Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickstar

Ronaldo hope of winning bdor is finish once mbappe, haaland etc reach their peak. Even messi's.

Come on it's not like everyone can be zlatan or that quagliarella guy, even if one could, like ronaldo now, there would be young talents now reaching their peak. Even lewa would fade in the matter of 2-3 years.

Messi still top 2 in bdor contention at 34. That's already magnificent. Maybe not next year, unless argie win the wc. But i guess since the wc will be on winter so it also wouldn't happen. 2023? Too far, but if argie could win wc where he again played the major role, and he play at least decent in psg, it could still happening.

F1_STK

📰 [TV3] | Leo Messi could come back to Barcelona already after the 2022 World Cup.

The Argentine's current deal with Paris Saint-Germain provides this opportunity.

Messi's family are said to be having problems adapting to life in France. This is particularly true for Leo's oldest son Thiago.

TheStig

We should move on as a club with these youngsters but the idea of Messi saying goodbye to Camp Nou and reciving applause of all the fans in La liga is also not a bad idea. If he would take a step back in his last (half)season and play only some games and some of the bench ok, otherwise no.

FC B

Let's be honest Messi doesn't deserve to win Ballon d'Or.

Lewandowski was better then Messi in the Calendar year. Messi didn't perform against 1 big club and his best Performance was against Ecuador

This award isn't necessarily given on who deserves it more, just look at Cristiano with 5 awards while he didn't deserve more than 2.

KingLeo10

I think the Ballon D'Or should be about individual achievement (stats plus trophies)...yes, the award doesn't make sense in a team sport, but if we are to have it, it can't simply be "who was the best player/second best/third best player on a CL winning team" that it's turned into lately.

Birdy

His stats were better

Nope.
We didn't have xStats back then
I bet his conversion rate was so and so, took advantage of the well-oiled machine RM was in creating chances to pad his goals
Plus, RM didn't win anything in 2013

No excuse
Despicable award

KingLeo10

My Ballon D'Or winners from 08 would be:

08 - CR7
09 - Messi
10 - Messi
11 - Messi
12 - Messi
13 - CR7
14 - CR7
15 - Messi
16 - Suarez (58 goal season + domestic double)
17 - CR7
18 - Modric/CR7
19 - Messi
20 - Lewandowski
21 - Lewandowski/Messi

So not all THAT different from now.

Note, that this is different from who's the best player in the world in a given year. Messi probably held that every year from 2008-2019 except for 2013 and 2017 when I thought CR7 was.

If we emphasize "value" to the team, which is very hard to quantify for non-attackers, then guys like Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, Sneidjer, VVD, Ramos become much bigger factors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans