Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

Messigician

Not many would take 4 years of 30-33 years old Messi at that contract though.

That contract was wrong, plain and simple.
And not his mistake either, the board should have stand their ground and negotiated a better deal, it is their job.
But there is no defense for that contract, it is one of the reasons why we didn't spend wisely on other areas despite massive wage that killed the club during covid.
Worse yet

Other players wanted more to renew because of Messi's insane deal

malvolio

And not his mistake either, the board should have stand their ground and negotiated a better deal, it is their job.
But there is no defense for that contract, it is one of the reasons why we didn't spend wisely on other areas despite massive wage that killed the club during covid.
City and PSG would have paid him that. So it's not like there weren't clubs available. I was talking about the overall spent on 17 years of Messi anyway. It levels out to a bargain, considering we didn't pay a transfer fee.

Handing Messi an inflated contract is no reason to not spend wisely as you said. Messi's contract is no reason to act like a cretin and transfer Coutinho, Griezmann and Dembele for 500M in transfer fees + wages.

Porque

Messi left PSG with Jorge Messi citing he is not convinced with their sporting project. Then signs for bottom place Inter Miami.

All I'm saying is, we gave way to many concessions to Messi. The Tata Martino hire and fire should have been the wake-up call.

Mitchell1978

only problem was that Messi earning so much led to other secondary players being overpaid

but other then that bullshit, Messi deserved every penny taking into account his value to the club and football

JamDav1982

City have never been in for Messi under Pep.. usual nonsense.

So no.. there is no chance City pay him that.

Ronaldo was most marketable player in the world when Juve signed him on much less and it wasnt viable for them in end either and got rid.

khaled_a_d

but other then that bullshit, Messi deserved every penny taking into account his value to the club and football
The thing is, it doesn't.
No board member would dare to say otherwise, because it is Messi, but earning 3 times what CR7 was earning at the time and saying it was deserved doesn't sound logical or warranted to me.

Last edited:

Porque

Messi's insane deal shouldn't have impacted other players. Even if Messi's contract was inflated he was still Messi.

Should have told likes of Alba and others to shut up and take what was offered.

"He makes us more than he earns, do you?"

Should have been the answer.

KingLeo10

Messi in his absolute prime in years like 2011 and 2015 was underpaid relative to his value...he was contributing 90 G+A in those seasons out of the total 160-180 goals we scored...so 50-60% of the entire attacking output of the team.

He was overpaid with that 550 million contract, but as a whole, he was paid fairly. We aren't talking about just anybody here lmao. 1000 G+A with Barca, 4 CL, 10 LL, 7 Ballon D'Or, GOAT

The trolls/ discount accountants here should focus on counting the pennies of the clowns like Braithwaite, Dembele (injured half the time), Coutinho etc etc. :lol:

Messigician

Messi in his absolute prime in years like 2011 and 2015 was underpaid relative to his value...he was contributing 90 G+A in those seasons out of the total 160-180 goals we scored...so 50-60% of the entire attacking output of the team.

He was overpaid with that 550 million contract, but as a whole, he was paid fairly. We aren't talking about just anybody here lmao. 1000 G+A with Barca, 4 CL, 10 LL, 7 Ballon D'Or, GOAT

The trolls/ discount accountants here should focus on counting the pennies of the clowns like Braithwaite, Dembele (injured half the time), Coutinho etc etc. :lol:

We aren't paying those players until 2025 though

CatalinR10

We aren't paying those players until 2025 though

Doesn't matter.

Compared to what he offered to the club from start till the end in his time at Barca , he was underpaid.

Would have no problem with other players having same salary if they put the same performances club and individual wise.

This won't happen as I'm confident enough we will never have such a player in our lifetime.

Messigician

Doesn't matter.

Compared to what he offered to the club from start till the end in his time at Barca , he was underpaid.

Would have no problem with other players having same salary if they put the same performances club and individual wise.

This won't happen as I'm confident enough we will never have such a player in our lifetime.
Pique disagrees

Gerard Piqué: "Barça don't owe me anything. I was going to earn a lot of money in the last year and a half of my contract, but I decided to give it up. It did not make sense for me to ask for that money because it was my decision to leave. I received money for what I played, unlike some other people"

Home of Barca Fans