Mavericky Puig

KingLeo10

It is coaches job to select players or dismiss them, irrelevant of their history.
There is 25 players in the squad, they can't give fair chance to everyone either.

If Puig hadn't been one of the better performers towards the end of last season you'd have a point...

You'd also have a point if Alena who has never performed for us wasn't being given chances ahead of Puig...

Koeman is being petty here and it's unbecoming of him. Hope he enjoys being cucked by Messi in return.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

It's quite safe to say:
Arthur is gone and now Puig has taken his role of being by far the most overrated player by our fanbase.

Stunning.

KingLeo10

It's quite safe to say:
Arthur is gone and now Puig has taken his role of being by far the most overrated player by our fanbase.

Stunning.

:lol: All people are asking for is him to get a game or two ahead of Alena and Busquets. No one is saying he is a starter.

The only stunning thing is your hyperbole. As usual.

tacticvarium

Why some people here act like Koeman is ruining a generational talent?
Riqui has never been rated THAT highly by either La Masia coaches, First team managers, or International Youth team managers/coaches in Spain unlike how David Silva, Juan Mata, Thiago, Isco, etc. were always considered great talents (Not gonna even mention Xavi+Iniesta).
These football experts are not that dumb as some people might think.
It is only the online fan base that sees Puig as an insanely huge talent, to be honest.
Even if he has the potentials to be a decent level player in La Liga, Barca won't lose much even if his development is ruined by Koeman since such a talent will emerge again anyways either from La Masia or the outside.

Last edited:

Birdy

Name: Puig
Job: Zidane

:worthy:

Iniesta's nephew...

I wrote two pages back why I think Koeman does not play him.

However, he was not that bad as a '6' in the double pivot next to Frenkie in the friendly against Taragona.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-3gTVU_9OE
It's not his natural position, but he would be more useful than Busi there against LaLiga fodder that sit back and park the bus, when you need creativity from the back lines as well...

khaled_a_d

If Puig hadn't been one of the better performers towards the end of last season you'd have a point...

You'd also have a point if Alena who has never performed for us wasn't being given chances ahead of Puig...

Koeman is being petty here and it's unbecoming of him. Hope he enjoys being cucked by Messi in return.

A-I was replying to the general points you make, about coaches making up their mind. It will always happen and I think it is understandable.

B-In official matches, Puig got 3 minutes this year, Alena got 7, hardly "being given chances ahead of Puig"

Those 2 and Matheus Fernandes has played total of 10 minutes, they are clearly in Koemann doghouse. They are our end of the bench players out of our 24 official squad players.
Umtit isn't yet known since he was never healthy this year, Braithwaite had 37 minutes in 5 games after.

C-I am not fan of Puig, but I do think he deserves a better chance tbh. I think his performance last year warrants some playing time this season, and once season settles a bit it should happen. That is something I think we can agree.

Edit: That is why I always say 20 outfield players are the ideal number, it gives enough squad depth and give all players a fair chance.
This squad has a pseudo depth, and players like Puig and Alena are paying the price

Last edited:

Laplacian

"Puig struggles with this, struggles with that"

So many preconceived weaknesses that are actually not based on his match performances at all.

Last edited:

vegitot

Iniesta's nephew...

I wrote two pages back why I think Koeman does not play him.

However, he was not that bad as a '6' in the double pivot next to Frenkie in the friendly against Taragona.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-3gTVU_9OE
It's not his natural position, but he would be more useful than Busi there against LaLiga fodder that sit back and park the bus, when you need creativity from the back lines as well...
Imagine compare Laliga teams to Gimnastic.

JohnN

Ronald Koeman: "Riqui Puig? He needs to improve in many ways. The rhythm of the ball, his physique, competing..." [l'esportiu]

ITS TIME TO GO

Physique is obvious.
Rhythm of the ball.. he was the best in the squad at this last season, is RK serious here?
Copmeting: this is an interesting one, since he hasn't gotten a single minute, so there are literally no criteria.

