Lionel Messi - v7

FC433

No, I said club should negotiate for rational fee. Saying "Pay up 700m or he is going no where" is not rational, because we are talking about 33yr old Messi with 9 months left on his contract. If it was 2-3 years I wouldn't be saying this, but the fact that he has such clause in his contract, he wants to go, he is 33yr old AND his contract is running out in less then a year means it will turn out really, really ugly if we ask for 700m or leave the guy on the bench.
Messi asking to leave three weeks before the start of the season is irrational, there is that too. Why would you leave him on the bench though?

Rory

Messi asking to leave three weeks before the start of the season is irrational, there is that too. Why would you leave him on the bench though?

Shit timing but when did the season end? Hardly going to be good timing with covid ruining the schedule

gulaman

It's disappointing that Messi is even considering Man City as an option. If the best player in the world is leaving a great club like Barca then at least go to another great club like Bayern, Juve, Liverpool, Man United etc. City are a nothing club, they just have a lot of money. What a sad end to Messi's legacy that while he was still is the best, he decided to spend his last few years at the top with a tinpot club that isn't even the biggest club in its own city.

FC433

^
@Rory
Exactly. Ideally, he should have waited for next season or made that decision in January just like Xavi and Iniesta. That is the point of the contract, to give us the opportunity to prepare for his departure. Is that really too much to ask for what we have given him?

blaugrana1987

Its a bit shitty, but I reckon we would get this notice in May had it been normal season. Considering COVID and the fact we lost CL Q 10 days ago, it's not that horrible. Its as bad as Suarez situation, telling him to find a club and 10+m pay in 2 weeks time is also a bit shitty, but situation is shitty anyway.

Thing is, Messi has limited time, he can and wants to win, but this Barca will not be able to win for several years. We need to rebuild, and that is why him going or leaving will not affect our ability to compete, because we can't either way.

FCBfan22

At this point the rat should call City and ask for 70m+Garcia and Silva. Get this done. It's painful, but we should deal with it ASAP.

eaman

^
@Rory
Exactly. Ideally, he should have waited for next season or made that decision in January just like Xavi and Iniesta. That is the point of the contract, to give us the opportunity to prepare for his departure. Is that really too much to ask for what we have given him?

The bayern result obviously made up his mind and he doesnt exactly have time to be waiting another year to move on. Anyway he would be free next year. At least now there's a possibility of money for him

Rory

^
@Rory

Just a genuine question because there's so many posts in this thread recently. Are you one of the people of the opinion he's only threatening to leave because his buddies are being thrown out?

FinBarcelonafan

The bayern result obviously made up his mind and he doesnt exactly have time to be waiting another year to move on. Anyway he would be free next year. At least now there's a possibility of money for him

That's why it's funny. Messi blames only the management not his shitty attitude or his buddies attitude. He lacks any blame to himself and amigos. All blame to Bartomeu. Bartomeus mistake was to be too nice to players(huge and long contracts) and buy shitty players.

Players fault:

Blaming others for their struggles

Barca becoming veteran home for collecting money

The worst attitude in the football world. I would even call it cancerous. They are badly spoiled. They call the fans spoiled while earning by far the biggest salary in the world. Certain things are expected when you are paid that much.

No high standards for playing/practise/anything. The team lost their motivation what got them to the top.

Lack of effort.

What to fix:

Management. Bartomeu needs to go and then find someone who is more ruthless with the players. No more treating past their prime players like the best in the world. Football is ruthless business. We need to make changes whenever we see problems, like CL 4-5 YEARS ago!!! But nothing was changed. We blamed it on bad luck..

No more player power. Players can't run the club. It doesn't work. Someone needs to make sure the players run and put up good effort, otherwise you are on the bench. We need manager who has balls to sit players if they are not working hard enough.

No more insane salaries. Our wage sctucture is garbage. We don't need to pay more than United for example. If someone wants to live in Manchester over Barcelona, be my guest. Barcelona is a top place to live and enjoy amazing life of the field. We should top attraction even without paying 25% salary extra to others.

Last edited:

Messi983

ok so if Messi leaves and the board gets reelected for some reason, what would you do?

I'm not even going to be angry, just stop watching Barca altogether.

They won't get reelected.

I will still watch Barca regardless of what will happen. I've stayed loyal to the club during the Gaspart era (I couldn't watch every game back then like I can now but I've used some shitty chinese streams where I could barely recognize players, lol) and one of my favourite games up to this day is still that Rivaldo hattrick performance vs Valencia that qualified us for the CL and then Gaspart going crazy in the stands. We were a bad team but they've still showed fighting spirit and passion our (former) current players don't have.

But whatever doom and gloom people are expecting over the next few years our situation is nowhere close to be as bad as it was back then. We'll struggle for a few years and I'm ready for that but I'm still cautiously optimistic about our future. We'll come back strong again one day and I'll support this team through whatever not so bright future expects us and wait for that day when we'll be on the top again.

Rory

That's why it's funny. Messi blames only the management not his shitty attitude or his buddies attitude. He lacks any blame to himself and amigos. All blame to Bartomeu. Bartomeus mistake was to be too nice to players(huge and long contracts) and buy shitty players.

Come on man, you've literally just contradicted your own statement there.

Batistuta9

At this point the rat should call City and ask for 70m+Garcia and Silva. Get this done. It's painful, but we should deal with it ASAP.

There's a possibility that Messi might leave for free. Once this has been discarded, then we can think about what we'll get.

FC433

Just a genuine question because there's so many posts in this thread recently. Are you one of the people of the opinion he's only threatening to leave because his buddies are being thrown out?
do not really know. I believe that there are a lot reasons not just one. Messy environment, a new challenge, poor relationships with the board (Abidal, for example). He has just had enough. But that does not excuse his unacceptable and unpleasant behaviour. Ignoring QS's instructions and indirectly criticizing him (when he said that everything went wrong since January) before the end of the season and now this. Should be called out and criticized for such behaviour.

It is perfectly fine to criticize both the board and Messi. You do not have to pick a side.

FCBfan22

If we can get Silva and Garcia, we can look somewhat decent and maybe even put up a fight for Liga next year:

-----------------------MATS-----------------
Semedo--Garcia--Lenglet--Alba
-------Pjanić-----------De Jong--------
Dembele-------Silva--------------Fati
----------------Griezmann----------------

This is a decent team, I could do with. Could use some better fullbacks tho.

Home of Barca Fans