Mavericky Puig

serghei

What's the point then? We have enough depth in midfield.

We have enough depth in midfield with Puig included. Coutinho, Roberto, these are players that should be moved. Busi's time cut down in half at best. So, this clears a lot of minutes from the Koeman days.

JamDav1982

We have enough depth in midfield with Puig included. Coutinho, Roberto, these are players that should be moved. Busi's time cut down in half at best. So, this clears a lot of minutes from the Koeman days.

Not a lot of minutes cleared really when Gavi and Nico have emerged.

serghei

Not a lot of minutes cleared really when Gavi and Nico have emerged.

Yes, but IMO, closest to Coutinho is Puig. You said it yourself that he is the most AM from our youngsters. Anyway, the main point is to make De Jong shine by playing him continuously in his best position (whichever Xavi thinks that is), develop Pedri, and give time to these 3 youngsters. What they do with their game time will dictate what happens next.

Washed-up flops should get benched until they leave.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Yes, but IMO, closest to Coutinho is Puig. You said it yourself that he is the most AM from our youngsters. Anyway, the main point is to make De Jong shine, develop Pedri, and give time to these 3 youngsters.

I said if Barca play AM then as back up that is only role can see him playing and best suited.

Cant seem Xavi playing that way or thinking they need a Coutinho back up when he leaves.

Puig is not a youngster.

There wont be enough minutes to keep three back up CMs happy... unless one is just happy to be there.

Bobo32

I don't know if he'll start every game, it's tough to say. I wouldn't be massively surprised if he did become a true starter.
But since I wrote those famous words about Puig playing like a top 5 midfielder, Pedri had a wonderful EURO, and Nico (whom I praised since I first saw him in Barcelona B) broke through, together with Gavi, who I think is similarly talented as Puig, but much younger.

I wouldn't switch midfield line-up with any club in the world, I think it is GREAT, maybe GOAT potential right now. I would want to see Busquets-Puig-Gavi with Pedri in the attack and Frenkie as a defender, with Nico rotating with Puig and Gavi.

Horatio

You're welcome
Not even Bobo believe that lol

Yeah, Bobo is are already backtracking and it is clear he does not have the same conviction as before. "I wouldn't be MASSIVELY surprised if he did become a true started"? That is a pretty safe claim and even the haters can say it.

Wish Puig best of luck but nobody surprised at this point if he does not make it.

Birdy

I wouldn't switch midfield line-up with any club in the world, I think it is GREAT, maybe GOAT potential right now. I would want to see Busquets-Puig-Gavi with Pedri in the attack and Frenkie as a defender, with Nico rotating with Puig and Gavi.

That part ain't happening.
It would always be 3 of Busi,Pedri,Gavi,Nico, and Puig
Not bad to have 5 options for 3 slots, especially when looking at Busi's age

But that supposes Frenkie plays at the back. We will see about that

Bobo32

Yeah, Bobo is are already backtracking and it is clear he does not have the same conviction as before. "I wouldn't be MASSIVELY surprised if he did become a true started"? That is a pretty safe claim and even the haters can say it.

Wish Puig best of luck but nobody surprised at this point if he does not make it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all tbh. I still rate him higher than the other midfielders bar Busquets.
I could see Xavi not agreeing with me though, and being able to use him as a sub at most without making me very disappointed. I think Gavi, Pedri and Frenkie are top 5 potential midfielders, too, and if Xavi finds a way to get a functioning midfield out of another combination I won't moan. The midfield under Koeman was mostly terrible, and Puig was criminally underused, especially since he was such an improvement the little he got to play.

behindbrowneyes

He'll definitely get more time than he did under Koeman (which isn't difficult). Would be surprised though if he ever comes over the role of being a sub. He successfully "outwaited" Koeman, but some new talents emerged during that time. All of them are much younger than him, some of them already debuted for the Spanish national team. Now Nico is there too and I'm sure Xavi followed Barca very closely in the last few months. There is not much speaking for Puig. He hasn't significantly more experience than rookies Gavi and Nico despite being in the squad for years now. No need to mention even Pedri in the same sentence after the season he had.

Home of Barca Fans