultimately satisfying his greed for more earnings is more important to him, it's that simple.

Last edited:
So Barto was a very poor negotiator. If he would have said no to Messi during those negotiations, is anyone believing that Messi would have left Barca? Of course not, that's absurd. So the leadership could have shaved a couple of millions from the pile and nothing would have changed. But that's the problem when a club is run by a president and not an owner - it's not his money so he approaches finances as a means to an end, not as his precious assets, that need to be protected and wisely invested.

And the second problem is the "cule system". Since the president is elected, he has to give in to the common lowest denominator of the crowd - which is love/passion/fixation for footballers. The mob doesn't care about the financial situation, accountancy details - they get enamored with players and demand they sit close to them to the bitter end. That's why football agents love Barca - if their clients go there, they know they can extract maximum value and resign contracts in easier terms than at other clubs. Look at players like Busquets, Alba or Pique - they still ride the gravy train even though a smart owner would have sold them years ago, when they were still worth something. Or look at the targets that were supposed to be sold this summer: no bids. We have overrated players, with overinflated wages that have no resell value - and it's not entirely the fault of the board. Perez, on the other hand, knows that he is also an investor - and cans everyone he thinks he's dispensable. Ramos? Gone. Was the Madrid fandom in tears? Perhaps. Was it in arms? No. Because at the end of the day footballers are a tool, not an objective: you need them to win trophies and make your club healthy. They're not there to fulfill the secret desires of grown men wearing football t-shirts.

hardyboy

People are stupid who are suggesting Messi should've played for free. It doesn't work like that. Would Barcelona keep giving him wages if he declines and isn't a first team starter? No right? Why should he sacrifice his wages when he is at his best? Loyalty is a bitch in football. Clubs very conveniently doesn't show loyalty to players when they decline, Why should the players show loyalty to clubs when they are at their best. And it wasn't like Messi refused to take a cut on his wages. He did that but asking him to play for free is too much imo.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Barca getting bantered quite hard by this lad. Had to tweet it in Spanish instead of French for maximum salt.

The Qataris overdoing themselves with confirmations and upholding shirts actually make me believe his contract there is not as done as dusted as it sounds yet. No incentive for them to do it if it was (other than... trolling on Twitter), as it would be announced properly in a couple of days anyway, and no repercussions for them to do it if it isn't. I find what someone said here about this being a nice move to keep other clubs disinterested believable. Not saying that it won't happen, just... I doubt Messi himself has formally really agreed to anything yet.

Last edited:

Messigician

They dreamed about Messi from the start.

The COVID situation Was their opportunity as oil clubs are not impacted by the pandemic. PSG suffered losses of over 200m this season and they do not care.

Barto gets alot of blame for Messi's contract but he was heavily linked with PSG and City who offered him a blank cheque. I'm certain he was forced to give Messi that contract just like Neymar demanded a low release clause....

The super league is the only thing that can match those clubs massive rise...

Messi like other south American players is motivated by greed

r_sk

The club took a chance on him when he was a 12 year old midget and paid for his medication. Flew him all the way to Barcelona and funded his training. He's been here since he was 13. More than 20 years. The guy has been associated with the club longer than he's lived in Argentina.

The club is now in a precedented financial crisis that will place a dent on its competitivity for quite a long time. If he truly loved the club and saw it as his home, then yes I believe he would have sacrificed his wages significantly to help us. Unfortunately, I don't think the club is worth that much for him. The guy can earn 40million euros in endorsements annually, it's not like he's starving for money. Ultimately satisfying his greed for more earnings is more important to him, it's that simple.

If not Barca, some other team would have done that or his entourage would have got some other help;
Seeing his talent Barca signed him, it?s not a charity done by Barca; Multiple teams tried to lure him even at the start of his career;

Why did Barca overpay if he doesn?t deserve? Barca should have said ?No? for his demands if it is not feasible; He might have agreed for lesser pay at that time itself; Barca knew he is the most priced asset & they can?t afford to let him go at the time of his last renewal too; There were other teams who were willing to pay his salary; Even last year they got a chance to sell him for 80 - 100M when he made a request to leave; Didn?t Barca force him to stay?

Messigician

I'm sorry to expose this publicly but he was never going to retire here.

Menu
ESPN
SCORES
Football
Home
Scores
Fixtures
Olympics
Transfers
Teams
League & Cups
Tables

A history of Lionel Messi's nine deals at Barcelona as he signs to 2021
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
26 Nov, 2017
Sam Marsden
Barcelona correspondent
After a period of uncertainty, Barcelona have confirmed that Lionel Messi has committed his future to the club until 2021.

Messi's current deal was due to expire next summer and there has been speculation that he could leave the club, with Manchester City reported to be among the interested parties.

However, the 30-year-old has been the subject of similar speculation before and Barca always remained confident that he would extend his stay at Camp Nou. With his latest renewal, Messi has now signed nine professional contracts with the Catalan club, although, aged 34 when the latest one expires, there might not be many more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a recap of all the deals he's signed with the club -- and the times he's reported to have been close to leaving:

FEBRUARY 2004: Some nine months before he made his official debut for the Barcelona first-team, Messi signed his first professional contract with the club. It's probably not the most important contract signed during the Argentine's time in Spain, though, that honour would have to be bestowed upon the napkin signed by Charly Reach.

JUNE 2005: Now fully integrated into the first-team, Barca realised they had a real star on their hands. To that effect, they moved quickly to tie him down until 2010. The most interesting part of the teenager's new terms was that his release clause increased to ?150 million, a clear sign of how highly he was valued.

SEPTEMBER 2005: Less than three months passed and Messi was signing another new contract as the euphoria surrounding him continued to rise in and out of Spain. Reports in the local press at the time suggested he doubled his salary as he committed to the Catalan club until 2014.

MARCH 2007: Less than two years passed until he penned another new deal. This time he didn't extend his stay at Camp Nou, but was handed a wage rise to a reported ?100,000-a-week.

JULY 2008: Another year, another new contract, this time reportedly making him club's highest paid player as he inherited the departed Ronaldinho's No. 10 shirt.

SEPTEMBER 2009: Messi signed a new seven-year deal (until 2016) after winning the Champions League with Pep Guardiola against Manchester United in Rome. At the same time, his release clause was reportedly boosted to ?250m.

FEBRUARY 2013: Given the flurry of contracts he'd signed in his first few years at the Camp Nou, it's somewhat surprising his 2013 deal was handed to him three-and-a-half years after he'd last signed a contract with the club. But this time he extended his deal until 2018.

MAY 2014: Reports in Madrid-based newspaper AS claimed Barca were seriously considering cashing in on Messi for ?250m. Journalist Moises Llorens claims there was even an email sent to Jorge Messi, the player's father, promising the family 10 percent of any prospective deal. Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea, Manchester City and Real Madrid were all linked.

MAY 2014: To the backdrop of those reports, Messi was also reportedly annoyed at how the season had gone under Tata Martino. Barca won nothing -- losing the league on the final day of the season at home to Atletico Madrid, who also knocked them out of the Champions League -- and felt the supporters were blaming him for the team's shortcomings.

MAY 2014: And aside from speculation, a post by the player himself on his Chinese social media site suggested all was not well: "The truth is that things have not gone as we expected -- it was a tough year, both personally and in the group. About my own situation, I am happy to stay at my home [Barcelona], as I have always said. It is the people in Barcelona who have to decide what to do about my future, but my choice is to stay once I feel the same affection from them. If not, then I will look for another solution because I will always want the best for this club."

MAY 2014: Any fear that he would leave were eventually ended before the World Cup in Brazil, though, as Messi signed an "improved" deal, although not an extension on his previous deal, which ran until 2018.

JANUARY 2015: Just over six months since that fuss, Messi's future was again in the spotlight. He missed an open training session after being left on the bench against Real Sociedad, then began to follow Chelsea players and the club on Instagram, fuelling rumours of a move to join up with Jose Mourinho of all people. It was suggested his relationship with his coach, Luis Enrique, was at breaking point. However, with the help of Xavi, Luis Enrique and Messi were able to overcome their problems.

JANUARY 2015: Messi felt compelled to appear on Barca TV to deny stories about his future. "Thanks for giving me the opportunity to give my version of events," he said of the Chelsea reports, going on to call them "lies." He added: "I have no intention of going anywhere, [the reports] hurt because they come from people who say they [support Barca]. I am just another player. Stop throwing s---."

JANUARY 2016: Having won the Treble the previous season, Messi firmly states he wants to finish his career at Camp Nou: "I've always said that I can't leave Barcelona. It's always my response. I want to finish my career at home and my home is Barcelona. Football changes so much. A year ago, we were all getting criticised and we ended up winning nearly everything. My intention is to terminate my career where it started, in Barcelona."

JUNE 2016: The Daily Mail claim Manchester United made several attempts to sign Messi.

JULY 2016: La Liga president Javier Tebas says he fears Messi could leave Barcelona and Spain due to charges brought against him and his father for tax evasion.

SEPTEMBER 2016: Not for the first time, Messi suggests he'd like to return to Argentine club Newell's Old Boys, where his career started, when his time at the top level in Europe ends: "I would love to [return to Newell's]. It is something I have kept an eye on because it was my dream as a child."

SEPTEMBER 2016: Josep Maria Bartomeu tells ESPN that Messi has a contract for life as the club begin to prepare an extension to his current deal, which ends in 2018.

OCTOBER 2016: Manchester City coach Pep Guardiola and CEO Ferran Soriano dismiss stories in Mundo Deportivo that City tried to sign Messi in the summer, saying they would never contact him. However, both are also keen to point out that if he ever decided to leave Barca, they'd be there waiting at the front of the queue.

NOVEMBER 2017: Barca take a risk by allowing Messi to move into the final 12 months of his contract, but they eventually reach an agreement for him to extend his stay at Camp Nou and announce it in July.

2020 Messi threatens to leave yet again saying he has the ability to leave for free whenever he wants. (Lol) which player would demand that clause be included? It's Neymar release clause situation x100

2021 Messi leaves for free to PSG rumoured 100m signing on fee.

Messigician

If not Barca, some other team would have done that or his entourage would have got some other help;
Seeing his talent Barca signed him, it?s not a charity done by Barca; Multiple teams tried to lure him even at the start of his career;

Why did Barca overpay if he doesn?t deserve? Barca should have said ?No? for his demands if it is not feasible; He might have agreed for lesser pay at that time itself; Barca knew he is the most priced asset & they can?t afford to let him go at the time of his last renewal too; There were other teams who were willing to pay his salary; Even last year they got a chance to sell him for 80 - 100M when he made a request to leave; Didn?t Barca force him to stay?

LMFAO that cat was only leaving to city for free dawg literally the point of his legal Burofax if you bothered reading if

Home of Barca Fans