Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingLeo10

Corrected it!

If we're looking at value to the team, I wouldn't really argue against your list. Minus Jorginho lol. I think Lewa wins it both years clear cut.

It's different definitions...and it doesn't help when the guys handing out the awards themselves don't know. As in awarding Modric one year and prioritizing team value when other years prioritizing Messi and CR7 etc.

Birdy

The most unfair awards have been 2013 and 2018 IMO
Scandalous awards

2016 is close in neglecting Suarez, but not yet at the level of 2013 and 2018

Fati_Future_BallonDor

The most unfair awards have been 2013 and 2018 IMO
Scandalous awards

2016 is close in neglecting Suarez, but not yet at the level of 2013 and 2018

interesting interesting, imo 2013 was (clearly) Ronaldo who was banging goals like lewa did this year but having a weaker team. I dont say Ribery didnt deserve it but the trophies were more a team performance, i dont think he stood out, probably more Robben. In 2016 i would have also given the ballon dor to suarez.

Mitchell1978

My Ballon D'Or winners from 08 would be:

08 - CR7
09 - Messi
10 - Messi
11 - Messi
12 - Messi
13 - CR7
14 - CR7
15 - Messi
16 - Suarez (58 goal season + domestic double)
17 - CR7
18 - Modric/CR7
19 - Messi
20 - Lewandowski
21 - Lewandowski/Messi

So not all THAT different from now.

Note, that this is different from who's the best player in the world in a given year. Messi probably held that every year from 2008-2019 except for 2013 and 2017 when I thought CR7 was.

If we emphasize "value" to the team, which is very hard to quantify for non-attackers, then guys like Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, Sneidjer, VVD, Ramos become much bigger factors.

imo trophies like the Ballon d'Or should be given after a season and not 3 months into the next season

if that was the case Messi probably wins 5 straight from 2008/09 till 2012/13 and again in 2014/15, 2018/19 and maybe 2020/21

Morten

imo trophies like the Ballon d'Or should be given after a season and not 3 months into the next season

if that was the case Messi probably wins 5 straight from 2008/09 till 2012/13 and again in 2014/15, 2018/19 and maybe 2020/21

It should be at the end of the season, calendar year is stupid.

Also, they don't even commit to calendar year either, as they end voting like 2 months before the year end, this 10 month-span for Ballon Dor has never made any sense.

OGbarca

Banned
My Ballon D'Or winners from 08 would be:

08 - CR7
09 - Messi
10 - Messi
11 - Messi
12 - Messi
13 - CR7
14 - CR7
15 - Messi
16 - Suarez (58 goal season + domestic double)
17 - CR7
18 - Modric/CR7
19 - Messi
20 - Lewandowski
21 - Lewandowski/Messi

So not all THAT different from now.

Note, that this is different from who's the best player in the world in a given year. Messi probably held that every year from 2008-2019 except for 2013 and 2017 when I thought CR7 was.

If we emphasize "value" to the team, which is very hard to quantify for non-attackers, then guys like Xavi, Iniesta, Modric, Sneidjer, VVD, Ramos become much bigger factors.

this is a pretty good list tbh :lol: i dont disagree w any of it :p except with 10, which should have been xavi or iniesta's

if the award was ever won by two people of equal merit, it was that year

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
CR7 won 2013 because FIFA re-opened the vote after Real Madrid and his entourage went crazy because Blatter called him for a commander or some shit. That Sweden performance was so hyped it's crazy. That Swedish NT wasn't even that good.

KingLeo10

this is a pretty good list tbh :lol: i dont disagree w any of it :p except with 10, which should have been xavi or iniesta's

if the award was ever won by two people of equal merit, it was that year

Agree. I actually thought hard about 2010. Xavi and Iniesta were definitely more influential than Messi that year, but that was the year Messi's equalled R9's record of 47 goals in a season (which back then was a big deal because Messi and CR7 hadn't started banging in 50 goals a season yet).

I would say Xavi - Iniesta were the more accomplished and influential players in 2010 while Messi was the best player on the planet in 2010. So, the award can easily have gone to the magician duo if France football actually had a consistent/clear criteria.

Rassvet

Zbigniew Bunic (Former Polish player and UEFA Vice-President)

“If Messi wins the Ballon d’Or, it means that it is out of the hands of the France Football team. The best player who deserves to win will not win. Only the most famous player in the world will win. This year Messi does not deserve the award at all.”

Messigician

Zbigniew Bunic (Former Polish player and UEFA Vice-President)

?If Messi wins the Ballon d?Or, it means that it is out of the hands of the France Football team. The best player who deserves to win will not win. Only the most famous player in the world will win. This year Messi does not deserve the award at all.?

Lewa and him now both salty lmfao

OGbarca

Banned
its not an implausible view. today and this year both lewa and benz are playing better than messi. especially lewa; he has been, for 2 years now.

serghei

Corrected it!

You can say that again brother.

Messi and Ronaldo stacked too many Ballon d'Ors based on their popularity. No doubt the best players of their generation, but no way in hell they should be on 5-4 and likes of Xavi and Iniesta on 0. That's hilarious.

Xavi and Iniesta dominated football on club level AND national team level for a good 6 years and they have 0 BD to show for it :lol:? It's a joke award.

Xavi 1, Iniesta 1, Messi 3 (4 at a push), Ronaldo 3. About right.

You can't take an award like that seriously, simply because there is a tremendous bias for the guys that score the goals.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

You can say that again brother.

Messi and Ronaldo stacked too many Ballon d'Ors based on their popularity. No doubt the best players of their generation, but no way in hell they should be on 5-4 and likes of Xavi and Iniesta on 0. That's hilarious.

Xavi and Iniesta dominated football on club level AND national team level for a good 6 years and they have 0 BD to show for it :lol:? It's a joke award.

Xavi 1, Iniesta 1, Messi 3 (4 at a push), Ronaldo 3. About right.

You can't take an award like that seriously, simply because there is a tremendous bias for the guys that score the goals.

Modric winning one but not Xavi Iniesta is one of the great mysteries of our time.

It's like I said. They don't know the criteria themselves. Is it just stats? Is it stats + trophies? Is it influence/dominance (Xavi/Iniesta)? Is it just the "best player" of CL winning team (aka Robbery argument for 2013).

Fati_Future_BallonDor

It's like I said. They don't know the criteria themselves. Is it just stats? Is it stats + trophies? Is it influence/dominance (Xavi/Iniesta)? Is it just the "best player" of CL winning team (aka Robbery argument for 2013).

Basically this. Nobody know the criteria. 2018 Modric was the peak of joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans