Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
nah Liverpool deserved the win. Great team. Insufferable fans though.

Can any Brits explain why?

They mostly sucked for 30 years so an inferiority complex must have creeped in. Now overcompensating by being insufferable whenever they win something, which isn't often still tbf.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
People who thought he was the best in the world last season had a case. That is why such a huge downfall is a surprise.
I just never thought him having an amazing season this season was all that likely. All obvious decline as a footballer aside, I think this being his first move of club and country of his career, and an unexpected, hasty one at that, was a bigger thing for him than it would have been for other players, him being a very secluded/sensitive/almost autistic, creature-of-habit personality that was used to having everything on and off the pitch fitted to him and him mainly, with familiar surroundings, family always close, amigos at club and country level. I don't think his personality makes it easy for him to adapt to something new (on and off the field). Which can be criticised in itself, of course, for a top-level professional athlete.

Mix that with obvious physical decline and receding involvement/interest in games (which was evident before), loss of speed, coming back from the copa summer and PSG just not being a team with either a good system or a system fitted to him (like Barca), it just never seemed likely to me that he'd hit the ground running and challenge Mbapp? for best player in the team.

That doesn't mean he hasn't obviously declined as a player, and hugely too compared with his peak. But he doesn't seem worse to me than early last season, and mixed with the above I don't find his form surprising. I do think he'd have performed better here. At least his decline would have been less sad to see.

Either way time will tell whether he's 'finished' or not, but I get how people want to draw those conclusions from competition-ending games like this one.

Last edited:

Rassvet

Even Lewa said in an interview Messi style won't age well. Not that it hasn't worked but at this age its becoming very hard.

Lewa seems to know what he is doing.

He said that Messi's style wouldn't allow him to age well in terms of scoring which looks true. Think he could still score for Barcelona against weaker teams but his goalscoring threat for PSG and even for Argentina against non Bolivian teams in recent years has been very poor.

The boys will say that it doesn't matter because he plays deeper and is a playmaker but he doesn't defend, move off the ball, or do any of the other stuff that an AM does.

FinBarcelonafan

He said that Messi's style wouldn't allow him to age well in terms of scoring which looks true. Think he could still score for Barcelona against weaker teams but his goalscoring threat for PSG and even for Argentina against non Bolivian teams in recent years has been very poor.

The boys will say that it doesn't matter because he plays deeper and is a playmaker but he doesn't defend, move off the ball, or do any of the other stuff that an AM does.

True true and from midfield he makes moves too slowly. Old school football in general.

Messigician

🚨🚨| Al-Khelaifi has thrown hands at the referees in the locker room. [MENTION=1641]MariO[/MENTION]Cortegana

Stunning!

How can u assault referees

Messigician

Breaking!

Pionel Pessi has been exposed as the mastermind behind the attack on Real Madrid's staff and the champions league referees. He did not want to confront them himself so he got his go on squad to do it for him.

Shame on you Pessi

BBZ8800

Their decline was slower and lasted longer.

This guy went from goat to woat in a single year. Bbz prophetically called it but it was premature back then.

It was a simple and logical bet from me.

1. Messi never looked like a gym-freak who will be able to run in late 30s like Cr7 or Zlatan.
I am surprised that he even lasted this long.
2. mentality wise, he was again weaker than guys who managed to play in the late 30s like Cr7 or Zlatan.
3. his football style is tricky and it was bound to suffer a lot since he drops deep and relies on pace, agility and dribbles, which are gone in the 30s, especially considering that he is a not a gym-freak.
4. his decline in the last few years was huge, so it was expected that it will continue, even in the faster manner due to the age and due to him winning everything and being mentally more or less empty and not THAT interested.

The start of the last season looked like a Game over for him.
But he somehow pulled a very good 2nd part of a season.
Some people thought that it was a proof how he will stay on top for years to come, but it was just his "final dance" or "the swan song".
Something similar to how we had a dying team from 2012-2020, but that team managed to fool us once and pull a swan song in 2015, where we thought that we have a future, while it was the last dance from a team which lasted a few Months in the 2nd part of 2014/15 (the same as Messi's final show in the 2nd part of a season).

Currently, I am sad that a lot of us (me included) were harsh on Messi in his final years here.
In my case, I was more pissed with fans hyping him too much (like: he will be able to play until the age of 40 due to his technique, he can win a WC 2022 etc) than at actual Messi. (For me, the same is my hate towards Pep/Barca DNA etc. I never disliked Pep before coming to this forum. But after reading the levels of overhype towards everything which Pep touched or did, I was "forced" into the biggest Pep hater. I don't know why, I get triggered by these situations when imo someone is overhyped/overrated to insane levels).

Anyway, regarding Messi, this is the end.
Not because he is bad or anything, but because (as explained above)
1. he is almost 35. Rememeber where Ronnie, R9 or Rivaldo were in that age?
2. his style of play can't survive in the late 30s. And he surely won't turn into a poacher because he wants the ball all the time and his off the ball movement for a poacher is very bad.
3. he is physically and mentally drained after playing since 2005 for us on a top level with 50-60 matches per season. And again, he is not a gym-freak, so all he will be able to offer from now on will be: a walking granny type of football.

Thanks for everything, but he is on a verge of a retirement.

ajnotkeith

It was a simple and logical bet from me.

1. Messi never looked like a gym-freak who will be able to run in late 30s like Cr7 or Zlatan.
I am surprised that he even lasted this long.
2. mentality wise, he was again weaker than guys who managed to play in the late 30s like Cr7 or Zlatan.
3. his football style is tricky and it was bound to suffer a lot since he drops deep and relies on pace, agility and dribbles, which are gone in the 30s, especially considering that he is a not a gym-freak.
4. his decline in the last few years was huge, so it was expected that it will continue, even in the faster manner due to the age and due to him winning everything and being mentally more or less empty and not THAT interested.

The start of the last season looked like a Game over for him.
But he somehow pulled a very good 2nd part of a season.
Some people thought that it was a proof how he will stay on top for years to come, but it was just his "final dance" or "the swan song".
Something similar to how we had a dying team from 2012-2020, but that team managed to fool us once and pull a swan song in 2015, where we thought that we have a future, while it was the last dance from a team which lasted a few Months in the 2nd part of 2014/15 (the same as Messi's final show in the 2nd part of a season).

Currently, I am sad that a lot of us (me included) were harsh on Messi in his final years here.
In my case, I was more pissed with fans hyping him too much (like: he will be able to play until the age of 40 due to his technique, he can win a WC 2022 etc) than at actual Messi. (For me, the same is my hate towards Pep/Barca DNA etc. I never disliked Pep before coming to this forum. But after reading the levels of overhype towards everything which Pep touched or did, I was "forced" into the biggest Pep hater. I don't know why, I get triggered by these situations when imo someone is overhyped/overrated to insane levels).

Anyway, regarding Messi, this is the end.
Not because he is bad or anything, but because (as explained above)
1. he is almost 35. Rememeber where Ronnie, R9 or Rivaldo were in that age?
2. his style of play can't survive in the late 30s. And he surely won't turn into a poacher because he wants the ball all the time and his off the ball movement for a poacher is very bad.
3. he is physically and mentally drained after playing since 2005 for us on a top level with 50-60 matches per season. And again, he is not a gym-freak, so all he will be able to offer from now on will be: a walking granny type of football.

Thanks for everything, but he is on a verge of a retirement.

Great analysis from BBZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans