Marc Bartra

JamDav1982

Something I don't like about Mathieu is that he follows the forwards around and he doesn't have the speed to do that. I've noticed he did that a lot in the game we lost at PSG. There is one play for example where he leaves his spot in defence to follow Pastore (I think) and then we see Lucas Moura attacking exactly the space Mathieu leaves open. Other players are probably instructed to draw Mathieu out to create rifts in our backline, because their manager knows Mathieu is not quick enough to block his faster players' run. Aguero could do something like this as well if Mathieu decides he wants to follow one of City's players around.

Like this:

PSG.jpg

I would say they are instructed to do that as Bartra did it yesterday and Masch does it all the time.

It has always been since Peps day that one of the CBs will move into the midfield to try and win ball early and other have to cover for them.

It used to be Pique going and Puyol holding fort, recently it is Masch goes and Pique stays.

serghei

Well, instructed or not, he's not the player you'd want following other players around. Everytime he tries that against quick opponents, he's gonna leave space other teams could build on. Mascherano is better at that and when Mascherano does it, he usually is first at the ball because he's the best anticipator in the game probably.

Actually, because of those instructions to be active rather than proactive even in defence is why Mascherano should be our CB anyway, and Mathieu is not. I want Mathieu to stay in the backline, rather than try to win the ball because he is so easily taken out of the game it's not even funny.

Here, the Bilbao game. What is he doing? He doesn't even know where Aduriz is because Aduriz is playing behind him. He's completely in no mans land here, marking no one.

Bilbao.jpg

Last edited:

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I think it's clear that Mathieu will start in Clasico, not really worried about that because compared to previous Clasico he'll play as CB and a lot of defensive duties will first of all be taken by Rakitic and Mascherano, moreover him and Pique will be important in defending headers, we can't let CR score such easy headers as he did against Schalke.

JamDav1982

Well, instructed or not, he's not the player you'd want following other players around. Everytime he tries that against quick opponents, he's gonna leave space other teams could build on. Mascherano is better at that and when Mascherano does it, he usually is first at the ball because he's the best anticipator in the game probably.

Actually, because of those instructions to be active rather than proactive even in defence is why Mascherano should be our CB anyway, and Mathieu is not. I want Mathieu to stay in the backline, rather than try to win the ball because he is so easily taken out of the game it's not even funny.

Here, the Bilbao game. What is he doing?

Bilbao.jpg

Mathieu won loads of those type of battles against Rayo last week. Seemed liked he got to the ball first every time.

Granted Rayo is different level to Madrid/PSG.

Bartra has a weakness of trying to win ball early as well and against physically strong strikers can get rolled easier than Mathieu.

Either could play and be really good or really poor. Just have to wait and see.

Edit: You could make screen shots like that for any CB in any game.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Here, the Bilbao game. What is he doing? He doesn't even know where Aduriz is because Aduriz is playing behind him. He's completely in no mans land here, marking no one.

Bilbao.jpg

Bilbao was by far his worst game I think, both goals arrived on his side and because of bad position, not attacking the ball and let it go past him very easily, I cringe everytime I watch the highlights.

JamDav1982

Bilbao was by far his worst game I think, both goals arrived on his side and because of bad position, not attacking the ball and let it go past him very easily, I cringe everytime I watch the highlights.

The first goal in that game Messi gave away ball in midfield and no one marked the midfield runners. The defence were caught out. Very harsh to blame that on Mathieu.

serghei

Granted Rayo is different level to Madrid/PSG.

And that is basically the point. We can play Montoya, Mathieu, Rafinha against normal teams. But can we play them in the more serious games? I doubt they could handle that, knowing any mistake can be fatal (see the goal Pinto took from 40m wide).

serghei

Bartra has a weakness of trying to win ball early as well and against physically strong strikers can get rolled easier than Mathieu.

I know he does. That's why I'd play Pique-Mascherano in the clasico at all costs. I'd even play without a classic DM, after all Madrid will play without one as well most likely.

Zangash

Banned
Mathieu has played very poorly when used and stats be damned, we win most of our games despite him being out there, not because he's there. Bartra is better positionally and is a better tackler who can read the game better. Mathieu, even when he was playing "Well" at the start of the season, struggles to even clear the ball correctly, and despite him being much taller, Bartra is more likely to use his head to get the ball clear. Take into consideration that Mathieu is 31 and Bartra is 24 and there's really no reason whatsoever to use the old man in favor of Bartra other than his price tag.

G

Gasgas

I know he does. That's why I'd play Pique-Mascherano in the clasico at all costs. I'd even play without a classic DM, after all Madrid will play without one as well most likely.

I hope that doesnt include a xavi-rakitic-iniesta midfield because that would mean death and destruction and probably another 3-1 loss.

JamDav1982

Mathieu has played very poorly when used and stats be damned, we win most of our games despite him being out there, not because he's there. Bartra is better positionally and is a better tackler who can read the game better. Mathieu, even when he was playing "Well" at the start of the season, struggles to even clear the ball correctly, and despite him being much taller, Bartra is more likely to use his head to get the ball clear. Take into consideration that Mathieu is 31 and Bartra is 24 and there's really no reason whatsoever to use the old man in favor of Bartra other than his price tag.

He cant struggle to clear ball all that much, he gives it away less than Barta. In terms of passing % and in turn overs.

Mathieu played really well against Rayo last week and has picked up a bit recently.

Either playing will be weaker defence.

Home of Barca Fans