Man of the Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawanme10

1. Messi - Returned back to his other worldly standards, especially with his defense splitting passing, then THAT killer instinct when he sensed that the defender's pass back to the keeper was weak lunged into it and almost got another goal! :)
2. Alves - What a perfectly executed half-volley with the outside of his foot for the goal! Bravo! Regaining his balance between attacking and defending.
3. Iniesta - He embarrassed the whole of Spartak's left flank consistently and effortlessly. Continued to link up with Alba and Cesc. Showed why he is the European Player of the year. :worthy:

Trickykid

The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread award
Champions League, Spartak Moscow, away (3-0)

1. Messi (55,5%) head, shoulders and a country mile ahead of anyone else. 2 goals, 1 assists and on top of that could have had 4-5 assists easily had other players knew how to take a shot. So many brilliant passes ~ Bojan
2. Busquets (17,2%) Such a hero! Really brings calm and peace to the midfield and just is so unnoticingly important to our team ~ CF4 1899
2. Mascherano (9,4%) Made some crucial tackles, and looked solid alongside a proper CB ~ aki13

Ladies and gentlemen, history was made tonight. For the first time in The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread history we have a player who was voted best of the game by every single participant of the thread. 20 voters, 5 points each, one man. Messi. The breaker of records.
Not only did he destroy the poor Russians, but he also destroyed his competition within the team for the top spot on the podium. 55,5% of the votes were throws his way, which resulted in yet another shattered The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread record, as Messi now has 4 consecutive top spots in a row. The previous record for 3 in a row, was set during the month of October by, yeah I suppose you’ve guessed it already; Messi himself.
Superlatives are wasted on the argentine wizard, so I’ll be quick and skip to this rounds number 2.

While we’re more than used to seeing Messi in these rankings, we have somewhat of a curiosity in second spot. For just the second time this season we see the best holding midfielder in the world, Sergio Busquets on the podium. CF4 1899 summed it up nicely in his quote on why Busi is so seldomly seen amongst the best of the best, as much of his brilliance goes rather unnoticed during his 90 minutes on the field. He doesn’t care though, as he himself, the team, coaching staff, and the hapless opponents facing him, knows so very well that he’s an absolutely indispendible cog in the Barca machine.
Busquets secured just above 17% of the votes, which doesn’t seem like a lot initially, but take away Messis points, and you’ll suddenly see an entirely different picture of a commanding top spot performance with plenty space down to number 3. This rounds podium spot marks his second appearance in the rankings, as we last saw him in the La Liga 2-2 draw against Real Madrid, where he was bested again only by Messi.

Just like our second spot tonight was a nice surprise, third spot is quite the oddity too. A staggering 12 matches this season has ended with zero points in The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread to show for his efforts, for what must be the most severely criticized player in the current Barcelona squad. That’s easily the worst stats for our regular players, and Mascherano certainly hasn’t had his easiest season so far in the blaugrana, as he has struggled as the sole truly regular presence in a constantly shifting back line, and just like Busquets above him, he’s only been deemed worthy of one single top3 placement prior to this one. Last time was against Granada in La Liga nearly exactly 2 months ago, where he also scraped a third spot. This time around wasn’t exactly impressive in terms of percentages either, as he scored just over 9%. His performance was rock solid though, and he will be elated to know that the hugely influential people of The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread appreciated his efforts in the freezing temperatures of Moscow.

Shoutout of the day goes out to Cesc Fabregas, who was the only player from the starting XI who didn’t get a single point tonight. He’s now gone 6 matches in a row without a top3 spot, and it seems he’s far from his brilliant period during late September through October where he stepped onto the podium no less than 4 times in 5 matches. This just goes to show how fast fortunes may change, and just as it changes for the worse at times, surely it’ll change for the better again soon for Cesc.

Curious fact of the day:
As Fabregas lost out on the votes, it marks the first time in the history of these rankings that just one single player from the starting XI didn’t receive any votes. That must be a clear as day indication that the team played very well as a whole last night in Russia.

That’s it for this round, but please do make sure to vote again after this weekend’s perilous trip south down the eastern coast of Spain from Barcelona to Valencia, where we’ll face Levante on Estadi Ciutat de València.

n6u50.jpg

Last edited:

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Great read, very good. Maybe one little thing; shouldn't in case of a tie in points the player with most gold be placed higher? For instance, shouldn't Thiago be above Alexis and Villa above Tello?

Trickykid

Great read, very good. Maybe one little thing; shouldn't in case of a tie in points the player with most gold be placed higher? For instance, shouldn't Thiago be above Alexis and Villa above Tello?

I'm not sure I agree with that, as I actually think two entries in the top3, no matter which spot, should weigh more than one first place, as it shows more consistency, as opposed to a player who in theory only has had one single great game. Anyhow, the excel spreadsheet is a complete hack-job at the moment, as it's the first time I really use the program, so I doubt I'd be able to make such a change even if I tried to. :icon_confused:

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
I'm not sure I agree with that, as I actually think two entries in the top3, no matter which spot, should weigh more than one first place, as it shows more consistency, as opposed to a player who in theory only has had one single great game. Anyhow, the excel spreadsheet is a complete hack-job at the moment, as it's the first time I really use the program, so I doubt I'd be able to make such a change even if I tried to. :icon_confused:

Well, I can also see your point there. No objections from my part, just wanted your opinion to see whether it was purely a random thing or you had a specific reasoning behind it :)

Trickykid

Well, I can also see your point there. No objections from my part, just wanted your opinion to see whether it was purely a random thing or you had a specific reasoning behind it :)

As you know, any input from you guys is much appreciated, and you're absolutely right that we need to do some kind of differentiation in case of draws like this. What and how though, that's the question.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
First time for Messi to win all first choice votes, yes. But I am sure he deserved it before too.
Cesc not winning any votes, while a individual record in motm's, was still not so surprising. He really was out of touch in Moscow.

Thanx Tricky!

abual3bed1

Don Andres: This man in form and good health till May means we win yet another treple!
Valdes: 1st half save and penalty saves hopefully will give him much confidence and may regain his best forms.
Leo: Well, 2 goals in no time when the team needed someone to put the ball in the net. 82 already and Muller's record is history.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Iniesta - Great performance on the wing but I still want to see him in the centre. A lot of his passes today would've been unsuccessful in another game. Levante switched off in the beginning.
Messi - Nice chip for his first. He shifted his feet so quickly for the second. Betting on him to end at 90 for the year.
Xavi - Some of his skills and passes were great.

Honorable mentions :
Valdes - Deserves to be in top 3 but I didn't care much for his penalty save because we were already 4-0 up. Should do his confidence a world of good. Pique-Puyol-Busquets was back so he started making those ground passes to Busi again which was great to see.
Alba - Road-runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans