Luis Enrique

Mido

It really is frustrating that all three players who Lucho could call on to replace Messi are unavailable atm. That's why I think Lucho should maybe play around with a different shape while Messi is gone to make up for the creativity void we are going to have with him gone. I have two shapes/line-ups in mind:

[formation=barca,6]
Ter Stegen/Bravo
0-0-0-Mascherano-0-0-0
0-Piqué-0-0-0-Mathieu-0
Alves-0-Raki-0-Busi-0-Alba
0-0-0-Iniesta-0-0-0
0-Suarez-0-0-0-Neymar-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

We need to play more direct and for me, the key is going to be Iniesta. His creative spark is going to be needed more in the final third and unfortunately, we don't have anyone else who can be a 10 nearly as well as Messi and Iniesta atm. The current 4-3-3 has Iniesta deeper for more control with Messi being the playmaker in the final third, so this formation makes it easier for Iniesta to have more freedom.

A 4-4-2 diamond could do similar with a more conventional defensive shape but it would lack a bit of width:

[formation=barca,6]
Ter Stegen/Bravo
0-0-Piqué-0-Mathieu/Bartra-0-0
Alves-0-0-Mascherano-0-0-Alba
0-Raki-0-0-0-Busi-0
0-0-0-Iniesta-0-0-0
0-Suarez-0-0-0-Neymar-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

Our rotation team keeps the 4-3-3

[formation=barca,6]
Ter Stegen
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-Bartra-0-Mascherano-0-0
Roberto-0-0-Busi-0-0-Alba
0-0-Raki-0-Iniesta-0-0
0-Munir-0-0-0-Neymar-0
0-0-0-Suarez/Sandro-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

I'm just concerned we will lack creativity with Messi gone in our current setup and some new shapes, I think, would help the team a lot during Messi's absence. Getting Iniesta forward with less defensive work will make it much easier for him and the team offensively.

Very knowledgeable post

hardyboy

Barcelona training started half an hour later than planned this morning as Luis Enrique had a tactical chat with the players. [md]

Stric

-----Neymar----Suarez-------
-----------Rakitić--------------
--Iniesta----------Alves------
--------Busquets-----------

That's what I'd try.

Or with Iniesta and Rakitić the other way around.

Last edited:

dostoevskij

that would be superb, because honestly you cant send Sergi Roberto to the bench after the way he performed in the last games!!!

Mido

-----Neymar----Suarez-------
-----------Rakitić--------------
--Iniesta----------Alves------
--------Busquets-----------

That's what I'd try.

Or with Iniesta and Rakitić the other way around.

Alves as a " half RCM/ half RM" is very interesting. Anyway, under Lucho CMs are expected to play as lateral midfielders and DMs at the same time as strange as it seems.

My only concern is that Alves might be some times a little bit undisciplined. But when he's on his A-game he plays exceptionally well !

BigBarcaBoy

He can't rely on Munir and Alves and always play in the classical 4-3-3 system. To compensate Messi's injury and bring the energy he brings he'd need at least two players : - one to control the pace of our attacks and another that can break down our opponent's (left) flank. Since we don't have Xavi nor Pedro to implement these ideas I expect Barcelona to play a more "center-oriented" game with formations similar to false 4-4-2 or even a 5-3-2.

Alves is an excellent player but his style is complentary to Messi's but certainly not replaceable. He brings a different kind of energy.

I expect Barca to play a little bit like under Tata Martino : a slow-paced build-up relying on a dense midfield.

If Lucho wants to stick with the classical 4-3-3 he#ll have to suffer a tremendous loss of quality and I think he knows it a lot better than us.

If Lucho switches to another system, or at least adjusts the 4-3-3, the team would have t oget accustomed to a new styl but the loss in terms of quality would be less concerning.

Since we have Mathieu, Mascherano, Piqué, Vermaelen and Bartra, I would really like to see how Barca would play in a very offensive 5-3-2 system with either Mascherano or Piqué joining the attack. We'll certainly have less possession and suffer more against big teams but our defense would a lot more solid.

I don't dispute that lucho maybe could try something different but he said that the team will play the same way

xXKonan

Luis Enrique: "Messi is irreplaceable. It's a big challenge to play without our best player. Our style won't change though."

Luis Enrique: "Changing system? We are looking into that every week. Neymar needs to take a step forward? No, he needs to do the same."

Luis Enrique: "Adriano? Didn't train today because he had some discomfort at end of game on Saturday. We hope he's available tomorrow."

Luis Enrique: "Bravo and Alba trained normally and in principle they are available for the game tomorrow, we'l see

Luis Enrique: "Leo had tests yesterday, he looked fine, cheerful. He's already two days closer to his comeback.

Luis Enrique: "Bravo could play tomorrow? He has been training for two days. Before he can play, he should first get into the match squad."

Luis Enrique: "Neymar could play as striker? It's an option. He already played there some games with his national team. Not ruled out."

D10S_JC

[MENTION=11490]FCBarcelona[/MENTION]Fl: With Messi injured, Luis Enrique is studying the option of changing the 4-3-3 system for a 4-4-2 system with Neymar and Suarez up front [md]

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
[MENTION=11490]FCBarcelona[/MENTION]Fl: With Messi injured, Luis Enrique is studying the option of changing the 4-3-3 system for a 4-4-2 system with Neymar and Suarez up front [md]

Yeah that makes sense, we would have Roberto-Busi-Raki-Iniesta midfield then I guess, it could take time for players to adapt this formation though.

gatsu

Like we have been saying, without Messi a tactical change is inevitable.

If we want someone to replicate Messi's role, Neymar is the closest, the brazilian can play like with the national squad, thus having more freedom.

i_bleed_blaugrana

[formation=barca,6]
Ter Stegen/Bravo
0-0-Piqué-0-Mathieu/Bartra-0-0
Alves-0-0-Mascherano-0-0-Alba
0-Raki-0-0-0-Busi-0
0-0-0-Iniesta-0-0-0
0-Suarez-0-0-0-Neymar-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

Muahahaha. I love it when I'm right but then again, its doesn't take a crystal ball to see it. Just makes sense.

Alves in the RCM role is very intriguing though, read an article last year about him and the author makes a case for him being better going forward for Barca as a CM. Link http://www.thinkfootball.co.uk/tact...re-invent-dani-alves-as-a-central-midfielder/. Him interchanging with Roberto constantly on the right wing would be hard for defenses to handle. I just think, particularly to start off against an extremely meticulous Bayer Leverkusen, it would be safer to go with my midfield 3 of Raki-Masch-Busi supporting Iniesta but I would really like to see something like this for La Liga games:

[formation=barca,6]
Bravo
0-0-Piqué-0-Mascherano/Bartra-0-0
0-Alves-0-0-Raki-0-0
0-0-0-Iniesta-0-0-0
0-Suarez-0-0-0-Neymar-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

Mido

[formation=barca,6]

Muahahaha. I love it when I'm right but then again, its doesn't take a crystal ball to see it. Just makes sense.

Alves in the RCM role is very intriguing though, read an article last year about him and the author makes a case for him being better going forward for Barca as a CM. Link http://www.thinkfootball.co.uk/tact...re-invent-dani-alves-as-a-central-midfielder/. Him interchanging with Roberto constantly on the right wing would be hard for defenses to handle. I just think, particularly to start off against an extremely meticulous Bayer Leverkusen, it would be safer to go with my midfield 3 of Raki-Masch-Busi supporting Iniesta but I would really like to see something like this for La Liga games:

[formation=barca,6]
Bravo
0-0-Piqué-0-Mascherano/Bartra-0-0
0-Alves-0-0-Raki-0-0
0-0-0-Iniesta-0-0-0
0-Suarez-0-0-0-Neymar-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

I would just switch Rakitic's and Iniesta's position. An Alves-Busi-Raki midfield might become less creative and more static. + Iniesta is excellent on the left flank when it comes to breking down the opponent's block and dictating the pace of our attacks.

xXKonan

Rakitic was an Attacking Mid For Sevilla and was great there. If Lucho does plan to do a 4-4-2 with a Diamond I would love to see Rakitic as a #10 again.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
In general such a formation would be a good idea but the lack of depth in midfield would be even more difficult to cope with. As long as Messi is injured I think one of either Munir or Sandro should start every game.

Home of Barca Fans