Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I don't keep track of the years in my mind, but I thought Messi should've won before Kaka in 2007, and I believe he should've won pretty much every year since then. The last 5 years or so I guess there could be an argument some of the years, he was pretty poor last fall for example, but I still believe he was clearly the best in the world by a margin over most calendar years.

It would've been cool if this was his 15th Balloon Door :)

Messi in 2007 was really good, fastest Messi ever and probably the fastest player with ball who have ever played football but diffiuclt though as kaka had also a fantastic year and won the UCL.

khaled_a_d

Hard truth this one for all the fanboys to swallow...

Nah, everyone knew it.
It is always a question about timing, and if it wasn't for financial crisis it was an awful timing sporting wise.
Team has no marketable star, no player to score or even create chance, mediocre squad that will struggle to make it to CL.
If we enter a cycle of mediocrity because of it, it will be even worse.
Rebuilding atm will be hard as it gets, we will have to pray that Xavi is a genius of a coach because otherwise this team is in for a at least 2 more rebuilding years before starting to get trophies.

Birdy

Nah, everyone knew it.
It is always a question about timing, and if it wasn't for financial crisis it was an awful timing sporting wise.
Team has no marketable star, no player to score or even create chance, mediocre squad that will struggle to make it to CL.
If we enter a cycle of mediocrity because of it, it will be even worse.
Rebuilding atm will be hard as it gets, we will have to pray that Xavi is a genius of a coach because otherwise this team is in for a at least 2 more rebuilding years before starting to get trophies.

I don't think so.
Many here think that there can be a rebuilding including Messi in the team. That's precisely what I disagree with.
Rebuilding starts with Messi gone, that's what that executive explicitly said.
Messi should have left in 2019, along with the rest of the old guard.
Some, of course, can be phased out by starting from the bench and play a minimal role. Messi couldn't do that, he would never accept it.

Messigician

I don't think so.
Many here think that there can be a rebuilding including Messi in the team. That's precisely what I disagree with.
Rebuilding starts with Messi gone, that's what that executive explicitly said.
Messi should have left in 2019, along with the rest of the old guard.
Some, of course, can be phased out by starting from the bench and play a minimal role. Messi couldn't do that, he would never accept it.
What executive he's a guarantor lol

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I believe Khaled's point is that we lost our best player when we had no money to sign someone who could offset some of his contribution. We still haven't signed a new main shirt sponsorship deal because we lost our most marketable star, one of the biggest athletes and names in the world. We'll get one eventually soon, but it's probably been much tougher to pull off, or at least get a deal where the club isn't getting lowballed too much.

It's not about whether we could rebuild with Messi. It's about the timing. If Messi had left when the club was in a stable position able to sign some very good players to rebuild, have a stable coach, a stable environment, we likely wouldn't be struggling to get out of our CL group and make top four in the league.

DonAK

Jose Elias using Messi's age as a reason to move on from him is funny when the club just signed a 38 year old Dani Alves who last played in Brazil.

At least be consistent.

Birdy

Jose Elias using Messi's age as a reason to move on from him is funny when the club just signed a 38 year old Dani Alves who last played in Brazil.

At least be consistent.

Irrelevant
It's not about age, it's about status, power, and hierarchy
Dani does n't have and never had the same stature in the team compared to Messi.
He cannot even demand to be a starter, let alone have all that power

DonAK

Irrelevant
Dani does n't have and never had the same stature in the team compared to Messi.

That's not what you said when Alves' signing was finalized and official ;)

serghei

Irrelevant

It's also about age. If Messi was 23, we would all turn a blind eye to his shenanigans and do whatever it takes to please him. It's all about cost vs benefit ratio. Current Messi costs more and brings more issues than he's worth IMO. Especially for a team in reconstruction.

DonAK

It's also about age. If Messi was 23, we would all turn a blind eye to his shenanigans and do whatever it takes to please him. It's all about cost vs benefit ratio. Current Messi costs more and brings more issues than he's worth IMO. Especially for a team in reconstruction.

You cannot rebuild a team if you cannot get to the CL given how hard that will hit the club financially. We don't exactly have any rich owners to bail us out to compensate for that big loss in income.

Sure having to build your team around a 34 year old Messi is not ideal when you're trying to rebuild, but that's literally not the point here.

It's about how it would have been better for Messi to move on when we could offset the loss in goals, assists and creativity he brings which we're currently not able to do.

Last edited:

serghei

It's about how it would have been better for Messi to move on when we could offset the loss in goals, assists and creativity he brings which we're currently not able to do.

Of course, but let's see how we do here with a new manager and players soon coming back from injury.

Jadentheman

You cannot rebuild a team if you cannot get to the CL given how hard that will hit the club financially. We don't exactly have any rich owners to bail us out to compensate for that big loss in income.

Sure having to build your team around a 34 year old Messi is not ideal when you're trying to rebuild, but that's literally not the point here.

Even though players like Coutinho and Dembele were suppose to fill in that void. Makes you realize how much of flops they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans