Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

companyofcules

Messi had more heavy legs and a bigger torso than Maradona so that explains the more conservative moves and maybe even the few acrobatics. But also that made him very balanced so his ball control was a bit smother (given the potato fields are to be taken into account when talking Maradona) but also his ability to play in the box and his survivability against criminal tackles is due to those features. That is a difference not really in style but in body type and genes, Messi is more European than Native American, Maradona was more native American than European. That is really funny especially if you take into account their prime years, Messi shinning in Europe while Maradona for Boca and the national team.

JohnN

I feel this will be the last major trophy he participates in.
Two years is a long time, and his body will probably won't be in a condition to play at high level.

Windhook

39 years of age chasing the WC 2026... I don't know. Cristiano will play into his deep 40's to win it.

Retiring right now would be legendary. I said the same thing after WC 2022 triumph. In Peter Drury's words: "Messi has conquered his final peak".
:messiwc:

KingLeo10

39 years of age chasing the WC 2026... I don't know. Cristiano will play into his deep 40's to win it.

Retiring right now would be legendary. I said the same thing after WC 2022 triumph. In Peter Drury's words: "Messi has conquered his final peak".
:messiwc:
I think so too. But the question becomes if he doesn't play till WC 26, then at what point should he retire. Team needs to gel without him too.

I think it'll happen by the end of this year that he hangs it up.

His touch is still golden but the acceleration and foot speed is just not there - even the GOAT can't hold off time.

soul24rage

I think so too. But the question becomes if he doesn't play till WC 26, then at what point should he retire. Team needs to gel without him too.

I think it'll happen by the end of this year that he hangs it up.

His touch is still golden but the acceleration and foot speed is just not there - even the GOAT can't hold off time.
If he is going to retire, I hope he announce it right after the Copa America final or maybe summer of 2025.

Sept. WCQ will be vs Chile home and vs Colombia away (less than 2 months after the Copa final). Scaloni will need time to plan for these matches with some new young attackers, especially with Di Maria retiring.

Announcing retirement end of the year could also be difficult as well since there's the March WCQ vs Uruguay away and vs Brazil at home and they sure don't want to lose those games even if the team is in good position in the Qualifying table.

Maradona37

The thing is, you don't want him to go on too long and taint his legacy, like certain other players.

It would be amazing for him and Argentina if they successfully defend the World Cup. But what if he goes and is too old and Argentina struggle? People should remember him on top.

It's a balancing act for sure - the potential reward of another World Cup vs the possibility of his final tournament being a failure. Probably better to go out on top, even if he is aging well.

JohnN

I remember Scaloni saying he will also leave the NT once Messi retires. So, WC 26 will be massively different for Argentina.

soul24rage

The thing is, you don't want him to go on too long and taint his legacy, like certain other players.

It would be amazing for him and Argentina if they successfully defend the World Cup. But what if he goes and is too old and Argentina struggle? People should remember him on top.

It's a balancing act for sure - the potential reward of another World Cup vs the possibility of his final tournament being a failure. Probably better to go out on top, even if he is aging well.
Yeah, I guess it really depends on what the odds are that this Argentina side will be the favorites vs the other countries. Obviously, 2 years is a long time and a player could pop up here and there who can make the difference (for example, like Mainoo for England for this Euro).

I'm biased, but I really do think that Argentina will be there as one of the favorites for the WC26 with or without Messi.

Maradona37

Yeah, I guess it really depends on what the odds are that this Argentina side will be the favorites vs the other countries. Obviously, 2 years is a long time and a player could pop up here and there who can make the difference (for example, like Mainoo for England for this Euro).

I'm biased, but I really do think that Argentina will be there as one of the favorites for the WC26 with or without Messi.
I think they will be one of the favourites, especially in North America as opposed to Europe, but it's still stiff competition, and he will be 39 during the tournament.

Totally agree that players could emerge who make a difference to the national team - they weren't unknowns but look how Mac Allister, Fernandez and Alvarez were sub players heading into the last World Cup, and by quite early in the tournament had forced their way into the team as starters and key men. That can happen for Argentina again - or any team in the world to be fair.

JohnN

Argentina is currently riding the wave, but its really rare for a NT to be so good for so long. And Argentina have been great since 2019. Also losing their leader and best player along with Di Maria and Scaloni... It will be really hard to be contenders. Also, time for Spain to reclaim the throne again.

Home of Barca Fans