Martín Zubimendi

khaled_a_d

Ngl this is very strange if Liverpool managed to convince him that quickly. Perhaps it's a personal preference of wanting to go abroad? Who knows.

But the Barca move on paper makes so much sense, we have no real DM so he will play basically every single game, he fits the style perfectly, can stay in La Liga, play with Spanish NT teammates etc. Bizarre that he was so adamant of not wanting to join us then... or were we ever really in for him?

Did Barca ever submit an offer for him, though?
We were highly linked to him in summer of 2022, but he has then renewed, and it seemed that Xavi at the time still preferred Busquets over new CDM.

In 2023 he was the one, however we never had the funds to sign him or anyone else really.

This year, from the moment Xavi was sacked, we were out on CDM, for whatever reason, and even before that we were linked to Onana more than Zubimendi.

And interestingly though, he rejected both Arsenal and Manu and Chelsea before that.
So, it is kind of weird change of heart.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

I don't care why he accepted Liverpool so quickly.

I dont care that he didn't want to come here , though I doubt that was the case.

All I care is that he is not here because he is bang, bang, super bang average.

Thank you Liverpool for saving us from another spectacle of stupidity from our Sporting Department Special Olympics Team.

It's only a shame Leipzig could not have done the same.

Masetro10

I don't care why he accepted Liverpool so quickly.

I dont care that he didn't want to come here , though I doubt that was the case.

All I care is that he is not here because he is bang, bang, super bang average.

Thank you Liverpool for saving us from another spectacle of stupidity from our Sporting Department Special Olympics Team.

It's only a shame Leipzig could not have done the same.
Marc Bernal is similar to him except he has better build.

Andresito

Staff member
Well to me it's simple.

We were interested last summer but then he felt he wanted to play CL with Sociedad. Plus our lack of funds.
This season Sociedad won't be in CL and he already made them a favour staying last year. In comes Liverpool, not Barca, wanting to sign him. And he decides to leave.

Porque

Probably just the right timing. Liverpool do not pay that well and are structured. So it is not just about the money

By reports Liverpool said they will pay the clause but asked Society to negotiate, which with Zubi seemingly now interesting in a move, they will be flexible on the payment terms.

I don't think we ever genuinely were interested at a point where Zubi was ready to go. And by that, it Is basically the bucket list of CL football with Society.

Probably sees that their cycle is over and he doesn't have the time to stay their now being mid 20s.

So yeah, if we were genuinely in this Summer we would have a shot. Or if Xavi had stayed and demanded him as first choice.

But alas, seems the board wants attackers. Which to be fair we are pretty lightweight offensively.

Andresito

Staff member
Probably just the right timing. Liverpool do not pay that well and are structured. So it is not just about the money
Zubi makes around 3m at Sociedad. Liverpool can easily double that and he'd still have 10 players making more than him.

In fact, they pay Gravenberch 9m but that's probably because of his Bayern contract.

Relatively to what he makes today he'll get a big boost at Liverpool.

Porque

Zubi makes around 3m at Sociedad. Liverpool can easily double that and he'd still have 10 players making more than him.

In fact, they pay Gravenberch 9m but that's probably because of his Bayern contract.

Agreed.

Birdy

Still, their wage bill is day and night compared to ours.
They only give Salah (22m), VVD (14m), and Trent (11m) above 10m per season, while top notch players like Diaz and Konate get 3-4m per season
Zubi is very much justified to get a 6m contract in their wage structure

Is Ansu Raphina Kounde justified to get 12-14m? Is Gundo to get 18m? Is Lewa to get 33m? Is damn Frenkie justified to get 37m per season???

If Fatporta was making an offer to Zubi he would easily give away a 12m contract, which would have been double what he will get at Pool

PS: People need to realize that Fatporta has not rectified the Bartomeu damage, because he STILL PAYS WELL ABOVE THE MARKET for no reason whatsoever

Birdy

Apparently, Imanol and Sociedad board has launched a last-minute offensive to convince him to stay

That includes reminding him of the scenery of Basque mountains, and the tasty local food :LOL:

Messi983

Hope he stays, there is not much loyalty anymore in football and Sociedad will already lose two key players.

Home of Barca Fans