Manchester United

Martindn

Rather have Di maria or Sanchez especially at the prices quoted for that guy geez.

price looks a bit over the top tho.

Seems a bit of a trend this window if you want even a sniff of quality. I mean we spent what, £119m since january and only Mata is first team quality at the moment, Herrera maybe just out of virtue of our midfield being gashtastic.

BenRobbins

El confidencial reckon that Jorge Mendes wants Di Maria at United and is trying to engineer him a move there so Real can go ahead and buy Jamez Rodriguez. Probably a load of rubbish as surely we would be in for sanchez who would be cheaper than Di Maria at £40 million. It is getting ridiculous now with the players we are getting linked with daily. The media dont have a clue who we want other than vidal and vermalean.

Banana-Rama

Rather have Di maria or Sanchez especially at the prices quoted for that guy geez.

Seems a bit of a trend this window if you want even a sniff of quality. I mean we spent what, £119m since january and only Mata is first team quality at the moment, Herrera maybe just out of virtue of our midfield being gashtastic.

herrera and shaw will be terrific players for us, i am convinced about that, mata will also be great for us providing van gaal uses him properly so i think you are being a bit harsh on the signings. the less said about fellaini the better, we can blame moyes for that one. i agree that transfer fees have become silly tho, liverpool may get £60 or £70 million for suarez but they won't get a whole lot for that money unless they have scouted under the radar players, you can also end up wasting money on under the radar players instead of proven quality tho. di maria, sanchez or cuadrado, i would be happy with any one of them, you can't be too fussy when we have young, valencia and nani on the wing. is sanchez really a winger tho, he's more of a striker nowadays, plays up front for chile and as a forward for barca, you don't often see him running down the wing and getting crosses in nowadays...

Jenks

Because everyone knows that Premier League clubs are now drowning in cash due to the new TV deal.

Martindn

herrera and shaw will be terrific players for us, i am convinced about that, mata will also be great for us providing van gaal uses him properly so i think you are being a bit harsh on the signings. the less said about fellaini the better, we can blame moyes for that one. i agree that transfer fees have become silly tho, liverpool may get £60 or £70 million for suarez but they won't get a whole lot for that money unless they have scouted under the radar players, you can also end up wasting money on under the radar players instead of proven quality tho. di maria, sanchez or cuadrado, i would be happy with any one of them, you can't be too fussy when we have young, valencia and nani on the wing. is sanchez really a winger tho, he's more of a striker nowadays, plays up front for chile and as a forward for barca, you don't often see him running down the wing and getting crosses in nowadays...

Yeah of course Shaw/Herrera will be quality, I mean currently. Will an 18 year old shaw who recorded just the one assist be better than Evra who has had an excellent last couple of years? Idk man how will he handle the price tag? Herrera is an unknown quantity depending on how hes used and who with, wasnt he a CAM for bilbao last year? i never watched him besides the bilbao games and youtube isnt really representative. Our central players are that weak we really need a big midfielder can you genuinely see Herrera fulfilling that? (both creatively and defensively) Nevertheless im just happy we are finally spending the sponsorship money.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28144880 On a related note, we look to be getting the equivalent of a Vidal a season...you cant deny woodwards quality with sponsorships :worthy: one area we do have the upper hand in at least.

Dave Saves

Yeah of course Shaw/Herrera will be quality, I mean currently. Will an 18 year old shaw who recorded just the one assist be better than Evra who has had an excellent last couple of years? Idk man how will he handle the price tag? Herrera is an unknown quantity depending on how hes used and who with, wasnt he a CAM for bilbao last year? i never watched him besides the bilbao games and youtube isnt really representative. Our central players are that weak we really need a big midfielder can you genuinely see Herrera fulfilling that? (both creatively and defensively) Nevertheless im just happy we are finally spending the sponsorship money.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28144880 On a related note, we look to be getting the equivalent of a Vidal a season...you cant deny woodwards quality with sponsorships :worthy: one area we do have the upper hand in at least.

Evra has been a liability at the back for two seasons now I think. He is good going forward but doesn't burst a gut getting back to his position. To be fair to the guy he has been marshaling the left wing pretty much on his own for half a decade without much rotation, and he probably doesn't have as much energy as he used to. Juventus are after him by the way, let's hope he decides to stay. We have lost a lot of experience at the back in the form of Vidic and Ferdinand already this season, so losing him will be another blow.

And we could be making 120m pounds from our kit deals alone. Isn't that ridiculous?!

Martindn

Evra has been a liability at the back for two seasons now I think. He is good going forward but doesn't burst a gut getting back to his position. To be fair to the guy he has been marshaling the left wing pretty much on his own for half a decade without much rotation, and he probably doesn't have as much energy as he used to. Juventus are after him by the way, let's hope he decides to stay. We have lost a lot of experience at the back in the form of Vidic and Ferdinand already this season, so losing him will be another blow.

And we could be making 120m pounds from our kit deals alone. Isn't that ridiculous?!

Sky Italia: Juventus have agreed a provisional contract with Patrice Evra, but Manchester United do not want to sell, they say. #MUFC #Juve

Definitely cant lose Pat when as you say, both Rio and Vida gone. Why leave now Shaw wouldn't play every game. I suppose the bayern goal is still fresh in my mind, overrating him a bit idk no one really remembers the defensive side least i dont.

Getting a bit nostalgic now actually, next season will literally be the start of a new era - foreign manager, changing of the guard, likely whole new playing style.

Dave Saves

Sky Italia: Juventus have agreed a provisional contract with Patrice Evra, but Manchester United do not want to sell, they say. #MUFC #Juve

Definitely cant lose Pat when as you say, both Rio and Vida gone. Why leave now Shaw wouldn't play every game. I suppose the bayern goal is still fresh in my mind, overrating him a bit idk no one really remembers the defensive side least i dont.

Getting a bit nostalgic now actually, next season will literally be the start of a new era - foreign manager, changing of the guard, likely whole new playing style.

I think we should be excited. What should have started 3-4 seasons ago after our defeat at Wembley is happening now at once and is probably difficult to take all at once, but it had to be done. Hopefully, the new ones will turn out to be as good as the ones who have left/are leaving. It will take something special for me to see a defensive partnership better than Rio and Vida :(

S7_MUFC

I thought it was around 60m....and let's not get carried away with these deals...now all our rivals will use our deals as benchmark for negotiating new Sponsorship deals so our advantage will last only for a limited time....and from next season on the teams in champions league will earn 80 million per season so, I wouldn't be surprised if we spent more than 150 million this summer to make sure we get there....Evra has been awful for a few years but we don't have any cover for shaw so selling him now makes no sense...

Martindn

I thought it was around 60m....and let's not get carried away with these deals...now all our rivals will use our deals as benchmark for negotiating new Sponsorship deals so our advantage will last only for a limited time....and from next season on the teams in champions league will earn 80 million per season so, I wouldn't be surprised if we spent more than 150 million this summer to make sure we get there....Evra has been awful for a few years but we don't have any cover for shaw so selling him now makes no sense...

Chevrolet plus nike/warrior/adidas would equate to around £120 million, could even be more than that if you consider they might even outbid each other. Id take less money from nike if it was between them and warrior though...:lol:

Theres only 3 clubs who could match us in sponsorship (not counting the dodgy oil ones) and they play in different leagues no point worrying about it setting any benchmarks.

S7_MUFC

Chevrolet plus nike/warrior/adidas would equate to around £120 million, could even be more than that if you consider they might even outbid each other. Id take less money from nike if it was between them and warrior though...:lol:

Theres only 3 clubs who could match us in sponsorship (not counting the dodgy oil ones) and they play in different leagues no point worrying about it setting any benchmarks.
But that's not the new 120 million...we were already getting around 60 million so the increase in revenue would be only 60 million and significant portion of that amount would be offset by the increased wages.....We're in a really comfortable position now but if we don't get into champions league next season that will change.....our rivals will get 80 million more than us so, the advantage of the higher commercial revenue could be easily lost

Dave Saves

But that's not the new 120 million...we were already getting around 60 million so the increase in revenue would be only 60 million and significant portion of that amount would be offset by the increased wages.....We're in a really comfortable position now but if we don't get into champions league next season that will change.....our rivals will get 80 million more than us so, the advantage of the higher commercial revenue could be easily lost

Of course, that's a given.

Unbiased United

Not got a scooby what you are going on about.

Shaw is already a huge upgrade on Evra and Herrera comes in as our best midfielder by an absolute mile. As the other guy said, Evra has been a real liability at the back for the past two seasons, and as much as I love the guy, if he stays he's going to play second fiddle to a superior left back in Shaw. As for Herrera, his only competition in regards of talent is Carrick, and if last season is anything to go by he's even much better than him these days. He's all over the pitch, good in the tackle and defensively as well as a huge improvement in what we have for creating chances for the strikers. He's not a tiny little Spanish fella, who's going to get pushed around. He's a decent size, and although he might have been a CAM last season he's naturally a more central midfielder in the traditional sense.

The two signings we have made, whilst obviously having the future in mind, are very much going to improve our team immediately.

Martindn

Not got a scooby what you are going on about.

Shaw is already a huge upgrade on Evra and Herrera comes in as our best midfielder by an absolute mile. As the other guy said, Evra has been a real liability at the back for the past two seasons, and as much as I love the guy, if he stays he's going to play second fiddle to a superior left back in Shaw. As for Herrera, his only competition in regards of talent is Carrick, and if last season is anything to go by he's even much better than him these days. He's all over the pitch, good in the tackle and defensively as well as a huge improvement in what we have for creating chances for the strikers. He's not a tiny little Spanish fella, who's going to get pushed around. He's a decent size, and although he might have been a CAM last season he's naturally a more central midfielder in the traditional sense.

The two signings we have made, whilst obviously having the future in mind, are very much going to improve our team immediately

Unbiased huh? :p Have you seen Herrera play often? You make it sound like i trashed them, i did say i rarely watched him. I meant big in the sense of you know...absolute world class ability who would have to carry us in that area of the pitch, suppose i worded it wrong.

I hope you are right, its a big ask, especially of Luke.

Edit : Mike Keegan @mikekeeganbbc · 13m
Vermaelen on the radar + unnamed centre mid. New man happy with attacking options. That's all #mufc

Bit of bad news/good news.

Last edited:

Unbiased United

Unbiased huh? :p Have you seen Herrera play often? You make it sound like i trashed them, i did say i rarely watched him. I meant big in the sense of you know...absolute world class ability who would have to carry us in that area of the pitch, suppose i worded it wrong.

I hope you are right, its a big ask, especially of Luke.

Edit : Mike Keegan @mikekeeganbbc · 13m
Vermaelen on the radar + unnamed centre mid. New man happy with attacking options. That's all #mufc

Bit of bad news/good news.

Not sure why me saying our new players are better than the old ones would make you think I'm showing bias. I'm not saying they are the best in the world, just that they are better than what we have already.

Anyway, I have seen a fair bit of him. Not that I'm mad into Spanish football, but since we were last linked I tended to watch him when I could. Not only that there are a lot of respected football writers (non United) saying what a wonderful player he is too...he's a massive upgrade on what we have, of that there is no doubt.

We don't need absolutely 'world class'... not this season anyway, all we need is better than we had last season, to join with the class we do have and let our manager do his thing.

Oh, and Mike Keegan knows nowt (although the Vermaelen rumour is picking up speed unfortunately)...MEN aren't the reliable source they once were.

Home of Barca Fans