Lionel Messi - v7

blaugrana1987

If La liga is better barometer than hard to argue that Real were better team in those years.

Real and Ronaldo in particular has been much more clutch in CL than Messi/Barca. Some luck throw in but Barca had that as well.

Barca too often let their performances drop in CL. The whole team including Messi.
I dunno, other fanbase (RM) sees Messi as absolute cheat code in La Liga, because in CL there will be times when Messi will be guarded by 2-3 players from top team, carefully following game plan they set. In la Liga things are more "casual" as in, you have 38 matches and if one guy guarantees goal and assist pretty much every game, then its much easier to win.

Suddenly when you get to CL and that guy gets completely swarmed, and guys like Dembele miss emtpy net for 5-1, then things can turn sour. Although, duo to that crowding I would say Messi's level does look worse in CL.

JamDav1982

I dunno, other fanbase (RM) sees Messi as absolute cheat code in La Liga, because in CL there will be times when Messi will be guarded by 2-3 players from top team, carefully following game plan they set. In la Liga things are more "casual" as in, you have 38 matches and if one guy guarantees goal and assist pretty much every game, then its much easier to win.

Suddenly when you get to CL and that guy gets completely swarmed, and guys like Dembele miss emtpy net for 5-1, then things can turn sour. Although, duo to that crowding I would say Messi's level does look worse in CL.

Messi does not get ?completely swarmed? and his playing style leads to that being easier in those CL games at times.

Liverpool game he played well and is not one of those he was poor in.

Messi has dominated likes of Atletico to then be poor v them in defeat in CL.

Too often his and teams levels dropped.

KingLeo10

Here's R10's KO goal scoring for Barcelona in CL in 5 years:

03/04: 0, think we were Europa league (not his fault, obviously. I'm not agenda driven like BBZ).
04/05: 2, versus Chelsea
05/06: 2, versus Chelsea and Benfica
06/07: 0
07/08: 0

So, R10 in 4 (or 5) years scored 4 CL KO goals for Barcelona. Does that mean CR7 is 15 times the player that R10 is because he has 60 KO goals? CR7 is a better player than R10 because of longevity but you see the problem in only looking at certain numbers do you not?

And R10 is one of your favorite players, BBZ. You going to shit on him too?

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
This thing is still not resolved?

The longer this drags on the less focused we will be on preparing for the upcoming season. Really disappointed.

snowy

Messi called Bartomeu on several occasions, but the president didn't pick up the phone. [rac1]

Incredible balls from Barto. Mental breakdown from Messi and his entourage incoming

hahaha looks like it's Barto Slurpy time time again. Your hero be playin Telephone by Lady Gaga on a loop

giphy.gif
Spin Dat Shizz Gyrosman ! :dance: :rofl1:

I think he enjoy debating and writing essays. I won't be surprised if he's in other sports forum debating basketball, baseball, tennis, boxing etc etc
He's always entertaining. Saw some of his posts on bloodyelbow and celebheights basketball section. Super funny post on Kevin Durant... was it?

Nazario1985

Of course it makes sense since 2017 & barto trolling + bad decisions :

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Barcelona presidential candidate, Toni Freixa: ?As I have heard from several sides, the decision the player [Lionel Messi] has come to is one that has matured over several years and is irrevocable. I don't believe that there is any going back."<br><br>[via <a href="https://twitter.com/goal?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@goal</a>]</p>— Man City Xtra (@City_Xtra) <a href="https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1300416285793288194?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 31, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

gregorrin10

If that City offer of Bernardo Silva, Gabriel Jesus and Eric Garcia plus 100M for Messi is true (which I very much doubt it) then we need to take it in a heartbeat. Since Messi is intent on leaving but still feels enough love to clearly wants us not to end up empty handed, we need to take advantage of that good will, stop being stubborn, and take what we can get for him this year, instead of going to court and losing him for FREE either this year or next year anyway! Not to mention going to court would prove to be even more damaging for the club. Plus, it would be so lit to see Messi possibly destroy the PL and with it the annoying Penaldo fan boys, who gave Messi a hard time of not proving himself in another league, especially the PL. Anyway, back to Barca.

Need to then also sell Suarez, Vidal, Rakitic (likely done), Pique, Busquets and Alba. Also Umtiti, rumoured to be involved in a swap deal for Depay, I'd honestly take that, cause we lack his exact profile in attack (LW, also able to play CF). In an ideal world, I'd sell Roberto too, but I don't consider him as part of the amigos anyway, and he loves the club, and he seems like a well enough easy going character, who could mix just as well with the younger guys, I guess he can stay, but purely as a utility player for midfield (and RB only in case of injuries). Then buy Gaya from Valencia for a bargain price, I honestly think 20-25M would be enough for Valencia to accept at the moment. Add to that getting Dest from Ajax for a similar price, or simply bringing back Emerson and see how he does for a year and if we can count on him. And you basically already have the makeover we want, the team would look like this in Koeman's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation:

GK: Ter Stegen, Neto (Inaki Pena, if we sell Neto to raise additional funds)
RB: Semedo, Dest/Emerson (Roberto)
CB: Todibo, Lenglet, Garcia, Araujo
LB: Gaya, Firpo/Cucurella (if we sell Firpo to raise additional funds, we bring back Cucu)
RDM: De Jong, Alena
LDM: Pjanič, Roberto
CAM: Coutinho, Puig (Pedri)
LW: Dembele, Fati, Depay
CF: Griezmann, Jesus
RW: Silva, Dembele, Trincao.

Maybe loan out Pedri for one season this summer to give Coutinho one last chance to succeed here in his best position without Messi occupying that space. If he flops, ship him out to the Premier League next summer too and bring back Pedri from loan on his place. And we still have that 100M cash from the Messi deal saved plus anything we might get from selling Coutinho next year (in case we do) to further better the team in the next few years, if we need to (Haaland?). I feel that this would be the perfect plan to do for the future of our club after Messi right now.

Bulgroz

I don't see a world in which a Umtiti/Depay swap would happen. Depays earns 4.2M a year in Lyon, and he's their highest salary. Umtiti earns 7M a year here. Why on earth would he agree to go back to Lyon and divide his salary by two ? And why on earth would Lyon accept to give away their best offensive player for a defender who's litteraly injured every two games ?

I know he's homegrown, but it's not going to happen.

gregorrin10

Messi is 33., not 23.

Yet, he's still coming of a G25 A21 season, and the best midfielder in the world right now would be feeding him through balls. He could focus solely on the goal scoring, not that he would, cause he'd still destroy opponents with assists too. Not to mention finally playing again in an actual system, and not just any, but a Pep system would do wonders for him.

Home of Barca Fans