Martin Montoya

spark

I never said it doesn't count, I said it's pointless to use appearances to show how much he played, when he was a late-2nd-half substitute in many of those. Use minutes or prove your point otherwise.

Montoya did not have plenty of chances. Stop lying. He might have been given enough chances, or a fair number of chances considering how good he was, but not plenty. That's simply not true. If there's anyone who wasn't given PLENTY of chances, it's Montoya. Bartra and Thiago weren't given many, either, but they still played more. You know who was given plenty of chances, but didn't convince? Fabregas. That's plenty. And it was incomparably more than Montoya. I'm not arguing that Montoya didn't impress, I'm just tired of people distorting facts and being unfair in trying to prove that he didn't.

Even if talking about minutes it still remains the season where he spent the most physical contact time on the field with 1676' minutes. It was 18 starts and 6 substitute appearances across all competitions for what its worth. People complained about Tello that season as well and he never made more appearances or minutes before or since that season at the club either. What you are describing happened to someone like Jonathan dos Santos or Roberto before the last 6 months but not Montoya.

JamDav1982

I never said Alves wasn't a better player overall than Montoya. But being a top player in general doesn't mean that at any given moment and in any given form you are better than some other non top-level player. That's why form matters. And some of our previous coaches ignored form as if it was an alien concept.

Motonya got a lot of games that season to prove he was better than an off form Alves and he couldnt do it.

The coaches were faced with a bang average full back or arguably best one in the world that was out of form and decided to try and play Alves back into form.

Even then Montoya was not coming in and showing he was anything greater than an off form Alves anyway.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
You said he played 24 games, which he didn't. He appeared 24 times on the pitch, that's not the same. Someone who knows where to find these stats can find out how many games he actually started.

Stop this nonsense. He appeared in 24 games, therefore he played in 24 games. No one said anything about starting or playing full games.

F

Flavia

I never said it doesn't count, I said it's pointless to use appearances to show how much he played, when he was a late-2nd-half substitute in many of those. Use minutes or prove your point otherwise.

Montoya did not have plenty of chances. Stop lying. He might have been given enough chances, or a fair number of chances considering how good he was, but not plenty. That's simply not true. If there's anyone who wasn't given PLENTY of chances, it's Montoya. Bartra and Thiago weren't given many, either, but they still played more. You know who was given plenty of chances, but didn't convince? Fabregas. That's plenty. And it was incomparably more than Montoya. I'm not arguing that Montoya didn't impress, I'm just tired of people distorting facts and being unfair in trying to prove that he didn't.
Lying? Lol. He did have plenty of chances. How you're using Cesc, a proven player brought to be a starter, just shows how your rating of Montoya is completely out of touch with reality.
The only one being unfair with assessments of Montoya is you. He was NEVER that good as you say he was. And that's the truth.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

You're the one arguing without facts. Montoya played 67 games in his Barca career, most of which were full starts btw, he doesn't play in a position you'd generally sub mid-game unless there is an injury. No, when he played, he usually got full games, or at least starts. He also played the most games and most minutes under Tito, which kind of destroys your argument that Tito somehow destroyed his magical would-be career.

He DID get plenty of chances for some fringe youth player to show he actually deserved more, and he showed nothing. Montoya's Barca play is average at best, downright pedestrian likely more accurate.

It is beyond weird the zeal with which you are arguing here about this, and bizarre some of the arguments you are coming up with.

Last edited:

Bran the Greenseer

He was better than Alves straight up sucked and wasn't defending and just made random crosses all the time but thats it. Once alves stopped fucking around there was no way Montoya had a chance to really solidify himself. Turns out we should've let him go along time ago and just put Sergi Roberto there, probably would've been giving Alves some serious competition if he had all that time under his belt. Or atleast we would have a good deputy like we have now.

xXKonan

Carrasco (agent Montoya): "Just a matter of time before he becomes important at Inter. Barça return or joining another team not an option."

Carrasco (agent Montoya): "Exit rumours? Absolutely false. There are no problems. He's adapting, he'll soon prove his worth." [cm]

Vilarrubi

He should have gone to a lesser team if he's not getting minutes at Inter. Him playing minutes at his age is really make or break for his career.

Home of Barca Fans