Martin Montoya

Theconomist

Awesome, the only thing holding him back from becoming a monster RB is having an eye (confidence) for goal, hope this is something he improves over the coming seasons. What a prospect.

For both club and country I'd rather he was solid as a rock with decent link up play than eye for goal. Eye for goal as a wing back, not fifa. Cafu,Carlos,Maldini etc never had an eye for goal, they scored yes but it was never expected of them.

E

estranged

Well, don't you think an eye for goal would have been handy a couple weeks ago against Real?

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Well, don't you think an eye for goal would have been handy a couple weeks ago against Real?

Not a single sane Barça would fan would deny this this observation. However, when it comes to primary attributes of a right-back, goal-scoring ability is definitely not one of them. It is more of an additional luxury to have your right-back score goals, rather than the main concern.

E

estranged

Agree, which is why i said that's the only thing holding him back from being a fully rounded RB. He's rock solid defensively, better than Alves, but the whole point of a full back in todays game is to exploit space and more importantly in barcelona's case provide width (need to get forward once in a while to create width). When there's space in front of you and your opposition are out of shape (there is little risk of repercussions for the full back attacking) and you can get a goal quite, you'd have to be insane to turn down that chance. A fullback who can get goals by just making a storming run and not sacrifice his defensive duties by knowing when to make a run forward, why not? Anyways, I'm sure as his confidence grows he'll start snatching goals here n there. Montoya is a better defender than Alves, but IMO Alves provides a lot more in link up play and stretching the field.

E

estranged

He is not better than Alves in defending zones, but he gets the basics of defensive work spot on whereas Dani doesn't always. the positioning is something that he will naturally improve. Lets just say with this guy as a future RB, we may concede less but also we'll score less.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Really good game from Montoya, the kind of performance I have seen many times with him...He is going to be a great player for the first team

E

estranged

Love how Tito is rotating Montoya with Dani already, signalling to Montoya that this is the level he should be playing at. Really impressed with his concentration given his age and lack of experience. An absolute wall at RB.

abual3bed1

His performance tonight will grant him more minutes this season, he showed he can be so trusted to start in such hell pitch for Barca like Getafe's.

Yugi

he is actually pretty productive
goal vs bate borisov last year in CL, goal vs Croatia last week with Spain, assist to Messi yesterday and if he scored that chance against Madrid......

he just knows when to run in spaces at the right time, very positive from him

Richard.H

goal vs bate borisov last year in CL, goal vs Croatia last week with Spain, assist to Messi yesterday and if he scored that chance against Madrid......

Agreed. I'm so happy that the fullback position in the squad is filled with great players. With Abidal's health problems, it's nice to see so many players stepping up for that LB and RB positions.

Isaac_Cuenca23

This.

It was a great overlapping run for Messi's first goal. OK, the cross was deflected and may not have been originally intended for Messi but the full backs making forward runs and overlapping the wide forwards is something I want to see more of.

Home of Barca Fans