Marc Bartra

JamDav1982

Varane is a young CB who clearly wont be world class every game, but his good performances have far outweighed anything Barta has done.

Cant believe anyone even wants to keep that comparison going.

BBZ8800

You just said the same thing I said.

BARTRA made the ill-judged tackle. He was left exposed but he still made the mistake. Just like every other Barca CB in the history of tiki-taka. Therefore I don't believe he should be labeled "not good enough" just because of that one mistake. Thankfully coaches don't make judgments so willy nilly else Pique would have been sold in janurary.

A few posters already said that Batra should have played when Pique was in a poor form.

The thing with Pique and Bartra is something like this:
1. Pique proved in the past that he is a world class, let's say 98/100 player
-- sometimes he is poor, but we all KNOW that he can be a world class when he is on form
2. Barta never played for more than 70/100 in skills, let's say it that way
a) maybe he can reach 80, 90 or 100 one day
b) but maybe 70 is his limit
Coaches probably have their opinion about Bartra, and they just trust to Pique even when he is in his worst form.

Similar analogy would be:
= when Neymar is poor, would you play Pedro instead of him in 4-5 matches?
-- in 1-2 matches, yes
-- in 4-5, no, because you need Neymar back because Ney is a 100/100 player when he is on form, and Pedro is just a squad, 80/100 player

Now you will reply: but we need to give chances to Bartra etc.
More and more fans share the opinion lately that he is good, but that he will never be anything more than a squad player.
Coaches probably share the same opinion.
This is why they rather play off form Pique and Dmc Masch, than him.

Richard.H

I just want to thank BBZ8000 for being so patient and giving excellent counter arguments to most people in this thread. Too many cule glasses in this forum. Most people outside of this forum only know Bartra as the guy that got skinned by the almighty Bale.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I just want to thank BBZ8000 for being so patient and giving excellent counter arguments to most people in this thread. Too many cule glasses in this forum. Most people outside of this forum only know Bartra as the guy that got skinned by the almighty Bale.

They also know Busquets as the diver from that one incident vs Inter back in 2010.

Most of those people outside this forum aren't exactly the brightest on the planet either tbf.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Had the same discussion not so long ago. It seem like this is what happens all the time in Marc Bartra's thread.

Masch and Pique are by far our best CBs and deservedly our starters.

Bartra is a very solid 3rd, 4th CB who usually does his job quite well whenever he plays, which is great. We need him to do that, be solid.

But somehow some people want him to start and think he is better than he is, which he is obviously not, and there's the pathetic lot who got to undermine his performances, coming up from their caves whenever he does one bad thing, but are nowhere to be seen when he is his solid himself as usual.

Bartra is neither World Class, or mediocre or average. He is a very solid CB who is good for a 3rd, 4th option at FC Barcelona and we should be content with that. Maybe he'll develop later, late bloomer and all that and still turn World Class, and maybe and perhaps most likely not? But he'll still be a good player, a good CB who will do his job well most of the time and also sometimes make stupid mistakes, which all CBs in the world, no matter how good or bad they are, makes.

khaled_a_d

You have must missed the good old days in 2013 ,we lost 7 to Bayern and the world made fun of Bartra and still this forum talked about how he is gonna be better than Varane and that he had excellent games
People was making fun of anyone who think otherwise ,at least today many don't go to the hype train so quickly

Zangash

Banned
You have must missed the good old days in 2013 ,we lost 7 to Bayern and the world made fun of Bartra and still this forum talked about how he is gonna be better than Varane and that he had excellent games
People was making fun of anyone who think otherwise ,at least today many don't go to the hype train so quickly

I don't think anyone was on the Bartra hype train prior to Tata Martino.

Zangash

Banned
lol,you are kidding right?fans thought he Tito was unfair to him and whenever he played people went crazy about our own Varane

I wasn't on this particular forum back then. Opinions must have differed greatly between here and my past Culer community. How odd that everyone was going mad about him being our Varane when that just so happens to be the season Varane himself came onto the scene?

Although if you don't think Tito was unfair to Bartra you're probably looking back on that season with tinted shades on.

khaled_a_d

I wasn't on this particular forum back then. Opinions must have differed greatly between here and my past Culer community. How odd that everyone was going mad about him being our Varane when that just so happens to be the season Varane himself came onto the scene?

Although if you don't think Tito was unfair to Bartra you're probably looking back on that season with tinted shades on.

Varane was playing a lot in 2012/2013 man ,33 games with some starts in a tough CL group stage early in the season and after his 1st classico the world was on his hype train .fans here started to talk about how we have a player like him in Bartra
worst after poor performances fans still hyped him
Tito was unfair to him in the sense that Adriano got a chance as a CB over Barta ..other than that he wasn't actually good enough .he has came along way since then

BBZ8800

I don't think anyone was on the Bartra hype train prior to Tata Martino.

Imo, Bartra is the most overhyped player on Barca's forum.
And Alexis had the strangest cult following.

A lot of other players are overhyped, but these two have the "strangest/strongest" amount of hype.

Last edited:

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Imo, Bartra is the most overhyped player on Barca's forum.
And Alexis had the strangest cult following.

A lot of other players are overhyped, but these two have the "strangest/strongest" amount of hype.
I am still not sure why (La masia product? Young? Handsome? We need CB's? He is devoted to Barca? All factors mixed together?)

Bartra way hyped here before Tata.
He was "always" the next Puyol, Bartresi, the new captain and similar.

I think a lot of people are basing their opinion on PSG game where he was pretty good and it seems that a lot people here don't like Mathieu (because he is 31 year old CB who costs 20M) hence the hype. I basically think that he is more reliable this season than the last season and if Pique, Mathieu, Mascherano is not available when there is no fear of Bartra replacing them.

Last edited:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Don't forget that Bartra is Masia, on catalan forums a lot would love to see more LaMasia players instead of big signings, Bartra Halilovic and Adama especially, a lot would start them on the 1st team .. lol .. there's a BIG political element in Barcelona, it's kinda annoying at times

BBZ8800

I think a lot of people are basing their opinion on PSG game where he was pretty good and it seems that a lot people here don't like Mathieu (because he is 31 year old CB who costs 20M) hence the hype. I basically think that he is more reliable this season than the last season and if Pique, Mathieu, Mascherano is not available when there is no fear of Bartra replacing them.

I have seen on other football forums and on forums about manager games:
1. people are for some reason obsessed with younger players (I am personally not, so I can't understand that hype)
-- basically, even if you have a good team, most of the fans are always planning ahead are are looking for new and younger players
-- usually their logic is something like:
a) if both players are equal, then a younger player > older player
b) if an older player is better, then still younger player > older player, "because" we need to think about the future, blah blah
2. also, the other obsession is with homegrown players
Again:
a) if a homegrown player is equal to a foreign player, then a homegrown player > a foreign player
b) but also, if a foreign player is better, then still: a homegrown > foreign player, "because" he loves our club more, we need domestic players, they are special, etc

So, imo, Bartra is not that good at all, but he is just young and homegrown, so, people are overrating his skills (with "cule glasses" and based on these obsessions mentioned above) by 20-30%.
This is why people outside this forum don't rate Bartra. (Because they aren't obsessed with our young and homegrown players).
Some will say that other people are wrong, others will say that other people are just realistic about Bartra and similar players, and not biased.

I personally don't care if our player is 18, 25 or 33, or is he a Cameroonian or a Catalan, as long as he is playing good and as long as we are winning trophies.
But again, for too many fans, "being young" and "homegrown" is more important than a lot of other, objective factors.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans