Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

Birdy

@centregoals
According to a biography written on Pep Guardiola "God Save Pep" by Marti Perarnau, Lionel Messi contacted Pep Guardiola in 2020 about a possible reunion at Man City. In a meeting at Guardiola's home in Barcelona, Guardiola suggested that City might be too challenging for Messi at his age (33 at the time), but Messi disagreed. Despite their conversation, Man City let PSG complete their dramatic move to bring him to the French capital.
(Via "God Save Pep" by Marti Perarnau)

Pep knew very well he was done by 2020, and could not compete at the highest level...

3, 2, 1 before the fanboys come in screaming about the 'world-class' WC '22 he had :lol:

soul24rage

@centregoals
According to a biography written on Pep Guardiola "God Save Pep" by Marti Perarnau, Lionel Messi contacted Pep Guardiola in 2020 about a possible reunion at Man City. In a meeting at Guardiola's home in Barcelona, Guardiola suggested that City might be too challenging for Messi at his age (33 at the time), but Messi disagreed. Despite their conversation, Man City let PSG complete their dramatic move to bring him to the French capital.

Pep knew very well he was done by 2020, and could not compete at the highest level...

3, 2, 1 before the fanboys come in screaming about the 'world-class' WC '22 he had :lol:

CatalinR10

@centregoals

must have the record for the most dumb takes football related on this forum , which is rather shocking considering the amount of trolls in the past years

Birdy

The conversation happened in 2020, when Barto blocked any transfer. The part that 'City let PSG go for him' refers to summer 2021 after renewal fell through, in the few days when Messi was trying to decide next destination. City didn't negotiate for him then because Pep knew he couldn't play at the highest level, as in 2020.

Besides, this is a fan trying to argue against things written by a journalist in a Pep biography, which (biographies from journos) whenever they come out are always authorized by the people they refer to. Biography authorized by Pep himself.
Who do you think is more credible?

soul24rage

The conversation happened in 2020, when Barto blocked any transfer. The part that 'City let PSG go for him' refers to summer 2021 after renewal fell through, in the few days when Messi was trying to decide next destination. City didn't negotiate for him then because Pep knew he couldn't play at the highest level, as in 2020.

Besides, this is a fan trying to argue against things written by a journalist in a Pep biography, which (biographies from journos) whenever they come out are always authorized by the people they refer to. Biography authorized by Pep himself.
Who do you think is more credible?
A couple of things

- I read the book written by Marti and no where does it mention that City might be too challenging for him. After the Champions League defeat against Lyon in 2020, Pep thought that the team needed a huge catalyst and thought Messi would help. Pep met with Messi in the summer of 2020, but the transfer couldn't be made because a transfer fee needed to be paid and Barto didn't want to let him go.

- In summer 2021, when Messi knew that Barcelona can't keep him, City had already signed Grealish for huge amount of money. As you probably know, these negotiation takes time, especially with a player like Messi even though he's a free transfer. PSG at the time already had the contract pretty much done as they were after him for a time and Messi needed a club asap.

The context of what I and the person who I tweeted is based on is the Biography written by Guillem Balague who also has a great relationship with Pep. The timeline of the tweet made by centregoal doesn't make sense at all.

Birdy

A couple of things

- I read the book written by Marti and no where does it mention that City might be too challenging for him. After the Champions League defeat against Lyon in 2020, Pep thought that the team needed a huge catalyst and thought Messi would help. Pep met with Messi in the summer of 2020, but the transfer couldn't be made because a transfer fee needed to be paid and Barto didn't want to let him go.

- In summer 2021, when Messi knew that Barcelona can't keep him, City had already signed Grealish for huge amount of money. As you probably know, these negotiation takes time, especially with a player like Messi even though he's a free transfer. PSG at the time already had the contract pretty much done as they were after him for a time and Messi needed a club asap.

The context of what I and the person who I tweeted is based on is the Biography written by Guillem Balague who also has a great relationship with Pep. The timeline of the tweet made by centregoal doesn't make sense at all.

Sorry I didn't get this: you read Balague's biography or Pernanau's biography? Each might be giving a different version of truth

soul24rage

Sorry I didn't get this: you read Balague's biography or Pernanau's biography? Each might be giving a different version of truth
I read both. The centregoal tweet mentioned this "Guardiola suggested that City might be too challenging for Messi at his age" and I haven't seen that in Martin Perarnau's book.

Unless the book has been updated, which I doubt, the more accurate version would be what is written in the link below

Birdy

I read both. The centregoal tweet mentioned this "Guardiola suggested that City might be too challenging for Messi at his age" and I haven't seen that in Martin Perarnau's book.

Unless the book has been updated, which I doubt, the more accurate version would be what is written in the link below

The link also mentions Pep's worries expressed to Messi in that meeting:

'a dialogue about the demanding nature of football at the club.
... with Guardiola outlining the rigorous training and tactical discussions at Manchester City. Messi, undeterred, affirmed his readiness to endure and adapt, emphasizing their evolved maturity.
"In Manchester we train very hard..." Guardiola messaged Messi.
"I will train hard, I'm not worried," Messi replied.
"I'll put up with whatever you do."'

The language here is more soft, but the spirit is the same, it basically says Pep had reservations if Messi could cope with the demanding physical and tactical nature of his football in 2020 EPL

soul24rage

The link also mentions Pep's worries expressed to Messi in that meeting:

'a dialogue about the demanding nature of football at the club.
... with Guardiola outlining the rigorous training and tactical discussions at Manchester City. Messi, undeterred, affirmed his readiness to endure and adapt, emphasizing their evolved maturity.
"In Manchester we train very hard..." Guardiola messaged Messi.
"I will train hard, I'm not worried," Messi replied.
"I'll put up with whatever you do."'

The language here is more soft, but the spirit is the same, it basically says Pep had reservations if Messi could cope with the demanding physical and tactical nature of his football in 2020 EPL
After the end of that conversation, Pep wants Messi in his team, which basically means Pep thinks he can compete at the highest level.

Both version of Balague's and Pernanau's confirms that.

Birdy

After the end of that conversation, Pep wants Messi in his team, which basically means Pep thinks he can compete at the highest level.

Both version of Balague's and Pernanau's confirms that.

So both versions agree on the fact that Pep expressed these reservations, but in the end agreed to try for transferring Messi in?
Even then, the first part (that he had reservations) is important

KingLeo10

Pep waxes lyrical about this guy like he doesn't for anyone else. Of course, everyone declines but Guardiola loves him some Messi - it's indisputable :lol:

Home of Barca Fans