Lionel Messi - v7

JamDav1982

Not that wording he used. He clearly stated that Messi would be free to do so if he wanted to leave. He just didn't think Messi would do. Regardless of his clause or not, Messi wishes to leave. Bartomeu said he could leave and wouldn't stand in his way. He's only using the 700m release clause because he's put us in the shit.

Haggling over a 9 month contract is pretty pathetic. Instead of wasting time on that, we could be using that time to negotiate a good price. He's 33, 9 months left, and would be playing under an average manager in an average squad for another year..... whilst being unhappy. Besides, Messi can sign a pre-contract in January with any club he wishes to. Bartomeu can't stop that.

It was in his contract how can leave before start of 2020/21 season. Twist it all you like but that is what was being discussed.

Trying to break contract free is pathetic and club need to protect themselves first.

raskolnikov

City are sitting back waiting to see if can get him for free.

It is not on Barca to start offering deals in which they can sign Messi.
Of course it is. Put it on Messi by saying either a good city offer or a court date.
If he wants to leave on a good note city will be forced to make that offer.
If its going down the current road its a lose/lose situarion no matter what happens.

JamDav1982

But we don't know who's in the right. Barcelona's side is saying he can't leave because he has a contract.... and Messi's side is saying he can leave for free. We won't know who's right until it goes to the court.

Again.... Messi would be gone for free if could and avoiding court is about trying to get outcome he wants and zero to do with his 'love for club'.

JamDav1982

Of course it is. Put it on Messi by saying either a good city offer or a court date.
If he wants to leave on a good note city will be forced to make that offer.
If its going down the current road its a lose/lose situarion no matter what happens.

No it is on City to make an offer and not on club to start offering him up.

That can happen until Messi admits he is still part of club anyway.

If Messi/City want it to happen it is on them not on Barca to initiate the sale.

Barca wont name a number anyway as it weakens them if goes to court and stage of FIFA agreeing a fee.

xxxxxx

Again.... Messi would be gone for free if could and avoiding court is about trying to get outcome he wants and zero to do with his 'love for club'.

You honestly don't get it. If a club takes Messi on now, they could be in breach. Both sides are arguing their case.

Messi has clearly stated he's a free agent. He's not missing training for the fun of it. He clearly must think he has a case.

malvolio

Champagne? Messi leaving is great for Barcelona as a club and a football side. He's not really responsible for the rot, but Barcelona project leaders have made his presence the cornerstone of toxicity.
I predict that Messi leaving will result in a form of identity crisis and a bit of a blowback season like Real have with Ronaldo, but the narrative will see a massive change. Talented dudes like Griezmann or Dembele will no longer look like they're 15 or 30x worse than a 32-year old and will have a fresh start instead of playing catchup.

I've been saying for 2-3 years now that Messi leaving is the best that could have happened for this project. 2 years ago I wrote Busquets and Pique were cancers, most claimed they can be useful, only Valverde was being an inept pussy and couldn't figure out a way to make it work. Same things were claimed for Messi who was a 'net benefit to the team with production' and the project having a title 'figure out a way to play well with Messi as Xaviesta get old' instead of 'play good football no matter who is there'.

This is no celebration for me. Barca will be better off in time. This 20/21 coronaseason doesn't matter a whole lot. You'd probably lose the title on depth to Real because your 2nd fiddle is somewhat less reliable, too many oldies to shift at once and not enough talent to carry a jampacked schedule.
But with Messi gone now, steering towards a better future with different players at the centre could make you much much better in 21/22 as players also look to perform well in winter Qatar WC.

you had to ruin the reply by mentioning griezmann and dembele, didn't you? :lol:

main problem for barcelona is that it doesn't have a young solid core of players that can be relied upon. board tried over the years to bring in new blood but it failed spectacularly and coaches resorted to the oldies and messi in particular to keep us competitive.

instead of having a natural transition we go all in an replace half the team with names that have disappointed, are injury prone or not good enough. and we don't have the money to splash around for really good players.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

You honestly don't get it. If a club takes Messi on now, they could be in breach. Both sides are arguing their case.

Messi has clearly stated he's a free agent. He's not missing training for the fun of it. He clearly must think he has a case.

No you dont get it and try to make out this is about 'Messis love for club' to try and avoid court.

Messi has to claim free agent to have any hope of winning and it also puts pressure on Barca.

Messi is out for himself and does not care at all about the club in this negotiation. Which is his right.

Messi983

He can't bank on that, though. Messi is free to sign a pre-contract with any club in January regardless of that. Besides, we have no money to rebuild.

If he'll stay until January then he might as well wait for two more months to see who a new president will be before signing a pre-contract with another club. If his status will still be in the air by March then we can be sure whoever will be elected one of his first tasks will be to talk to Messi.

I might be wrong but I think this is what Bartomeu is trying to do by holding onto Messi even if he'll reject to renew his contract (which I think is almost guaranteed at this point). He obviously doesn't want to go down as a president who will let Messi leave eventhough at this point it would be better to move on from him if he's not 100% commited to the club anymore.

blaugrana1987

Its going to be spicy for sure. Doubt board that paid hookers to Neymar father as part of transfer deal and who's president ended up in jail for financial shenenigans doesn't have everything written in contract exactly as MD is saying.

What I wonder is, why did rato even agree to such contract and why did he go out on tape and say Messi can leave for free because he is such an absolute legend? I suppose we are not that deep in the shit that he has to fight this tooth and nail?

raskolnikov

No it is on City to make an offer and not on club to start offering him up.

That can happen until Messi admits he is still part of club anyway.

If Messi/City want it to happen it is on them not on Barca to initiate the sale.

Barca wont name a number anyway as it weakens them if goes to court and stage of FIFA agreeing a fee.

They dont need to put a number down. Just say if hecwants to avood court have city put in a good offer.
That will get things rolling in the right direction.
How do you picture us getting money if it goes to court?
Neither side is giving in at this point and city is fine letting it unfold since they are on Messi's side.

If barca wins in court barto isnt suddenly changing his mind and still sell messi for a good price.

Messi983

Its going to be spicy for sure. Doubt board that paid hookers to Neymar father as part of transfer deal and who's president ended up in jail for financial shenenigans doesn't have everything written in contract exactly as MD is saying.

What I wonder is, why did rato even agree to such contract and why did he go out on tape and say Messi can leave for free because he is such an absolute legend? I suppose we are not that deep in the shit that he has to fight this tooth and nail?

He never said Messi can leave for free.

raskolnikov

If he'll stay until January then he might as well wait for two more months to see who a new president will be before signing a pre-contract with another club. If his status will still be in the air by March then we can be sure whoever will be elected one of his first tasks will be to talk to Messi.

I might be wrong but I think this is what Bartomeu is trying to do by holding onto Messi even if he'll reject to renew his contract (which I think is almost guaranteed at this point). He obviously doesn't want to go down as a president who will let Messi leave eventhough at this point it would be better to move on from him if he's not 100% commited to the club anymore.

I think letting him leave on a free in 9 months is wau worse then getting money now when he wants out anyway.

xxxxxx

Bartomeu doesn't care. He's going to be hated regardless if Messi stays or goes.

JamDav1982

They dont need to put a number down. Just say if hecwants to avood court have city put in a good offer.
That will get things rolling in the right direction.
How do you picture us getting money if it goes to court?
Neither side is giving in at this point and city is fine letting it unfold since they are on Messi's side.

If barca wins in court barto isnt suddenly changing his mind and still sell messi for a good price.

City can make an offer without Barca giving them permission to.

They want him for free.

Home of Barca Fans