Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

If all coaches "don't see" how good he is then that might just mean he doesn't have what it takes. And not even just for Barca, it's the same for Spain with just 200 minutes for the U21 team.

Other youngsters overtake him left and right, if he wants to have a decent career he should leave sooner rather than later. He isn't a bad player but i don't see him ever have a bigger role at the club.

Yes I am more and more understanding that he might need to leave in order to play.
I have probably written this 10 times in this thread already, but:
I am very impressed by him staying and waiting out Koeman. He had his reasons to stay both in summer and in winter under him, and also Messi was there then.
I don't think Koeman gave him any earnest points to work on or any reasons, he just didn't like him. I am sure Xavi has his reasons, and that he is open about them towards Puig. At first, I thought it was mostly about Puig being out of match fitness and also Xavi not wanting to change too much at once, but I am soon realizing Xavi doesn't really rate him. Maybe he wants him to change some things before he trusts him.

Maybe he is terrible in training (I gave Koeman the same benefit of the doubt tbh). I don't watch trainings. But he is playing VERY well considering circumstances every minute he gets.

Gnidrologist

Think it's his tactical awareness that hasn't improved one yota since he's been here. He has great skills, good passer, but the running around rather aimlessly that many here have noticed is probably the main issue.

Bobo32

Think it's his tactical awareness that hasn't improved one yota since he's been here. He has great skills, good passer, but the running around rather aimlessly that many here have noticed is probably the main issue.

To me it looks more like one or two "noticed" and then the rest cling on to that explanation.
I don't see it at all but see a player with tactical awareness and especially positioning as his main strength. His technique is decent enough and he is pretty quick, but his main strength is how he relates to the ball and the players.
He rarely comes deep to get the ball (especially in relation to Pedri or de Jong, who does that too much) but rather stays in behind the midfield so that the passes reaching him beats opponents - still he sees the ball sometimes twice or triple as much as Pedri or de Jong.
Defensively he is very aggressive and looks to put pressure on the opponents. I like it and want the rest of the team to follow, but if the manager does not like it it is just a question of telling him to stay back more. He is good at covering too.

Check his last 90min (one of the few): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcr-4yspRaI
Almost nothing he does is difficult technically or physically, it all relies on tactical awareness.

Rumcajs

Banned
Mainly his positioning when we're in defensive. Offensively he's very good, always giving other an outlet and being good on the ball himself. Think Xavi is just scared to put him in against serious opposition because of his defensive ability. And i'm not talking about ability to hustle, which he also is not that bad at, but leaving huge swats of field open for penetration due to his chaotic movements and zeal to press, where it's not necessary. It's an IQ thing. His defensive is certainly no on the par of likes of Gavi and Pedri. While Busquets leaves gaping holes in defence because he's old geriatric, who's too old for this shit, Puig does this because is tactically silly. I wonder if Xavi really could drill this part into his brain or he's just such a maverick.

Bobo32

Mainly his positioning when we're in defensive. Offensively he's very good, always giving other an outlet and being good on the ball himself. Think Xavi is just scared to put him in against serious opposition because of his defensive ability. And i'm not talking about ability to hustle, which he also is not that bad at, but leaving huge swats of field open for penetration due to his chaotic movements and zeal to press, where it's not necessary. It's an IQ thing. His defensive is certainly no on the par of likes of Gavi and Pedri. While Busquets leaves gaping holes in defence because he's old geriatric, who's too old for this shit, Puig does this because is tactically silly. I wonder if Xavi really could drill this part into his brain or he's just such a maverick.

I shall try not to be boring and repeat myself too much.
You say it's mostly defensive, I don't think that's what most are saying. But I agree more with you than with them.

About the defensive part:
It is not about IQ but habits and intentions, and you should also be aware Puig has played 90mins exactly 2 times since the start of last season, starting four times, it has mostly been the last 5mins or so for him.
Of course he will be even more eager to pressure, and of course some players around him might struggle to keep up at the later stages of the game. The principle is the closest player puts pressure on the ball, and the rest follow. If you manage to get into pressuring distance, it should never be your fault if the ball ends up behind you (if you don't let the player you pressure run past you). Yeah if you let the player pass a nutmeg through you (as in that "famous clip" from a few weeks back) it is also your fault but it happens I guess. The more obvious and clear your pressing is the better, more or less. I do not think Puig is late to pressure a lot.

For a team like Barcelona it is more crucial to keep the pressure, especially directly after losing the ball. I thought I showed some pretty striking examples from Peps Barcelona a few pages back where the midfielders went crazy running after the ball and were outplayed only for the defenders to pick up the next challenge. Barcelona can't really sit back and wait, one big problem the last years has been Pedris and Frenkies tendency to fall back and sit in the laps of the defenders, Rakitic was the same too.

Pedri has got "long legs" and wins the ball pretty often despite being a bit slow to pressure and being out of position a lot. Gavi is a lot better, but is much too aggressive in the challenges themselves still.

JamDav1982

Offensively he is about the worst CM Barca have when it comes to opening up the opposition and looking for a goal.

Does little but pass ball quickly to first man he sees. That or a longer pass to someone wide on right is about all he does 9 times out of 10.

This idea that Puig is one of the best at making the final pass is lunacy.

Never has been.

ajnotkeith

Big chance tomorrow. Time to get that bottle out [MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION], and let's see if we see a Mavericky masterclass tomorrow.

It will take a lot to change his current squad position, but he has a chance to show he has something to offer.

Bobo32

Big chance tomorrow. Time to get that bottle out [MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION], and let's see if we see a Mavericky masterclass tomorrow.

It will take a lot to change his current squad position, but he has a chance to show he has something to offer.

Should stop drinking as much after this winter break and try to get up fresh on monday, but then again it might be my only chance to open that bottle with Puig starting...
It's a tough spot for him, I think only goals or assists is enough now, but he plays in a position where that's not what he should be judged by, and the big thing I'd want him to improve is his patience...

I think it would be a lot easier for him if Busquets and/or Alves was available too.

Home of Barca Fans