Marc Bartra

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Essentially, Bartra should be 3rd choice centerback ahead of Mathieu because, unlike Mathieu, he doesn't freak out when he has the ball at his feet.

BBZ8800

Essentially, Bartra should be 3rd choice centerback ahead of Mathieu because, unlike Mathieu, he doesn't freak out when he has the ball at his feet.

The trick is that former coaches haven't trusted to Bartra too much (and he did make some horrible mistakes in key matches). I expect now:
-- but he was young
-- he hasn't played and similar answers

Ok, but the thing with Bartra is:
1. he played some bigger matches in the past and he did some mistakes in those matches (for example, when he asked Tito to take him out of Bayern game because he was scared, even though we hadn't any other available options. Plus, mistakes like against Bale. Or when he is sometimes easily caught out of a position against bigger teams)
-- ok, people will again say: he need to play more to improve in that area.
-- true. Maybe he will improve.
The point is that till now he made mistakes against bigger teams, and that since then, he almost ALWAYS plays only against a very crappy teams
-- and he is more or less good versus crappy teams, because:
1. those teams are crappy
2. or we don't need to defend that much
3. if he makes mistakes, crappy teams can't punish us and score goals
He don't get too many opportunities against bigger teams.
And when he does, it is either on Camp nou, or in cup matches (Atletico), or when all other options are injured, like currently.

For example, a list of Bartra's matches this Season:
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=53395
-- based on the current La liga table, this is the rankings of the teams, against whom Bartra played:
Home matches:
-- 15. Elche
-- 18. Levante
-- 19. Granada

Away:
-- 7. Malaga
-- 11. Rayo
-- 14. Eibar
-- 15. Elche
-- 16. Almeria
-- 17. Deportivo
-- 19. Granada

-- he did play in a few tougher matches like:
-- Champions league (Ajax, Ajax, Apoel, Apoel, Psg home)
-- and all cup matches, plus cup match against Atletico at home

Now, let's check matches where Mathieu played:
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=32238
Home:
5. Villareal
6. Sevilla
7. Malaga
8. Bilbao
9. Espanyol
10. Celta
11. Rayo
14. Eibar
15. Elche
19. Granada

Away:
2. Real Madrid
3. Valencia
5. Villareal
8. Bilbao
11. Rayo
12. Sociedad
13. Getafe
18. Levante
19. Granada

Champions league:
-- Psg, Psg, Man. City
Cup:
-- Atletico away
-- Villareal home
-- Villareal away

So, let's do some maths and stats:
Bartra's matches against teams from Top10 of La Liga:
-- Home: -
-- Away: Malaga (7)
-- Ajax, Ajax, Psg (Champions league)
-- Atletico (4) cup
= 5 matches in total

Mathieu's matches against strong teams and Top10 La Liga teams:
-- Home: Villareal (5), Sevilla (6), Malaga (7), Bilbao (8), Espanyol (9), Celta (10)
-- Away: Real (2), Valencia (3), Villareal (5), Bilbao (8)
-- Champions League: Psg, Psg, Man. City
-- Cup: Atletico (4), Villareal (5), Villareal (5)
= total 16 matches

So:
1. Mathieu hasn't done any horrible mistakes, right?
2. bigger matches with Mathieu:
-- Villareal 1:0
-- Bilbao 2:0
-- Psg 2:3
-- Real 1:3
-- Celta 0:1
-- Sevilla 5:1
-- Valencia 1:0
-- Espanyol 5:1
-- Psg 3:1
-- Atletico 3:2
-- Villareal 3:2
-- Bilbao 5:2
-- Villareal 3:1
-- Malaga 0:1
-- Man. City 2:1
-- Villareal 3:1
= total, 12 wins, 4 defeats
-- so, it's not like that we play bad with Mathieu, right?
3. Mathieu has more experience and he is more or less=a proven La liga defender
4. More or less, he has proven even this Season in Barca that he can play in matches against Top10 teams and that we will win most of those matches
5. he played more, so he has a better chemistry with other teammates, right?

Bartra:
1. he is young, La Masia product, loves Barca
2. in the previous Seasons, hasn't convinced till now that he is exactly ready for the biggest matches
3. This Season he played mostly against the weakest teams
4. he played only 5 stronger matches
-- in La Liga, against Top 10 sides, Lucho played Barta only once (!!) till now against any Top10 team (Malaga away 0:0)

So, honestly, how EXACTLY is now a moment to put faith in Bartra in key moments of the Season, when he didn't play bigger matches nor in previous Seasons, nor in this Season (only 1 bigger La Liga Match in 27 rounds)

All numbers and stats indicates that Mathieu is the 3rd option and the safest, the most logical option in the final weeks of the Season.

Last edited:
L

linetty

Mathieu has a better pass percentage than Barta and makes more passes.

Against better teams.
To hell with these stats. Bartra looks more comfortable with the ball at his feet and you don't need any stats to tell that.

Bartra was great and I'd take the risk against Man City to start him beside Pique.

Vars

Banned
I kinda agree with BBZ8800. I still don't trust Bartra for the bigger matches.

On a side note, for some reason he looks fragile to me. Specially for a CB.

André

He was fragile my ass vs PSG and Atleti. He should get more chances. Mathieu is a big flop. After that decent start he has declined.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
I also would love Lucho to put Bartra instead of matthieu, no matter what the stats say he looks way stronger now and way more confident in his position!

He also connects pretty good with middfield and messi, with Matthieu you're pretty much sure he'll send it to pique to play it super safe, always, and at defending he was shit against RM and Athletic, just 2 that i can think of right now but there's more.

JamDav1982

To hell with these stats. Bartra looks more comfortable with the ball at his feet and you don't need any stats to tell that.

Bartra was great and I'd take the risk against Man City to start him beside Pique.

Mathieu has an awkward style but you dont play left wing if you are shit with the ball at feet.

Mathieu has better passing stats in terms of accuracy and better dribbling stats when taking ball out.

Can ignore that if you like but the facts say he is not doing worse than Bartra with ball at feet.

Bartra/Pique partnership has been destroyed in a lot of games in the past. Sonot sure what a game against Eibar changes to take a risk.

L

linetty

Mathieu has an awkward style but you dont play left wing if you are shit with the ball at feet.

Mathieu has better passing stats in terms of accuracy and better dribbling stats when taking ball out.

Can ignore that if you like but the facts say he is not doing worse than Bartra with ball at feet.

Bartra/Pique partnership has been destroyed in a lot of games in the past. Sonot sure what a game against Eibar changes to take a risk.
I'm actually watching the games and Bartra's distribution looks superior from the back. Mathieu is usually passing to Pique and leaves it to him.

Still not sure what games do you refer to when Bartra/Pique was supposedly destroyed.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Perhaps Mathieu will do better this time if he starts seeing that he would start at cb instead of lb like last time.

JamDav1982

I'm actually watching the games and Bartra's distribution looks superior from the back. Mathieu is usually passing to Pique and leaves it to him.

Still not sure what games do you refer to when Bartra/Pique was supposedly destroyed.

Mathieu doesnt just pass it to Pique and leave it to him and even if he is doing that he is not giving the ball away a lot.

Mathieu plays a lot of quick passes into full backs and midfield and not just to Pique.

Barta probably does try more longer passes than Mathieu but to make out Mathieu gives ball away more is wrong.

L

linetty

Mathieu doesnt just pass it to Pique and leave it to him and even if he is doing that he is not giving the ball away a lot.

Mathieu plays a lot of quick passes into full backs and midfield and not just to Pique.

Barta probably does try more longer passes than Mathieu but to make out Mathieu gives ball away more is wrong.
I am not making out that Mathieu gives ball away more, you didn't hear that from me. I'm just pointing out that Bartra looks more confident on the ball while Mathieu sometimes seems to panic and it doesn't have a good impact on team mates surrounding him, I don't even feel secure watching him from my sofa let alone the keeper or other players from the defensive formation. Even Ray said yesterday that Bartra doesn't seem to have heartbeat.

Home of Barca Fans