Lionel Messi - v7

Devils

Lol asking him to play for free is easy to say, but nobody would do it themselves.

Be real, if you had the choice of earning nothing vs earning 40m over a year, no matter how rich you were, you would choose the 40m.

This is easy to suggest to play for free but impossible to do once you are put into the position of choice

akaranzo

That would be the exact opposite of embarrassing for Messi.
It would honor him actually to wear the Barca jersey without any financial compensation

I'm saying it would be embarrassing for the club to ask him to do that. No one would ever live that down, ''remember when Barcelona asked the best player of all time to play for literally 0 euros while paying Griezmann and Dembele hundreds of millions?''. And I don't think it would ''honor'' him either, having given so much to the club over the years and now being rewarded with a final contract that gives you nothing whatsoever. And like I said, it's not just him but a lot of other people earning money off of his contract so it's not even up to just him.

serghei

Lol asking him to play for free is easy to say, but nobody would do it themselves.

Be real, if you had the choice of earning nothing vs earning 40m over a year, no matter how rich you were, you would choose the 40m.

This is easy to suggest to play for free but impossible to do once you are put into the position of choice

Some might if they already have 600m in the bank account. He doesn't really need the money in that year.

But yea, people in general are greedy. It is a nasty flaw but a very common one.

Last edited:

gulaman

Expecting Messi to play for free is such an absurd notion. It's easy for football fans to make that suggestion but in reality it will never happen and if you were in his position, you would not play for free either. He's the best player in the world and there are clubs willing to pay for his ability and his commercial potential. So why would he ignore that and stay at a club going downhill and in financial chaos after giving 20 years of his life and the best years of his career? He's not a youth player just happy to be in the team. He is the GOAT and it's not unreasonable of him to want a salary that matches his status.

Sailor Mars

I can say this with 100% confidence, there is no one on this forum and no athlete in the world that would play for free if they were in the same position as Messi.

serghei

It's hilarious when you say play for free though when the guy had the most absurd salary in history in the previous 4 years prior to this one. :lol:

We paid him in the previous contract in 4 years 100% more than what he would have gotten in any other team. Including the oil clubs.

Yea, let's just ignore that. :lol:

Last edited:

Sailor Mars

The French/Qatari club would have paid him much more. They were desperate for a new and bigger star after Ibra left.

Messi got what he could negotiate. Nobody holds a gun to anyone's head in contract negotiations. Barto just got bent over in every single negotiation he was involved with.

serghei

The French/Qatari club would have paid him much more. They were desperate for a new and bigger star after Ibra left.

Messi got what he could negotiate. Nobody holds a gun to anyone's head in contract negotiations. Barto just got bent over in every single negotiation he was involved with.

Really? Rumored is 35-40m. We paid him around 75 per year net. Double.

Besides, our model is nothing like Qatar's.

r_sk

Why Messi has to play for free? Can Barca/Laporta guarantee or give hope for big trophies without any embarrassment?
Why he has to sacrifice his career/legacy? He might just has 2 final years in the top flight;
Did Barca improve their squad from last season; Slim chance of improving for next season too;
All they added is Depay, Aguero & Garcia; None of the big teams hardly tried to sign these guys even on free;
The club is in a dire situation of running on a teenager(Pedri) legs without any rest for another long season;

Horatio

You're welcome
Honestly...forget the salary. Like someone said PSG is the better sporting project. He can bag a few more balon dors and CLs before heading to states. He must also be tired of some players at Barca. As an athlete he deserves to give himself that chance.

Last edited:

serghei

Anyway, it's all for the best in the end. I wish to Messi many Ligue 1 Ubereats, 50 goals a season, and 0 CLs, unless they play Madrid or Bayern in the final.

Horatio

You're welcome
I am really curious to find out if Messi will truly be happy there. Or we're going to hear rumours of dressing room feuds.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Seeing him playing alongside Ramos will be very weird.

Best of luck in France legend. And I agree with serghei, do blast the hell out of Real Madrid and Bayern in the CL. I don't mind PSG winning a CL or two.

Home of Barca Fans