Marc Bartra

Stric

Agreed with some of what you've written but let us not forget that Pique won all of these medals with Puyol besides him. Puyol provided that strength, agility, focus as well as the additional attributes required of a Barca player; finesse.

I cannot see this team relying on Pique as the main CD winning the same number of medals.

Pairing players with other players is tactics, and it's what managers are there to do. The fact that Pique was chosen to be there ahead of others speaks enough.

The Observer

The fact that Pique was chosen to be there ahead of others speaks enough.

Pique was chosen ahead of Albiol. Well done. Nevermind that Vicente del Bosque scouts 2 clubs only + Torres.

Naming his achievements is so unhumorous. Arbeloa is part of that backline.

If you don't remember - the Barca way is to show you can be successful based on your talent, skills and hard work, and not your physical attributes. That's the entire philosophy behind La Masia, and it has been successful.

Well, hard work is definitely something Pique doesn't have. Not that I expect that of him. He has an upper class family background, an influential grandfather within the club, bangs Shakira and has made millions and won everything there is to win in his early 20s. If I were him I wouldn't bother about keeping myself in shape and focus week in week out either. It's not his fault he was born to be a rockstar. It's up to the club to realize this and get rid the same way Sir Alex Ferguson got rid of Beckham. Of course they won't because he's Catalan and takes stupid digs at Real Madrid and Madrid in general from time to time. Of course there is also the "mes que un club" mantra. Pretending that we are doing it the only right way and raise our own players while the evil capital is spending billions and we can't afford to do that. :neymar:

And then there is the misconception of "skill over physical attributes at all cost". When in reality it should be about equality. When you are skilfull but get bullied of the ball at age 14 it shouldn't be a hindrance for your future. This does not mean that Barca's first team defense should consist of midgets and weaklings. There is a limit. Barca's current backline can not defend aerial balls or set pieces at all. We can somehow work around this major weakpoint by flooding the midfield with Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Messi and playing it safe and keeping the ball. But there is a point where you won't be able to pin a top team into their own half like a scared and negative Manchester City side.

Our possession play has become more and more sterile in recent years and that's because the backline is the weakest backline of any top team, including the likes of Liverpool. If the front 6 played freely and attacked with confidence but in return lost the ball a bit more, we would suffer dearly in defense. So we play it safer and safer to compensate until the attack also becomes toothless.

The Zouma vs. Bartra example doesn't need to be taken literally. Bartra doesn't need to become Jaap Stam. But a certain strength level should be required. He is not a child anymore. He's 23. Pique too gets physically bullied by Robinho. That's Barca's defensive level right now yet some "holier" Barca fans find a way to excuse this.

Last edited:

spark

This is the sort of hype that got people to believe that Pique was a world class defender in the past. Bartra showed some glimpses at the beginning of the season although even then it wasn't always flawless and all of a sudden the expectations are sky high and a performance like this comes as a total shock.

Fact of the matter is that Bartra still has the body of a child and not a top flight professional defender. Like last season, he still uses his arms to battle Sociedad attackers. Fact of the matter is also that a partnership of Pique and Bartra is recipe for desaster and always will be.

Kurt Zouma, 19 years old:

kurt-zouma-saint-etienne-600.jpg

Marca Bartra, 23 years old:

soc_g_marc-bartra_mb_200x300.jpg

fabio-cannavaro1.jpg
19633-zoom.jpg

montero01g.jpg

No one bested these physically until they were old men yet Zouma will probably never be as good as them no matter how big he gets. Defensive ability has little to do with size or body type.

Last edited:

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I just can't see Barca winning CL with Bartra, can he be the captain like Puyol, can he be inspiring fighter like Puyol, can he make fearless challenges like Mascherano? I don't think so.

Stric

Pique was chosen ahead of Albiol. Well done. Nevermind that Vicente del Bosque scouts 2 clubs only + Torres.

Well, hard work is definitely something Pique doesn't have. Not that I expect that of him. He has an upper class family background, an influential grandfather within the club, bangs Shakira and has made millions and won everything there is to win in his early 20s. If I were him I wouldn't bother about keeping myself in shape and focus week in week out either. It's not his fault he was born to be a rockstar. It's up to the club to realize this and get rid the same way Sir Alex Ferguson got rid of Beckham. Of course they won't because he's Catalan and takes stupid digs at Real Madrid and Madrid in general from time to time. Of course there is also the "mes que un club" mantra. Pretending that we are doing it the only right way and raise our own players while the evil capital is spending billions and we can't afford to do that. :neymar:

And then there is the misconception of "skill over physical attributes at all cost". When in reality it should be about equality. When you are skilfull but get bullied of the ball at age 14 it shouldn't be a hindrance for your future. This does not mean that Barca's first team defense should consist of midgets and weaklings. There is a limit. Barca's current backline can not defend aerial balls or set pieces at all. We can somehow work around this major weakpoint by flooding the midfield with Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Messi and playing it safe and keeping the ball. But there is a point where you won't be able to pin a top team into their own half like a scared and negative Manchester City side.

Our possession play has become more and more sterile in recent years and that's because the backline is the weakest backline of any top team, including the likes of Liverpool. If the front 6 played freely and attacked with confidence but in return lost the ball a bit more, we would suffer dearly in defense. So we play it safer and safer to compensate until the attack also becomes toothless.

The Zouma vs. Bartra example doesn't need to be taken literally. Bartra doesn't need to become Jaap Stam. But a certain strength level should be required. He is not a child anymore. He's 23. Pique too gets physically bullied by Robinho. That's Barca's defensive level right now yet some "holier" Barca fans find a way to excuse this.

The entire first part of your post just shows what an easy target for criticism Pique is. The arguments that people used against him used to be about Shakira, which is cheap enough, but now you've gone and taken it a step further - wealthy family background, "influential grandfather". :lol: Give me a fucking break, are you serious? I'd love to know more about this grandfather fella. I bet Laporta, Rosell and Bartomeu shit their pants when he grabs his cane.

And undermining his achievements is even worse. You mention Arbeloa, who's only been a part of the Spain NT in the last Euro (and wasn't very good either), and hasn't had a major role in RM until recently. Pique, on the other hand, has been an integral part of both the Spain NT and Barcelona for years, and more importantly, he's been much better at his job than Arbeloa. And it's not only Albiol he's chosen ahead of, it's every Spanish CB except the one he plays next to in the NT, and every other available CB in the world that Barcelona could have bought and played instead of him. You can choose to ignore that if you like, which I presume you will, as it is obviously your habit to ignore facts that don't support your theory.

And the best part is, I'm not even disagreeing with you regarding Barca's problem with strength and set pieces. You're absolutely right about that and the second part is true, pretty much every word of it. You make good points. It's just that twisting facts to make them sound funny and making cheap shots isn't necessary to prove your point. It just makes you look like a douche.

Last edited:
G

Gascav

This comment:goodpost:

The Observer

Give me a fucking break, are you serious? I'd love to know more about this grandfather fella. I bet Laporta, Rosell and Bartomeu shit their pants when he grabs his cane.

Spoken like a student who hasn't faced the real world yet. It's not my issue if you believe having a former vice president as a grandfather who is still well connected within the club doesn't give Pique enormous bonus points. Not my issue either if you don't see the connection between his heritage and his personality which reflects heavily on the pitch. The likelihood that someone like Pique who never had to face consequences for his actions in his entire life will become as serious and as hardworking as someone who grew up washing cars as a kid to make a living (I'm talking about Sanchez if you haven't grasped it yet) is minimal. The likelihood that he will become a slacking joker is much higher. But I'm not here to educate people in life matters.

http://www.totalbarca.com/2010/news/rosell-to-appoint-amador-bernabeu-as-uefa-ambassador/

In 2011 Pep sent him on the bench. It's 2014 now and we're still moaning about Pique's performances.

Egert

Estonian Culé
I dont understand some of Barca fans. When Bartra played well, everyone were like "Yeah, he is the best".... Now when he has had some poor games everyone goes mad. WTF?

X

Xavimascapenes

I dont understand some of Barca fans. When Bartra played well, everyone were like "Yeah, he is the best".... Now when he has had some poor games everyone goes mad. WTF?

This, knee-jerking of epic proportions going on on this forum.

G

Gascav

I was not that convinced about batra! I thought he needed more tests against other opponents and in all the tougher matches he performed less than what we came to know of him i.e in the villareal match how his error led to goal, in the sevilla match, and now the stinker vs real sociedad.

He is very good but not ready to be a starter just yet. Needs more experience as he needs to learn to handle the pressure against better side, and that is why martino's selection of masch is a bit justified. Handling with pressure!

Home of Barca Fans