Maxwell

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
Yep, hes THAT bad. He couldn't even get a back-up role at a club like inter ffs.
We certainly deserve better.

We almost always concede when he plays. Hes neither good going forward nor at defending. And, if our regular is out for some reason, he 'll make matters worse. Hes a liability. Average at best.

Also, at fault for Sevilla's first goal the other day.

Hes only looked good playing in friendlies with the kids. Says it all. (most inter fans 'll tell u hes rubbish)
I think the reason for him being back-up at Inter is economic. They either wanna cash in big on Santon or they wanna watch him develop. Would you bench Santon(one of the biggest prospects of Europe) for Maxwell who's not getting much better than the level he's playing at now? :)

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Yep, hes THAT bad. He couldn't even get a back-up role at a club like inter ffs.
We certainly deserve better.

We almost always concede when he plays. Hes neither good going forward nor at defending. And, if our regular is out for some reason, he 'll make matters worse. Hes a liability. Average at best.

Also, at fault for Sevilla's first goal the other day.

Hes only looked good playing in friendlies with the kids. Says it all. (most inter fans 'll tell u hes rubbish)
That is being overly harsh, zanela.

He didn't play in the CL bar 3 minutes vs Inter, granted, but he is a back-up player so i don't expect that from him. We can leave the CL out of the equation so far.

He played 7 Liga games, 6 full games. 4 goals conceded in 3 games.
-Atletico:
goal by Kun: ridiculous header by Busquets, Maxwell not to blame.
goal by Forlan: kick by Valdes returned by an Atletico player who was not to be covered by Maxwell, nor was Forlan. Maxwell not to blame.
-Zaragoza:
Came from his side, wasn't the only who acted like a twat but he can be blamed so fair.
-Atlethic:
Kick by the goalie, prolonged by a player who was not to be covered by Maxwell and scored on Alves his side. Maxwell not to blame.

He played 3 Copa games, 2 goals conceded in one game
-Sevilla
First goal: Sorry Maxwell
second goal: wrongfully called penalty by the ref (but it was on his side I believe so you could blame him but certainly not alone)

Played 1 Supercopa game, no goals conceded.

So, nearly 1000 minutes played as a back-up, 6 goals conceded with him with only 3 goals (actually just 2) on his record.

I have to mention this as well: each time he can be blamed for a goal, he wasn't playing with THE defense. There was either Marquez or Chygrynskiy playing next to him.

He gave also 2 assists in the Liga.

Hence, I feel you are being overly harsh. He has been playing OK with the first team, otherwise the results of his nearly 1000 minutes would be different. He is not a super player, but that is not his role.

I think to know you would rather put a youth player in his place but I won't condone that.

zanela

And ur being overy generous, gneg.

U seem very content with mediocrity these days. I'm not. We 've set the highest standards in club football and i won't compromise on that. Not with any player.

I couldn't care less with what back line he starts with. Our defense never looks stable and organised with his presence. He could've been directly involved in only a couple of goals conceded, but he doesn't offer the required solidity to the defense which is why we concede more when he plays.

Are u trying to tell me we(BCITW) don't deserve better for a back-up? I mean, even Pep doesn't seem to rate him at all with the way hes used him so far. He''ll rather play a half-fit Abi over the useless Brazilian. Eg, Inter.

If it wasn't for that incompetent sporting director of ours, he'd be playing for some bottom league club in Serie A or La liga 'coz that's his level right now. Certainly not for us.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
No, u came up with a statement like "We almost always concede when he plays" which is not true. Far from as he usually doesn't play with our best defense (which of course does matter).

I'm not generous, nor harsh. I said he isn't a super player (he obviously isn't), but neither is he like you describe him in your posts (no, he really isn't). He is normal, good football player that happens to make mistakes. He is useful in the squad.

Why wouldn't Pep rate him? He played him far more than Caceres last season. He gave Maxwell more minutes than Chygrynskiy this season. It is because Abidal has just been playing well. But again: Maxwell is here as a back-up. I am very curious which great LB you would have signed for 4,5 mil that would love to take place at the bench? Is Abidal such a superb LB? He does his thing but is also insecure in some defensive situations.

Also, I am fed up with people blaming Txiki for everything and everyone. He certainly isn't the best around and looks to be a putz but how much exactly do we know about him and what he does in the club? Players and staff can be clearly judged. But do we know how it works behond the scenes? Do we know what Pep instructs him? Do we know who Txiki trusts or has to trust within the club? Again, sort of the same as with Maxwell: Txiki is someone who does good things and who does bad things but he is easy to blame so he will be blamed with somehow everything.

It might be just my feeilng but posts on this forum are becoming increasingly negative. I started to notice this during the match chat but it seemed to be pretty much situated on there. Recently it has conquered the forum. Zlatanthread has its share, matchthreads where we lost are just simply unreadable at times, Chygrynskiy has its part of blind hate, The Yayathread polarised, and so on and on. Is this the backfire of last superb season? Can't we just accept that sometimes things just don't go your way and do we have to find people to blame? I don't know. I absolutely enjoy this forum generally but I feel it is very much more in to be negative than last year.

The last paragraph is not directed towards you, zanela.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
That was in fact exactly my message to some of the members around here. (and to you about Maxwell!)

zanela

ok, 'll do that but doesn't change my opinion about him.
Not everyone can 've the same opinion. If i'm not happy with what i see, i'll say it.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
ok, 'll do that but doesn't change my opinion about him.
Not everyone can 've the same opinion. If i'm not happy with what i see, i'll say it.
:hug:

You can say it.

though, I still want to know which LB would have been better than Maxwell for 4,5 million. (and no Athletic players as they might hav potential but can't be played in the first team for now imo)

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Max was part of Ibra deal, I don't think Txiki had anything to do it, like he didn't do much in Ibra transfer. Still doesn't change the fact that guy is useless (Txiki, not Max). Maxwell is a backup for Abidal and so far hasn't complained. Could have done better but overall it's what it is. A squad player.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
I don't know. I thought he was in his last year of contract which made him cheap + he was not really wanted by Inter anyway?

zanela

though, I still want to know which LB would have been better than Maxwell for 4,5 million. (and no Athletic players as they might hav potential but can't be played in the first team for now imo)

Here is what i think we should 've done...

29.5 (4.5+ 25 frm chyg transfer)

Buy Kjaer and Luiz with it. Luiz can play LB.
For 30M, we could 've bought 2 of the best upcoming defenders in the world. And, both are solid and better defenders than Maxwell and Chyg.

Or
We can sell Henrique and Caceres for 25 and still buy Kjaer.

I know, i should 've been the Sporting Director. :blush:

Last edited:

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
I don't know. I thought he was in his last year of contract which made him cheap + he was not really wanted by Inter anyway?
Just to elaborate:
"In July 2006, Inter officially announced the signing of Maxwell on a four-year contract as a domestic transfer."
He was free agent before he joined Inter. That would explain the rather cheap transfer fee so I don't think he was part of the Zlatan deal. He did, however, make it more easy probably for Zlatan in Barcelona.

Here is what i think we should 've done...

29.5 (4.5+ 25 frm chyg transfer)

Buy Kjaer and Luiz with it. Luiz can play LB.
For 30M, we could 've bought 2 of the best upcoming defenders in the world. And, both are solid and better defenders than Maxwell and Chyg.

Or
We can sell Henrique and Caceres for 25 and still buy Kjaer.

I know, i should 've been the Sporting Director. :blush:
I don't know, at the time when Maxwell was signed, there was no sign of getting Chyg at all so I especially wanted that 4,5 mill replacement, not possible 15 million. Of course, for 15 million you can get other players.

(Chyg was by the way VERY solid when we played him. He was one of the reasons the Supercup took extra-time to be won)

I do agree on the selling of Henrique and Caceres (as Pep doesn't love them).

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans