Matthijs de Ligt

cris29

My issues with De Ligt are his price+salary+fatman commission as a highly rated player from the Dutch league is a flip of a coin as to whether they'll succeed or not, and his lack of pace. Hopefully, we will go back to having a high pressing game with a high line in the future and i would like to have a fast CB for once. CB was not an issue this season at all, it was shitty centre midfield doing nothing + terrible finishing upfront, and Alba having his worst game ever in our most important game of the season.

Last edited:

Jair Ventura

[MD] | PSG is unsure about De Ligt's intentions and is following the track of Koulibaly.According to Soccer Link, the Parisian club has already made an offer for the center-back of Napoli to his agent

PSG recruited Koulibaly alongside De Ligt, as a backup plan encase the deal falls through. This was reported weeks ago.

Spanish media is literally a joke.

xXKonan

The beauty these days is finding a good young Talented CB isn't that difficult anymore as it once was. Far different from the days of 2011-2014 where we believed that the likes of Bartra can somehow become the new Puyol.

Says a lot about the development of CBs these days and how smaller teams can keep pumping them out and not only that have modern play styles, as in being good at building out the back along with high-level potential when it comes to defending as well.

On the other hand, finding good young strikers and Fullbacks and to an extent, CMs depending on your style are becoming pretty difficult to find.

Last edited:

Ajax

I highly doubt we are lowballing him. Just because PSG or others doubled our offer and came up with ridiculous wages for him it doesn't mean we are lowballing him. He is just 19, and a CB and he doesn't deserve to be paid more than De Jong. Even if we went with the reported 7.5m to 8m net per year, that is hardly lowballing.

He can go wherever he wants.

When barca lowballs for good reasons (valuation, wage structure) it makes sense but its still an offer below the apparent market value of the player.

Sure the wages are insane. Nobody disagrees on that. I understand barca doesnt want to pay him more than FdJ. It makes a lot of sense to pay them the same. As a professional football player it's part of the game to sign the right contract, at the right moment. You could say that FdJ signed too early. After the stellar CL performance both him and Ajax could have received much more this summer but they didn't want to take the risk. MdL did.. so he gets a better deal..

Donatello

Jesus fucking christ, some are talking about De Ligt like he is Ronaldinho or something.

- We are more or less set for 2 more years at CB;
- He is not the best CB in the world yet;
- We have a fucked up wage structure;
- Our more pressing needs lie in midfield and attack, new defenders can take a back seat;
- CBs/defenders have always been less important than forwards and midfielders, who are, rightfully, paid more every damn time, both in wages and transfer fees.

Considering all the above, and going by the reports that we are offering him De Jong level wages(in the range of 5m to 10m net by all accounts), then Bartomeu has done enough. If he rejects us then fair enough and good luck to him. At Barcelona he's not entitled to get more and if some other team decides that he's worth 15m or 20m then good luck to them too. We should not increase our offer, not even by 1m and if we do match whatever PSG/United etc. are rumored to offer then I'd be rather disappointed in us caving like that to Raiola's and De Ligt's demands.

Wow, I was actually pro De Ligt, but this makes sense.

De Ligt snubbing us or vice versa isn't as bad as it seems.

Although Why I needed De Ligt instead of any other defender was because of his leadership. We are in absolute need of them at the moment and De ligt can be one of them, and could be here for years.

Donatello

When barca lowballs for good reasons (valuation, wage structure) it makes sense but its still an offer below the apparent market value of the player.

Sure the wages are insane. Nobody disagrees on that. I understand barca doesnt want to pay him more than FdJ. It makes a lot of sense to pay them the same. As a professional football player it's part of the game to sign the right contract, at the right moment. You could say that FdJ signed too early. After the stellar CL performance both him and Ajax could have received much more this summer but they didn't want to take the risk. MdL did.. so he gets a better deal..

No, if he does well I'm pretty sure he can get better wages. Remember we pay around 100M to Messi, we can definitely do much better with De Ligt than what he will earn at the start (which, is also not low by any means either).

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

7.5m net is NOT lowballing, period. Once again, just because PSG and some other clubs throw everything at De Ligt and his greedy agent, that doesn't mean we are lowballing, nor does it establish the actual market value for him. It is mostly bubble. De Ligt is good but he is not worth that much money (I mean his salary).

No, the rumored amount that we are paying De Jong is high enough. Either way, it is preposterous to think De Ligt can walk into any club demanding upwards 10m net a year plus bonuses at the stage of his career right now.

I agree with other forumites that we should just stick to our offer or walk away at this point.

VN10

7.5m net is NOT lowballing, period. Once again, just because PSG and some other clubs throw everything at De Ligt and his greedy agent, that doesn't mean we are lowballing, nor does it establish the actual market value for him. It is mostly bubble. De Ligt is good but he is not worth that much money (I mean his salary).

If you are going to post complete nonsense, please atleast use 'I think' rather than 'it is'.
Cause yeah, your comment is not factual and very objective besides being super false.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If you are going to post complete nonsense, please atleast use 'I think' rather than 'it is'.
Cause yeah, your comment is not factual and very objective besides being super false.

Which part of my comment above is "complete nonsense"? That we are not lowballing? That De Ligt is not worth that much money? OK, how much do you think De Ligt is worth being paid? 10m net? 15m net? 20m net?

I do want to thank you for saying my comment is "objective" though. :lol:

VN10

Most of it is.

The European market is the most important and deciding aspect of the global football market and has, mainly through the top clubs, the biggest influence on the global football market. It's not China, where the market is a 'bubble' as you describe it. And even that wouldnt be wise to describe as a bubble. It's more of the price China pays to convice players to come play there. Similar to Qatar and some other rich middle Eastern competitions.

It's just funny, that you deny 'the actual market' while you, mister Lufty himself, decides it's not the actual market on your own.

Well I added that, cause you seem convinced of you own rubbish and present it as factual.

Last edited:

Ajax

Which part of my comment above is "complete nonsense"? That we are not lowballing? That De Ligt is not worth that much money? OK, how much do you think De Ligt is worth being paid? 10m net? 15m net? 20m net?

I do want to thank you for saying my comment is "objective" though. :lol:

With lowballing I mean offering him a quite a lot below his apparent market value because Barca thinks he

a) wants to play there regardless and save some money
b) because they value him at that amount and/ or
c) they dont think its good for their wage structure

I agree that if a Chinese team would offer him 30m it's not market value but we are talking about European topclubs that compete on the highest level.

Not saying that barca should offer him 15m or that he is worth that much

VN10

With lowballing I mean offering him a quite a lot below his apparent market value because Barca thinks he

a) wants to play there regardless and save some money
b) because they value him at that amount and/ or
c) they dont think its good for their wage structure

I agree that if a Chinese team would offer him 30m it's not market value but we are talking about European topclubs that compete on the highest level.

Not saying that barca should offer him 15m or that he is worth that much

No dude! Lufty decides the market value! Not the topclubs!

Home of Barca Fans