Marc Bartra

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
He was good but for me that game showed who the boss at the back is and it was Masch.

Masch may have had a few dodgy moments in first half but he is the leader/organiser.

Pique is emerging as a leader/organiser as well so those two have a big edge over the other CBs in my opinion.

Well there can only be one leader in a back line. And it is obvious that is going to be an experienced player, who was in a World Cup final, won the CL and played for Barca and Liverpool rather than Marc who is a young prospect.

JamDav1982

Well there can only be one leader in a back line. And it is obvious that is going to be an experienced player, who was in a World Cup final, won the CL and played for Barca and Liverpool rather than Marc who is a young prospect.

Barta is 24 so not really just a 'young prospect'.

Even if you put him with a CB younger than him with less experience he still would not transform into that leader type.

Hence why i dont think you will see him that often not paired with Masch and why he is behind some of the other CBs in the pecking order.

He played well enough today though.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Bartra really isn't a prospect though. The commentators have pointed out that he's only 3 years younger than Messi at age 24. Almost all truly elite players have become elite by this age yet he's stilled referred to as a 'prospect'. He's got a lot to prove before we can be convinced that he is a world class leader of our defense.

Great game today though.

Alik

Bartra really isn't a prospect though. The commentators have pointed out that he's only 3 years younger than Messi at age 24. Almost all truly elite players have become elite by this age yet he's stilled referred to as a 'prospect'. He's got a lot to prove before we can be convinced that he is a world class leader of our defense.

Great game today though.

Everyone knows that he will become world-class by 27. :zubi:

BBZ8800

Being a leader is more like something you get/earn from your teammates, rather than an age thing.

Puyol and Marquez were 25 and 24 years old when Rijkaard came, and they were both true leaders.
Ronaldinho and Etoo were true leaders by the age of 23.

Bartra loves the club, he has a nice passion and everything.
But to be a leader, imo, you need some kind of a mix of an attitude, passion, skills and some history behind you (so that your teammates can "trust" you). Some kind of "a proof" that you can be a leader both in tactical/technical skills and in attitude/mental skills.
-- ok, so the last part is slightly connected with the age, but again, as others have said, other players and leaders have "earned" that level already by the age of 24-25

I know, he hasn't played that much, but AGAIN, since you are "earning" your points from your teammates and coaches, there is probably a stronger reason why Puyol played much more till the age 24 than Bartra, why Puyol earned more chances to play, and why in the end, teammates had a lot of faith in Puyol.

Anyway, Bartra can still achieve that even aged 28 or 30, but the truth is that he isn't the same like Puyol, Marquez or our other defenders.

Even though fans here on forums adore him, again, there must be something what we don't know/don't see from trainings or about his "mental" strength.

Anyway, a good squad player, useful when needed.
But I don't believe that he will ever be our "new Puyol".
Maybe he will be a starting 11 material in a few years. But to replicate Puyol is extremely hard.

Last edited:

DinhoR10

Being a leader is more like something you get/earn from your teammates, rather than an age thing.

Puyol and Marquez were 25 and 24 years old when Rijkaard came, and they were both true leaders.

Bartra loves the club, he has a nice passion and everything.
But to be a leader, imo, you need some kind of a mix of attitude, passion, skills and some history behind you (so that your teammates can "trust" you).
-- ok, so the last part is slightly connected with the age, but again, as others have said, other players and leaders have "earned" that level already by the age 24-25

I know, he hasn't played that much, but AGAIN, since you are "earning" your points from your teammates and coaches, there is probably a stronger reason why Puyol played much more till the age 24 than Bartra, why Puyol earned more chances to play, and why in the end, teammates had a lot of faith in Puyol.

Anyway, Bartra can still achieve that even aged 28 or 30, but the truth is that he isn't the same like Puyol, Marquez or our other defenders.

Even though fans here on forums adore him, again, there must be something what we don't know/don't see from trainings or about his "mental" strength.
Since if he really would be a new Puyol, he would have earned those "points" from his teammates and coaches long ago.
For example, currently he is still 3rd or 4th choice as a CB.
And if Vermaelen wasn't injured, maybe he Bartra would have been even the 4th or 5th pick.

Anyway, a good squad player, useful when needed.
But I don't believe that he will ever be our "new Puyol".

Pique is playing like the best defender in the world and Mascherano in defense is like playing with 12 men since he's a presence in both defense and midfield (Although Bartra seems to be following in this mold to). You an't expect him to dislodge two experienced players who are in the forms of their lives right now.

Zangash

Banned
I must have been watching a different game from the rest of you. It didn't even take Mascherano five minutes to get demolished and him stepping all the way up to midfield for a tackle he inevitably couldn't make led to a very dangerous counter that luckily was snuffed out by a charging Bravo. I would even go as far as to say he was our worst player today, compared to Bartra who practically carried us defensively.

L

linetty

I must have been watching a different game from the rest of you. It didn't even take Mascherano five minutes to get demolished and him stepping all the way up to midfield for a tackle he inevitably couldn't make led to a very dangerous counter that luckily was snuffed out by a charging Bravo. I would even go as far as to say he was our worst player today, compared to Bartra who practically carried us defensively.
+1

Gnidrologist

@BBZ8800
Comparing Bartra to Puyol in this way is fallacy, because Puyol much like Xavi were regulars since the age 20 not because they were that great, but because squad was much weaker then. There was hardly any competition in CB role for Puyol in early 2000s. F.De Boer being the best one. We don't know what level Bartra would be now if he played regularly. Also, Puyol made a lot of blunders when he was young. He compensated that with tenacity and a lot of great saving tackles. Bartra seems quite similar to him in this respect.

BBZ8800

@BBZ8800
Comparing Bartra to Puyol in this way is fallacy, because Puyol much like Xavi were regulars since the age 20 not because they were that great, but because squad was much weaker then. There was hardly any competition in CB role for Puyol in early 2000s. F.De Boer being the best one. We don't know what level Bartra would be now if he played regularly. Also, Puyol made a lot of blunders when he was young. He compensated that with tenacity and a lot of great saving tackles. Bartra seems quite similar to him in this respect.

I understand your points.
But again, imo, people are biased towards our current young(er) player, and are using some sort of alibis for everything.
In other topics, when someone mentions that Deulofeu or Halilovic are dummies and that they have a low footballing IQ, you will see some answers that young Messi or young Cristiano Ronaldo were also dummies.
True, they weren't as smart in decisions as today, but young Messi and young Deulo and Halil in terms of decisions are two different universes.

Further, now we can see an excuse that Xavi played because Barca needed homegrown players because we were full of foreigners.
But again, other top prospects also had the chance in those days, like Ivan De la Pena, Oscar and Roger Garcia, etc.

So, it is not like Xavi was the only player back then who was given a chance, and since he was the only one, he was pushed by coaches, media and everyone, and later became the best Barca's midfielder in a history.
There must be something in Xavi also, if you get my point.

Puyol?
-- we had Abelardo, Frank De Boer, Dehu and Puyol in 1999'
-- we had Frank De Boer, Abelardo and Puyol as CBs in 2000'
-- we had Frank De Boer, Abelardo, Patrik Andersson, Christanval and Puyol in 2001'
-- we had Frank De Boer, Abelardo, Patrik Andersson, Christanval, Puyol and Oleguer in 2002'
-- we had Puyol, Marquez and Oleguer in 2003'

Those are only Cbs, I didn't write full backs here.
So, the competition was poor only in 2000 with 3 players, Puyol, Abelardo and De Boer (Where De Boer and Abelardo were world class older players back then)

Anyway, I remember young Puyol, he played as a Rb often, and he was sometimes poor when he was really young.
But that was when he was aged 20.

By the age 23-24, Puyol became the good, old Puyol, whom we all know.

Also, you are saying that a competition was weak back then (I am not blaming you, people are often using all kinds of arguments to show how the current youngsters, no matter how good or bad they actually are=are as good or even better than our former youngsters).
While in the last few Seasons, Bartra had to compete only against:
1. Shakira Pique
2. Masch who is not a Cb at all
3. and always injured Puyol

So, honestly, I don't see the logic how it was easier for Puyol than for Bartra.
Puyol was just much, much better player and that's it.
Also, people will say that I am trashing our young players.
I could reply: I am not trashing young players, I am defending our legends from posts how they had it easy, and how every new young player is the next Xavi or the next Puyol.

I am not saying that Bartra is bad, but there are a lot of levels in between of: being a good player, being a starter and being a Puyol.

Also, imo, saying how Xavi and Puyol made it in Barca is partially based on a fact that the competition was weak back then, is rude towards Puyol and Xavi.

Also, Puyol made a lot of blunders when he was young. He compensated that with tenacity and a lot of great saving tackles. Bartra seems quite similar to him in this respect.

I would say that a young Puyol had skills 80/100 and passion 100/100.
Later he improved tactically, and had skills 99/100 and passion still 100/100.

With Bartra, his skills were never as good as young Puyol's.
I would give him 60-70/100 in skills and 100/100 passion.
Now, to reach Puyol's level, he will need to improve a lot in skills.
He is improving, but he still has a lot of things to improve to be a starter (positioning, as a number one)

He has the passion, but Puyol was maybe the best defender in the world.

Last edited:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Bartra is too similar to Pique. Both together is the least effective partnership on this team.

IMO:

1- Pique-Masche
2- Bartra-Masche
3- Pique-Mathieu

Home of Barca Fans