BBZ8800

He can at least drop the players that are delivering average performances and see how the other players perform. Btw I don't even rate Puig that highly either , but the guy is really getting done dirty by Koeman. Especially when you have the likes of Busquets having one disasterclass after the other and Fdj dropping several average performances.

Why are you mentioning Busi and Frenkie with Puig?
They don't compete for the same position.

Please guys, whoever from now on mentions Puig and a double pivot in the same sentence, should autoban himself from forum for 7 days ;)

I think that is more than fair considering how much nonsense is in the idea of playing Puig as a pivot.
I literally can't think of a worse option for a pivot in the last 15 years.

Halil, Denis, Riki.
Those 3 combined couldn't make a proper defensive tackle.

Even in women's football match.

Last edited:

Neeraj

Why are you mentioning Busi and Frenkie with Puig?
They don't compete for the same position.

Please guys, whoever from now on mentions Puig and a double pivot in the same sentence, should autoban himself from forum for 7 days ;)

I think that is more than fair considering how much nonsense is in the idea of playing Puig as a pivot.
I literally can't think of a worse option for a pivot in the last 15 years.

Halil, Denis, Riki.
Those 3 combined couldn't make a proper defensive tackle.

Even in women's football match.

While I agree with that sentiment, that's not necessarily true for a Barca 'pivot' though. A Barca 'pivot' is not a destroyer, and does not go around disrupting play and making challenges to win back possession. The role which Busquets has been doing is primarily that of transition of the ball from the defense to the forward line, while slotting in to fill gaps where they may appear. If you want someone who can tackle and be strong, Busquets isn't your main anyway!

Busuqets is so weak and so slow he cannot tackle for shit. He makes some sliding challenges but I don't see Puig being any better or worse in that regard. However, Puig has shown a lot more stamina, and will be better than this current Busuqets at basically everything.

I'm not suggesting that a pivot is his best position, but it's not absurd to think that Puig would do a better job than Busquets at that position. That's saying more about Busquets than Puig tbh, but Koeman is love struck with Busquets for whatever reason, just like Valverde, Setien and Luis Enrique.

BBZ8800

While I agree with that sentiment, that's not necessarily true for a Barca 'pivot' though. A Barca 'pivot' is not a destroyer, and does not go around disrupting play and making challenges to win back possession. The role which Busquets has been doing is primarily that of transition of the ball from the defense to the forward line, while slotting in to fill gaps where they may appear. If you want someone who can tackle and be strong, Busquets isn't your main anyway!

Busuqets is so weak and so slow he cannot tackle for shit. He makes some sliding challenges but I don't see Puig being any better or worse in that regard. However, Puig has shown a lot more stamina, and will be better than this current Busuqets at basically everything.

I'm not suggesting that a pivot is his best position, but it's not absurd to think that Puig would do a better job than Busquets at that position. That's saying more about Busquets than Puig tbh, but Koeman is love struck with Busquets for whatever reason, just like Valverde, Setien and Luis Enrique.

What you said about Busquets: maybe that is part of the reason why we managed to win only 1 CL with prime Messi in 9 years?
And why we conceded 24 goals in the last 6 big away matches (2:0 Atletico, 4:0 Psg, 3:0 Juve, 3:0 Roma, 4:0 Liverpool, 8:2 Bayern).

Due to shitty Barca DNA ideas about pivots like Busquets, ball playing defenders and goalkeepers good with feet?

Pre-Pep our pivots were 186 cm Edmilson, pitbull Edgar Davids, 187 Motta, 187 psycho dirty tackler Van Bommel, 184 Marquez, 188 Yaya Toure.
All of them (except Davids) were tall, all of them were quite strong, good defenders, good tacklers, good in the air.

And then came Pep with Busquets.

So, instead of continuing Pep's crazy ideas, maybe it's time to click a reset button and go back to football basics where Busi and especially Puig are not pivots.

Last edited:

Messi983

Barca has an option to extend his contract until 2023 and there were reports some weeks ago they're already negotiating with him a new contract. He doesn't want to leave anyway regardless if he plays or not.

BBZ, are you aware that Busi is 189 cm, so higher than those guys you've mentioned?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans