Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are also set to win the league after not winning it for 3 years and coming 3rd in his last season with us here.

Equally PSG have been 16'd twice since he went there.

He's not worth the money or squad role you have to concede for him, and the playstyle changes we'll have to make. We play with much higher intensity and pressing now and are seeing results for it.
Lol PSG have been 16?d twice we were grouped twice since messi left

Birdy

https://theathletic.com/4290849/2023/03/09/lionel-messi-psg-champions-league-failure/
Piece by Michael Cox

Selection of quotes:
- "At 35 years old, he doesn’t have the capacity to offer his team anything without possession"
- "this team weren’t previously short of goals or assists; they were short of energy and tactical discipline. They didn’t really need Messi, the same way
Manchester United didn’t need Cristiano Ronaldo when he went back to Old Trafford at a similar time"
- "when his side are struggling, he does tend to drift too far from goal. This has been an issue over the years for Barcelona, Argentina and now PSG"
- "at times, Messi makes life difficult for his team-mates. .. Sometimes, Messi needs to trust the ability of his team-mates in possession and concentrate on receiving the ball from them where he can do damage"
- "PSG had made progress at European level in the seasons before Messi’s arrival. After seven years where they failed to make the Champions League semi-finals, they got to the final in 2019-20 and the semis in 2020-21. Now, they’ve been eliminated twice in a row from the round of 16. They’ve gone backwards with Messi"
- "Messi may yet stay in Paris for another season, as PSG might be the only European club who can meet his wage requirements. If not, it will be difficult to remember much from his two years in Paris."

soul24rage

https://theathletic.com/4290849/2023/03/09/lionel-messi-psg-champions-league-failure/
Piece by Michael Cox

Selection of quotes:
- "At 35 years old, he doesn’t have the capacity to offer his team anything without possession" Agreed, at his age, a team needs to be built around him and that is never going to happen with Mbappe in the team
- "this team weren’t previously short of goals or assists; they were short of energy and tactical discipline. They didn’t really need Messi, the same way Manchester United didn’t need Cristiano Ronaldo when he went back to Old Trafford at a similar time" True, PSG weren't short of goals or assists, but I'd say poor recruitment with not much thought process has been an issue as well.
- "when his side are struggling, he does tend to drift too far from goal. This has been an issue over the years for Barcelona, Argentina and now PSG" Agreed, which I think says a lot of the midfielders who can't bring the ball to the final third.
- "at times, Messi makes life difficult for his team-mates. .. Sometimes, Messi needs to trust the ability of his team-mates in possession and concentrate on receiving the ball from them where he can do damage" I'd say it's also because of the midfielders can't bring the ball to the final third, which makes it difficult
- "PSG had made progress at European level in the seasons before Messi’s arrival. After seven years where they failed to make the Champions League semi-finals, they got to the final in 2019-20 and the semis in 2020-21. Now, they’ve been eliminated twice in a row from the round of 16. They’ve gone backwards with Messi" Think this is nitpicky at best, Messi is one of the problem, but this statement is too targeted..
- "Messi may yet stay in Paris for another season, as PSG might be the only European club who can meet his wage requirements. If not, it will be difficult to remember much from his two years in Paris."Agreed, Messi's time at PSG has not been a success at all

Would love this read this article if I didn't had to pay for it, but my thoughts added.

fergus90

Piece by Michael Cox

Selection of quotes:
- "At 35 years old, he doesn’t have the capacity to offer his team anything without possession"
- "this team weren’t previously short of goals or assists; they were short of energy and tactical discipline. They didn’t really need Messi, the same way
Manchester United didn’t need Cristiano Ronaldo when he went back to Old Trafford at a similar time"
- "when his side are struggling, he does tend to drift too far from goal. This has been an issue over the years for Barcelona, Argentina and now PSG"
- "at times, Messi makes life difficult for his team-mates. .. Sometimes, Messi needs to trust the ability of his team-mates in possession and concentrate on receiving the ball from them where he can do damage"
- "PSG had made progress at European level in the seasons before Messi’s arrival. After seven years where they failed to make the Champions League semi-finals, they got to the final in 2019-20 and the semis in 2020-21. Now, they’ve been eliminated twice in a row from the round of 16. They’ve gone backwards with Messi"
- "Messi may yet stay in Paris for another season, as PSG might be the only European club who can meet his wage requirements. If not, it will be difficult to remember much from his two years in Paris."

Mbappe also has to do much more off the ball too especially given he's only 24. Think of all the great teams in the last 15 years or so, Pep's Barca regarded as the greatest or one of the greatest teams ever, ran like maniacs to press and retrieve the ball in 6 seconds, and we never saw possession south of 70%!

Absolutely impossible to play with 9 men unless you're hoping to win every game 5-4.

jamrock

The article is summed up in it's title.

NOBODY Cares!! The 🐐 is the 🐐, remains the 🐐 & will be the 🐐 until come on takes it off him.

🐐🐐Yaaaaaaakkk

serghei

He's finished in CL and he's basically cruising now after he completed his legacy by winning the WC with his national team.

Nothing surprising. We should just be smart and let him go to Inter Miami, Al Ittihad or whatever.

Messigician

🔸 As of today, it is very difficult for Messi to renew his contract with PSG.

🔸 Although it is not made public, the desire of Messi and his family is to return to Barcelona, but Bar?a has not yet moved. These are big decisions, so everything can change.

[ESPN]

MagIX

The article is summed up in it's title.

NOBODY Cares!! The 🐐 is the 🐐, remains the 🐐 & will be the 🐐 until come on takes it off him.

🐐🐐Yaaaaaaakkk

:thumbsup: nobody give a fucking shit

The only thing I will remember about PSG/Paris is that it was good training/preparation for the World Cup
and that in Paris he was crowned Fifa World Best Player once again.
Well done Leo!

Stop. End. Chapiter closed: GOAT
Of the rest nobody gives a shit anymore

Here are the things we remember from the last 2 glorious years:

messi copa america.jpg

messi wc 2022.jpg

messi fifa 2022 eeeeee.jpg

I hope he doesn't extend with PSG and retire.
Or playing in Argentina 1 year (Newell's Old Boys) and play the Copa America, then retire.

soul24rage

I hope he doesn't extend with PSG and retire.
Or playing in Argentina 1 year (Newell's Old Boys) and play the Copa America, then retire.

I think he's mostly likely going to renew with PSG.

Mostly due to wanting to stay in Europe for at least one more year and Barca still having trouble registering players.

KingLeo10

I do think he should retire from the spotlight and chill at some club in MLS

There's nothing to gain for his reputation/legacy with a PSG stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans