Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not for my standards of a 'legend'.
By your logic, Pique is also a legend.
The guy who tried to use club's FFP problems for his own personal business profit.

You can make an exception for Messi only because of his impact.
But the rest of the Amigos 100% tainted their historical reputation with what they did to the club the last 5 years.
WC on the pitch on their prime, yes
Legends, no way
Never on the same line as Xavi and Iniesta

Pique is an asshole and was overrated IMO, but yes he's still a club legend.

Messi is a club legend.
Suarez is a club legend.
Busquets is a club legend.

They're that in the book of 99% of Barca fans I'm fairly confident in saying.

No one cares about your standards, this is pure unadulterated hate and it would be better if you were at least honest about that tbh.

Birdy

Pique is an asshole and was overrated IMO, but yes he's still a club legend.

Messi is a club legend.
Suarez is a club legend.
Busquets is a club legend.

They're that in the book of 99% of Barca fans I'm fairly confident in saying.

No one cares about your standards, this is pure unadulterated hate and it would be better if you were at least honest about that tbh.

And I don't care what the book of 99% Barca fans says.
I explained why.
Being WC on the pitch is not enough to be considered a legend.
Pique is the perfect counter-example
Compare him to Pep Puyol Xavi and Iniesta and you see why

Rory

Xavi left for a hefty Qatar contract = integrity, left at 35 I believe.
Iniesta left at similar age.
Puyol hung around at least 2 years too long before retiring.

Reality is Alba has only just now been phased out, and as a result he's now left. Busquets although not brilliant has shown enough to prove he's fine against most of la liga. Messi at this age would be an improvement for g+a on Raphinha and probably Lewa too. Certainly better than they are when he was here 2 years ago.

This is just the nature of club legends, especially those that come from your own academy. Double edged sword, hard to let them go and if they're world class then they stay longer than is probably healthy. Happens all the time.

Birdy

Xavi left for a hefty Qatar contract = integrity, left at 35 I believe.
Iniesta left at similar age.
Puyol hung around at least 2 years too long before retiring.

Reality is Alba has only just now been phased out, and as a result he's now left. Busquets although not brilliant has shown enough to prove he's fine against most of la liga. Messi at this age would be an improvement for g+a on Raphinha and probably Lewa too. Certainly better than they are when he was here 2 years ago.

This is just the nature of club legends, especially those that come from your own academy. Double edged sword, hard to let them go and if they're world class then they stay longer than is probably healthy. Happens all the time.

Didn't happen at other clubs.
Didn't happen at Madrid where Perez ruthlessly kicked out CR, Ramos, Varane, Casemiro despite being legends there and having won everything.

We had this depressing fate because we happened to have an imbecile as president running our club, who gave the power to these leeches to play the legends and humiliate the club

PS: Xavi and Puyol were sitting on the bench for the 1 or 2 years they were past-it, accepting a secondary status, without creating problems. Iniesta left as a starter.

Last edited:

Rory

Didn't happen at other clubs.
Didn't happen at Madrid where Perez ruthlessly kicked out CR, Ramos, Varane, Casemiro despite being legends there and having won everything.

We had this depressing fate because we happened to have an imbecile as president running our club, who gave the power to these leeches to play the legends and humiliate the club

PS: Xavi and Puyol were sitting on the bench for the 1 or 2 years they were past-it, accepting a secondary status, without creating problems. Iniesta left as a starter.
Ronaldo chose to leave, still had years left on contract. Ramos left at 35 after a season of featuring for about 1/3 of the games due to injuries.
Varane was sold for 40m after failing to continue his trajectory of becoming one of the best centre backs in the world. There were better options out there and was right time for move. Casemiro was sold for 70m at age 30. These aren't examples that you can compare to the players I mentioned.

It's extremely common for legends at clubs to play on a year or two after they're a bit past it. No point denying that.

Puyol was injured for 22 games in 12/13 and 15 games in 13/14 but sure it was all because he was just a great guy who accepted his role. Alba has only been a bench player this one season. Has he kicked up a fuss?

We failed to spend our money well in replacing many players over the years. Iniesta was starting partly because of that too. Issue is that we tried to replace Neymar and then couldn't. Tried midfielders that didn't work out too. Can't think off too many left back options that have been worth signing for the last few years that were a big enough upgrade on Alba. Lo and behold we're patient and now we have Balde for free.

Birdy

1.6M is more than they can get anywhere? Are you sure mate?
I doubt interested European clubs (spain italy or lower leagues) can pay more to current Alba or current Busi.
The teams that can pay more (PSG, EPL etc) are not interested in finished players

Let alone that I very much doubt they are getting that amount by Inter Miami

Yes, they could get more in Qatar or Saudi Arabia right now.
I won't give them any medal of honor for opting for less money in a Western summer resort with their buddies

Home of Barca Fans