Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

raskolnikov

I dont think Haaland deserves it though. He is just too much of a striker and ghosted in the big matches despite the treble. He's like a better van Nistelrooy. I would prefer de Bruyne winning it over him though.

khaled_a_d

Let's hope Scaloni convinces him otherwise.
I think it will be year to year decision, now 2026 seems far away for him. After 2024 Copa he might take a timeout and then they will try to convince him back, depending on whether he still wants to play football or retire though. If he is active I think it will be too much for him to pass on it.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not sure a 39 year old Messi is someone you want to build your World Cup team around tbh. If he wins Copa America next year he should consider retiring and leaving on a high.

Would be perfect timing as it'll give them enough time to build the next team.

fergus90

Surely it would be best if Messi’s last WC was the one where he won and played the significant part.

Im not sure soon to be 40 year old Messi having played three years in the USA is going to provide the grandstand finish that some would hope.

soul24rage

I think it will be year to year decision, now 2026 seems far away for him. After 2024 Copa he might take a timeout and then they will try to convince him back, depending on whether he still wants to play football or retire though. If he is active I think it will be too much for him to pass on it.
True. I trust his judgement of when to stop.

Looking at the list of young Argentines in Messi's position, I honestly think that a 39 year old Messi would be better than them, even having played in MLS for like 3 years. Could be totally wrong on this part, but this is just my opinion. The team and the squad has potential to be better than that of 2022 so we'll see what Messi thinks of the team after the 2024 Copa America.

Either way, I'm happy with what he chooses.

malvolio

I dont think Haaland deserves it though. He is just too much of a striker and ghosted in the big matches despite the treble. He's like a better van Nistelrooy. I would prefer de Bruyne winning it over him though.
Yup, Messi did the biggest carrying job of the season. Haaland while good, has depended more on City than City on him.

khaled_a_d

Surely it would be best if Messi’s last WC was the one where he won and played the significant part.
Why though?
People seems to care about "great ending " but honesty it is the most overrated thing in football.
1994 WC took nothing from Maradona, even with doping accusations he remained in GOAT discussion. Many greats didn't end their career at high point, and it rarely mattered

fergus90

Why though?
People seems to care about "great ending " but honesty it is the most overrated thing in football.
1994 WC took nothing from Maradona, even with doping accusations he remained in GOAT discussion. Many greats didn't end their career at high point, and it rarely mattered
I personally don’t care about any ending but given the previously turbulent relationship the Argentinian nation has had with Messi, it seems fitting that he finished as a world champion.

Maradona was lucky he played pre-Twitter.

malvolio

I personally don’t care about any ending but given the previously turbulent relationship the Argentinian nation has had with Messi, it seems fitting that he finished as a world champion.

Maradona was lucky he played pre-Twitter.
Some of you are projecting your social media insecurities on to a billionaire footballer who will go down as best in history.

fergus90

Some of you are projecting your social media insecurities on to a billionaire footballer who will go down as best in history.
First you question my financial security, now you question my social media integrity.

On all my accounts I have more followers than Jesus ever did.

And don’t act like Maradona wouldn’t be getting called Paradona by the Twitter experts.

Andresito

Staff member
First you question my financial security, now you question my social media integrity.

On all my accounts I have more followers than Jesus ever did.

And don’t act like Maradona wouldn’t be getting called Paradona by the Twitter experts.
Don't give Gician any ideas.

Home of Barca Fans